LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Engine replacement options

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 09:28 PM

Engine replacement options

Just seeing what fellow camaro enthusiasts think. I have a bone stock 94' Camaro z28 and am looking to swap out the engine for something with more horsepower. I want to continue to use it as a daily driver but also want to keep up with the newer performance cars out there. I have been looking into a jeggs or jasper 383 stroker. Looking to spend around $6000.00 to include engine, labor, etc. Live in California right now so smogging it is an issue at least for the next 2 years.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:09 AM
Administrator

Re: Engine replacement options

There's nothing you can do with a Gen 1 small block Chevy that you can't do with a Gen 2 LT1 SBC. You can build a 383ci LT1, produce very good HP, use a cam that will pass emissions. They won't be able to tell the engine from stock, visually. I don't know how you could smog an older, Gen 1 SBC (if that's what Jegg's or Jasper is selling) in a 4th Gen chassis in CA.

The alternative would possibly be a NEWER engine in your older chassis. The LS1 would be a possibility, but you would have to investigate the intricacies of smogging a Gen 3 SBC in the 94 chassis.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:21 PM

Op

I would think there are a few "qualified" builder/machine shops up in Bakersfield. Building a good 383 short block and getting a H/C set up from Lloyd Elliott or Advanced Induction AND a tune you would be good to go. While the LT1 is a SBC....confirm a local builder knows WTF they are doing with these engines. 11.5 compression is no big deal to the reverse cooled motor. Here in Calif we only get 91 octane so the tuner if mail order will have to know that

If you are not doing this swap yourself it is going to cost $. If you can do the swap yourself Golen engines is where I got my forged 383 shortblock and had heads done at Race Prep (no longer in biz) and got a mild cam. Ed Wright did the mail order tune and I pass smog with no problems here in Calif.

ERE Ellwein Engines Home Page is highly regarded also as a builder. Both Golen & ERE will require shipping but sounds like you were headed there if looking at JEGS or Jasper (don't)
Old 01-03-2015, 01:12 PM

$6k budget isn't too bad for a good upgrade, you'll basically be looking at a bottom end rebuild with some forged pistons and a plate hone, stud the mains for consideration of future upgrades, then do a head and cam package.

My disclaimer comes because the transmissions and rearends in these cars are made of glass, it's very likely that you'll need to upgrade both of those as well once you're trying to put more power to the ground, and that should be a consideration if your budget is tight and if it's a daily driver.