LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Daily driver lt1 93 z28 advice needed

Old 09-22-2014, 11:02 AM

Daily driver lt1 93 z28 advice needed

OK so my car is a 1993 Camaro Z28 with a LT1 and T56. As of right now it has 120,000 miles and is mostly stock other than a K&N CAI and SLP LM2 y pipe. My goal for this car is just to have a fun daily driver that can run respectable times at the track and handles like a champ, but is still reliable and can still get around 20 mpg on the highway. I would like for it to run mid to high twelves but do not have a huge budget. I know that there are many ways to accomplish this but do not know the best way to keep it in a small budget.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:43 PM

Re: Daily driver lt1 93 z28 advice needed

Originally Posted by AmericanMan
OK so my car is a 1993 Camaro Z28 with a LT1 and T56. As of right now it has 120,000 miles and is mostly stock other than a K&N CAI and SLP LM2 y pipe. My goal for this car is just to have a fun daily driver that can run respectable times at the track and handles like a champ, but is still reliable and can still get around 20 mpg on the highway. I would like for it to run mid to high twelves but do not have a huge budget. I know that there are many ways to accomplish this but do not know the best way to keep it in a small budget.
a 20 year old LT1 that is daily drive, modified and reliable? I dunno man, that's asking a lot out of the old girl.

You could always put a set of high flow heads and a solid cam like a 503. That should be as reliable as you can get and put down some solid times.

Any pics of your ride?
Old 09-22-2014, 08:54 PM

Maybe a 100-120 shot ?
Old 09-23-2014, 10:38 AM
Administrator

Kind of a broad range of ET.

To run 12.5 you'll need to pick up about 100HP. To run 12.9, only about 60HP. And that's HP at the flywheel.

Let's see if we can generate some additional input with feedback on the following thoughts -

The 60HP gain could be achieved with cold air intake, 3" catback, long tube headers, throttle body coolant bypass, 1.6X roller rockers, ECM tune/chip, and maybe a cutout.

The 100HP gain requires the addition of a decent cam, and appropriate valve train. This would also required larger fuel injectors, throw in a 52mm throttle body. Once you go that route, you will need a higher numerical rear axle ratio. Which ratio depends on which T56 you have - there were two T56's used in the 93, and they both have much higher numerical 1st gear ratio, compared to the T56 used from 94-02.

All this assumes your ignition and fuel systems are in excellent condition.

And remember, more HP means more load on the clutch, and required suspension upgrades, subframe connectors and sticky tires to put the power to the pavement. Cost continues to spiral upwards.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by raroz28
a 20 year old LT1 that is daily drive, modified and reliable? I dunno man, that's asking a lot out of the old girl.

You could always put a set of high flow heads and a solid cam like a 503. That should be as reliable as you can get and put down some solid times.

Any pics of your ride?
Yeah I know this. I mean it is not my only vehicle so it won't be driven every day but at least most of them as my other vehicle is a lifted Jeep Wrangler that gets about 13 mpg lol. But I do not have any pictures of it right now but I'll snap one tomorrow and post it.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Kind of a broad range of ET.

To run 12.5 you'll need to pick up about 100HP. To run 12.9, only about 60HP. And that's HP at the flywheel.

Let's see if we can generate some additional input with feedback on the following thoughts -

The 60HP gain could be achieved with cold air intake, 3" catback, long tube headers, throttle body coolant bypass, 1.6X roller rockers, ECM tune/chip, and maybe a cutout.

The 100HP gain requires the addition of a decent cam, and appropriate valve train. This would also required larger fuel injectors, throw in a 52mm throttle body. Once you go that route, you will need a higher numerical rear axle ratio. Which ratio depends on which T56 you have - there were two T56's used in the 93, and they both have much higher numerical 1st gear ratio, compared to the T56 used from 94-02.

All this assumes your ignition and fuel systems are in excellent condition.

And remember, more HP means more load on the clutch, and required suspension upgrades, subframe connectors and sticky tires to put the power to the pavement. Cost continues to spiral upwards.

Yeah I know that it is not going to be cheap. With winter coming it will be getting put up soon so I obviously want to start wrenching on it then. Right now my plans do include sub frame connectors, torque arm, strut tower brace, bigger sway bars, long tubes, and tune. I would also really like to get a better cam in it but I really don't want to do a full rebuild and also don't know what the best size would be. I know that I would want to do roller rockers and springs etc. but what else would I need to replace/ upgrade?