LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Deleting the coolant crossover tube??

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 10:32 PM

Deleting the coolant crossover tube??

I been think about doing it, i know it a route for steam to exit. Anyone ever experment with this. pros and cons?
Old 08-17-2004, 11:39 PM

Re: Deleting the coolant crossover tube??

I really don't think you can.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:45 PM

It allows steam to exit the heads, without it you will get hot spots in the heads as air is traped and can't get out. It's there for the same reason GM put the small steam holes in the 400 SB heads. Leave it on.
Old 08-18-2004, 08:48 PM

yeah i know about all that, but why then does the iron head lt1, or lt4 have it? i believe they dont if my memory serves me correctly.
Old 08-18-2004, 08:53 PM

My AFR LT4's have it. I would think all of the LTX aluminum heads have them.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:37 PM

The LT1 has strategically placed steam vents at the back of both cylinder heads. Since the heads are the hottest part of the engine, pockets of steam can be more easily generated there. The steam vents are connected together by a crossover vent tube at the back of the heads, which directs any steam and a small flow of coolant to the front of the engine where it flows through the throttle body, warming it for improved cold weather performance. After passing through the throttle body, most of the steam is condensed back into liquid coolant and returned to the system.

In LT1 B/D-cars, coolant exiting the throttle body is passed directly into a pressurized coolant reservoir where any air remaining in the coolant is completely scavenged. In LT1 F-cars, coolant from the throttle body connects to the heater outlet via a vented "tee" connector, where any trapped air in the system can be bled off manually. Eliminating steam pockets and foam in the coolant allows for more uniform cooling system performance, preventing hot spots and potential overheating.

got that from a info site.
Old 08-18-2004, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by dnz28
The LT1 has strategically placed steam vents at the back of both cylinder heads. Since the heads are the hottest part of the engine, pockets of steam can be more easily generated there. The steam vents are connected together by a crossover vent tube at the back of the heads, which directs any steam and a small flow of coolant to the front of the engine where it flows through the throttle body,

[This is only true for 95-7.. for 93-4 it goes directly to the radiator..]

warming it for improved cold weather performance. After passing through the throttle body, most of the steam is condensed back into liquid coolant and returned to the system.

In LT1 B/D-cars, coolant exiting the throttle body is passed directly into a pressurized coolant reservoir where any air remaining in the coolant is completely scavenged. In LT1 F-cars, coolant from the throttle body connects to the heater outlet via a vented "tee" connector,

[This is only true in 93-4 cars... 95-7 have no such 'tee'..]

where any trapped air in the system can be bled off manually. Eliminating steam pockets and foam in the coolant allows for more uniform cooling system performance, preventing hot spots and potential overheating.

got that from a info site.
I agree eliminating the steam pipes is not a good idea tho..
Old 08-19-2004, 07:08 PM

All the LTX motors have it as does the L99(4.3L V8 base motor in the 94-6 Caprice which looks exactly like an LT1). One guy on the Impala board bought a modded car(LT4 heads and such) only to find the coolant crossover deleted, best we could figure was the old owner took the TB coolant bypass a bit too far, either way once the guy put a crossover back on the car he said it felt MUCH better. Delete it and I guarantee that you will get detonation from hot spots in the heads, the detonation will cause retarded timing and reduced power, heck maybe even damage if it is bad enough.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:28 PM

Guys, you cannot take that steam tube off. It's not really a "steam" tube, although everyone calls it that.

All SBC's have had a crossover between the heads that takes the hot water (hot water rises) from the top section of the heads and sends it back to the radiator. The older SBC's had it on the front of the intake manifold and the thermostat would be mounted where it came together. On the LT-1, the thermostat is on the waterpump and the intake manifold is dry, so they still need to get the hot water out of the heads. The "crossover" takes the water from both heads and brings it back to the radiator. Gm decided to route this through the throttle body for heating it up, but if you do the bypass you should connect the hose from one side of the TB to the hose on the other side so the water can still get back to the radiator.

If you want to see how much water actually flows, just open your radiator cap and watch.... the return is right near the cap. You'll see that it is not steam, but alot of water that flows out of it.

Don't try to re-engineer the cooling system unless you really know what you're doing..... I don't think Chevy would spend the money on those pipes unless they had to.

-Dave C. '97 Z28
Old 08-20-2004, 09:23 PM

Honestly it would not suprize me one bit if plugging this would crack or warp a head due to heat problems.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:34 PM

My buddy elim his on his 95 Camaro and I elim mine on my LT1 swap and have no probs at all.
Old 08-21-2004, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by 91LT16SpdFormy
My buddy elim his on his 95 Camaro and I elim mine on my LT1 swap and have no probs at all.
Why eliminate it, what do you THINK you gained? Put it back on and I am confident you will pickup the power the screwy head cooling is costing you. Besides why use an LT1 if you are going to do stupid stuff like that too it just use Vortecs on a gen1 and have a properly functioning cooling system and head that flow better than most of the aluminum LT1 heads.
Old 08-21-2004, 12:41 PM

Question Re: Deleting the coolant crossover tube??

what effect will this have if you do throttle body bypass and don't cap off the ends

and if you do cap off the ends?
thanks
zoso
Old 08-21-2004, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by zoso1959
what effect will this have if you do throttle body bypass and don't cap off the ends

and if you do cap off the ends?
thanks
zoso
Capping/not capping the pipes on the TB has no effect other than keeping the coolant passage in the TB clean if capped.
Old 08-21-2004, 01:31 PM

thanks shoebox
can always count on you for the answer
tony

Quick Reply: Deleting the coolant crossover tube??