LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Don't Understand What's Wrong With My EVAP System

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 10:14 PM

Don't Understand What's Wrong With My EVAP System

/My car started having gas fumes a few months ago. After reading posts related to this I checked the EVAP components out. I disconnected the EVAP Purge Solenoid line on the Passenger Side next to the Valve Cover and Intake. Charcoal Pellets came out. I then removed the Canister and lines behind the drivers side rear wheel. More Charcoal Pellets. So I blew out all the lines with my air compressor, and replaced bad hoses. I installed an AC Delco 215127 Canister, GM 1997201 EVAP Purge Solenoid Valve, and a Autozone Duralast PV134 Purge Valve (EVAP Pressure Control Valve).

I put about 300 miles on it then with no more fumes. Until Now. I started getting fumes again. So I pulled the line off the Purge Solenoid Valve, and there were charcoal pellets again. I had another person help me double check all the lines and connections. Everything checks out that I am hooked up correct according to Shoebox's sheets on this. I am so confused, I thought maybe I had something not connected or done incorrect that caused this.

Do you think it may be the Autozone Duralast Purge Valve (That is there description of the EVAP Pressure Control Valve) that may be the weak link. Do you think the Canister is bad now that pellets are coming out of it.

Also, probably doesn't relate, but the same day I did all the replacement items, I put about 50 miles on the car and then the SES light came on. I used SCAN 94/95 on it and it was code 32, EGR related. I replaced the EGR Valve and EGR Solenoid, and the code has not returned.

Last edited by gaedbo; 07-22-2016 at 08:03 AM. Reason: add more info
Old 07-23-2016, 08:07 AM

Re: Don't Understand What's Wrong With My EVAP System

Originally Posted by gaedbo
/My car started having gas fumes a few months ago. After reading posts related to this I checked the EVAP components out. I disconnected the EVAP Purge Solenoid line on the Passenger Side next to the Valve Cover and Intake. Charcoal Pellets came out. I then removed the Canister and lines behind the drivers side rear wheel. More Charcoal Pellets. So I blew out all the lines with my air compressor, and replaced bad hoses. I installed an AC Delco 215127 Canister, GM 1997201 EVAP Purge Solenoid Valve, and a Autozone Duralast PV134 Purge Valve (EVAP Pressure Control Valve).

I put about 300 miles on it then with no more fumes. Until Now. I started getting fumes again. So I pulled the line off the Purge Solenoid Valve, and there were charcoal pellets again. I had another person help me double check all the lines and connections. Everything checks out that I am hooked up correct according to Shoebox's sheets on this. I am so confused, I thought maybe I had something not connected or done incorrect that caused this.

Do you think it may be the Autozone Duralast Purge Valve (That is there description of the EVAP Pressure Control Valve) that may be the weak link. Do you think the Canister is bad now that pellets are coming out of it.

Also, probably doesn't relate, but the same day I did all the replacement items, I put about 50 miles on the car and then the SES light came on. I used SCAN 94/95 on it and it was code 32, EGR related. I replaced the EGR Valve and EGR Solenoid, and the code has not returned.
Hey there I had the same exact thing happened to me with the canister,but Idk about buying sensors n the canister at auto zone,bcuz I have had issues with the parts etc. But I bought my new canister at dealer. It was an ac delco one. I did the same exact thing as u I clean the lines due to charcoal pellets. But haven't had seen any more in my evap solenoid or lines.

Now the code 32 that's referring to ur evap solenoid,it's either the wiring or bad solenoid. I had that one before n i changed the wiring n code went away.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:46 AM
Administrator

DTC 32 is for EGR system performance, not the EVAP solenoid.
Old 07-23-2016, 12:13 PM

My initial Thread said I know code 32 is EGR, I just included the info in case there was possibly any connection to what had happened with the EVAP items.

Would you please give me any info relative to the EVAP issue I am having.

Since posting the Thread, I checked the EVAP solenoid by applying battery 12 volts to it. The solenoid energized and I could blow thru it. De-energized I can't, it is closed. With it energized, I used my compressor to blow thru to clean out any debri.

I checked the Pressure Control Valve (mounted just before the Canister) with my MityVac. Blow into any port, and it is closed. Apply as little as 1" of Vacuum to the small port on top, and you can blow thru from Canister or Tank port ends. The old one you could blow from the Canister end and it would always blow thru with or without vacuum applied.

Also, I never said I purchased the Canister or EVAP solenoid from AutoZone, just the Pressure Control Valve.

Last edited by gaedbo; 07-23-2016 at 12:17 PM.
Old 07-23-2016, 01:39 PM
Administrator

Sorry, didn't intend to question your knowledge.... I know you had it under control. Just wanted to correct the erroneous info in post #2 for future readers
Old 07-23-2016, 02:30 PM

Injuneer, do you think the Canister is bad since I found some pellets at the EVAP solenoid. I don't understand how they get from the Canister's filter, thru the Purge line all the way to the Solenoid and just sit there plugging the way. I cut the old Canister open, and there is like a maze the pellets have to get thru to get to the Purge line if they make it thru the filter. That is all by vacuum if I understand it correctly.

Today I blew the Purge Line to the Solenoid out again and installed a inline see thru Fuel Filter where the EVAP tube comes out of a group of fuel tubes on the drivers side (It then makes a loop and continues on under the throttle body and to the EVAP solenoid). I won't know how well it works if at all because it is pouring out all day today.

