LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Cut-outs , With Or Without Cat-converter

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 05:09 PM

Question Cut-outs , With Or Without Cat-converter

Hey guys and girls,

My car is needing inspection here soon and I'm gonna do whats affordable right now till I can come up with the money for either borla or corsa. I live in chester county, PA and emissions is required but about a year ago I cut my cat off to get a better sound at the time. So now that I have to put another one on should I (A) flange on a cat and replace with cut-out after I get my sticker. or (B) Weld in a high flow and stick the cut out after the cat. I'm kinda toying with the idea of where to put the cut out and if I should take the cat back off due to loss of back pressure. Anyone with suggestions please let me know. Car is going to exhaust shop next friday, and friend can hook me up whichever way I want to go with the system.

93 formula firebird,

New Job and new mods on there way...

MO MONEY , MEANS MO MODS
Old 09-30-2004, 06:46 PM

Re: Cut-outs , With Or Without Cat-converter

Put a flange on both sides so you and take off and on the cat so you wont have to worry about emissions. Weld the cut out at the same time and when you go into the emissions place just have it closed. simple. Then when all is said and done put a strait pipe in place of the cat that will fit the flanges also.
Old 09-30-2004, 06:53 PM

Re: Cut-outs , With Or Without Cat-converter

Thats not a bad idea man, so where should I weld the cut out onto, before the spot where the cat and straightpipe go, or after it closer to the rear.I don't want to make it too much of a hassel to get under there to put the plate on and off all the time. Yeah yeah I should go with an electric cut-out but I just started a new job and gotta collect a lil before I can do perminent mods.

93 formula

no mods included