LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Electric Meziere waterpump noise

Old 03-16-2016, 02:53 AM

Electric Meziere waterpump noise

Just wondering i anyone has had this problem, after the car gets warmed up the water pump will make a irratic whining/squeal noise only for a few seconds after you shut the car off and turn the key back to the key on engine off position. I have them wired to an ABS relay that had source voltage during the run and acc position.
One tech person at meziere said i need to drill 3 3/16 holes in the thermostat but nowhere on their page or install instructions does it say that for the LT1 application. Called them back and a new person said no drilling of holes needed in the thermostat for the LT1. Said it still might have air in it. If anyone has come across this let me know.

96 ws6 transam
383 lt1
AFR 210 heads ported
Solid roll .648 int .650 exh.
Duration @.050 248 int and 256 exh
114 lobe sep
TPIS mini ram intake
AS&M mono blade throttle body
11 to 1 comavaiable
Old tune was done by Jay at Realstreet perfomance
Griffin rad
Meziere heavy duty wp
180 deg thermosat
Th400 and gear vendor
Strange 12 bolt 4:10 gears

Soon to get a direct port nitrous kit as soon as the funds become avaiable

Fresh rebuild have only gone through 4 heating cycles about 15 - 20 mins of run/idle time now
Old 03-16-2016, 07:03 AM

Re: Electric Meziere waterpump noise

Hi,
I have a meziere as well and it runs relatively quietly all the time. You can hear it with the ignition on engine off but it just sounds like the fuel pump. It doesn't ever squeal...

Perhaps the sound is the pump cavitating in an air pocket. I'd bleed the air out using the instructions on Rob's page (Shbox.com). The only modification to that procedure that I do is to put the car on ramps to get the radiator fill point much higher that everything else. Probably doesn't make any difference but I like the idea of having a high point for the air to go to.

Anther possibility, and one I've never experienced, is that the squeal is due to the impeller spinning on the shaft. if that's the case you'll see reduced cooling capability right up until the shaft and impeller part ways.

I'd bleed the air first and if the noise persists pull the water pump to check the security of the impeller.

Good luck!
Old 03-16-2016, 11:07 AM

OP

If this is a new build with just a few warm up cycles than you may have air in the system causing the noise.

The EWP like any part certainly can fail. With that said my meziere is 17 years old with about 90k miles on it now

you can try to bleed the system again. Having the nose of the car slightly elevated does help as mentioned.

You could also pull the EWP, leave it plugged in and KOEO see if it makes the noise on its own or inspect to see if the impeller is warped or spinning on the shaft

assume you wired it correctly and it is spinning in the right direction
Old 03-16-2016, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Chimera96
OP

If this is a new build with just a few warm up cycles than you may have air in the system causing the noise.

The EWP like any part certainly can fail. With that said my meziere is 17 years old with about 90k miles on it now

you can try to bleed the system again. Having the nose of the car slightly elevated does help as mentioned.

You could also pull the EWP, leave it plugged in and KOEO see if it makes the noise on its own or inspect to see if the impeller is warped or spinning on the shaft

assume you wired it correctly and it is spinning in the right direction
Here is a link to a 18 sec vid clip the noise is pretty obivious

http://youtu.be/2jsE0P9FBAw

Its not a complicated wiring set up i measured 8 amps with a clamp on meter when it was naking the noise. I did unplug my fuel pump relay and try it. In this video you can also hear my fuel pump. I guess im going to have to pull it and see if i can sse anything
Old 03-17-2016, 11:06 AM

sounds like the EWP is binding. Will need to pull it to inspect. If it is rubbing the housing or just internally bad

pull it and plug it in to see if it makes the noise internally