I don't get what has failed yet to produce the fuel odor, and the pellets again.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:07 PM
Administrator

If I knew the answer, I'd post it. But this isn't a problem I've run into personally or through a friend. You found out more about the canister internals than I know. Could you post a picture of the cross-section of the internals?

What would happen if the lines on the canister are reversed? Did you have to fill the tank yet? If so I would assume you didn't over fill it. Did you check the operation of the white plastic plastic pressure/vacuum relief valve, to make sure the tank isn't overpressuring and venting higher than expected pressure through the canister?
Old 07-23-2016, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
DTC 32 is for EGR system performance, not the EVAP solenoid.
Ok I understand about the evap solenoid,but the wire that connects to it,like I said when i had 32 dtc I changed the wire and mine went away. That's why I was explaining in this thread to just give the guy what I remembered about 32. Thanks Fred i apologize if i threw out erroneous information
Old 07-24-2016, 10:04 AM

Here are some photos of the EVAP Canister I cut open and tubing of it.

I am sure the lines are not reversed, I have traced/tracked them all, double checked, and verified thru Shoebox photos, drawing, and previous photos I had made from a year ago. One of the references I used was Shoebox's drawing of the fuel supply system that had colored lines to reference. That was extremely helpful. I downloaded the drawing from one of the threads from this website, but can't find it on his website.

The White Plastic Relief Valve I don't know how to test, but what I did do yesterday was go into my trunk and use the access door to the fuel pump lines. I disengaged the rubber hose from Pressure/Vacuum Relief Valve metal tube of the pump unit, and blew air into the rubber hose (not into the tank) and air blew out of the White Plastic Relief Valve. I did this with my air compressor.

Yesterday I also blew the purge lines from the Canister location to the Solenoid, and then from the Solenoid back to the Canister (Not Connected to the Canister when doing this). Just in case there was maybe some pieces from the previous time I did it that, that had loosened up and broke away, and got back up to the solenoid.

I disengaged the Air Hose from the Canister and blew thru it. It is the Brown colored line in Shoebox's Fuel Supply Drawing. The air escapes where the Fuel Pumps Fuel Rail Lines and Canister Purge Lines go down between the back seat and the fuel tank. I couldn't see it or touch the end of it, just feel the air escaping with my fingers up there.

Last night I drove it about 50 miles and there was no gas fume smell and no pellets in the purge line filter I installed. So maybe the Relief Valve was stuck and the air blast freed it up, or maybe there was still old pellets that broke loose and blocked the purge solenoid. I guess time will be the true test.
Attached Thumbnails Don't Understand What's Wrong With My EVAP System-100_2992-001.jpg   Don't Understand What's Wrong With My EVAP System-100_2990-001.jpg   Don't Understand What's Wrong With My EVAP System-100_2978.jpg   Don't Understand What's Wrong With My EVAP System-100_2979.jpg   Don't Understand What's Wrong With My EVAP System-100_2984.jpg  

Don't Understand What's Wrong With My EVAP System-100_2986.jpg   Don't Understand What's Wrong With My EVAP System-100_2988.jpg   Don't Understand What's Wrong With My EVAP System-100_2987.jpg  
Old 07-24-2016, 10:51 AM

Here is the Fuel Filter I added to hopefully collect any Carbon Pellets coming from the EVAP Canister Purge Line. The EVAP Purge Solenoid is located on the other side of the manifold. I located it here because of the simplicty of the install. If anyone is interested, I purchased the Spectre Clear View Filter #2369, alternate #9706 from Mr. Gasket from AutoZone. It was $9.99

Also, I disassembled the Filter Unit and drilled the existing passage holes to .125 dia (1/8") to make sure any pellets would be able to get to the filter container. The original holes looked borderline in diameter.

With some luck, hopefully it never collects any pellets and I don't have a problem anymore. Again, only time will tell.
Attached Thumbnails Don't Understand What's Wrong With My EVAP System-100_3007.jpg  

Last edited by gaedbo; 08-02-2016 at 03:26 PM. Reason: add more info
Old 07-24-2016, 04:48 PM
Administrator

Compressor probably had way too much pressure to test the pressure/vacuum relief valve. Should open with less than 1 PSI. GaryDoug has tested one. Another member claimed he had tested it and it took 100 PSI to open it. The factory manual shows it opens at very low pressure. I think it was Gary also who colored the EVAP hose routing diagram. That is simply the otherwise poor diagram from the factory service manual.
Old 07-24-2016, 06:34 PM

Thanks for the info. If what I've done doesn't fix the problem, I will re-test that valve at low pressure.

I thought it was Shoebox's drawings, but if it was Gary's, great job, hats off to him.
Old 07-24-2016, 08:42 PM
Administrator

They both used the same factory manual diagram. Coloring it made it much clearer. Gary did a good job of staying inside the lines

Some of the factory manual diagrams are just wrong. I was helping a 3.8L V6 owner with an EVAP problem on another site. The manual V6 diagram does not show the existence of a pressure control valve in the line from the tank to the canister. Shows it on the V8 diagram. The guy I was helping confirmed there was in fact such a valve on the V6 as well.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:30 AM

Well, Update: I have put more than 500 additional miles on the car wtth no problems. No particles in the filter I added and No fumes....Everything is good.

So my best guess is that some particles broke free somewhere in the EVAP line that I had blown out before and blocked the EVAP Solenoid from doing its job.

The Pressure Relief Valve could have been stuck and needed something to get it free, but finding the particles in the line is the item I know for sure was wrong.

I think I'm good to go !
Old 08-02-2016, 08:52 AM
Administrator

Fingers crossed