LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Coolant bubbling out the overflow???

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 11:03 PM

Coolant bubbling out the overflow???

So I got the oil leak fixed and the overheating problem fixed. Everything ran fine the first two trips out with the car. Once yesterday and once today. Only one thing....
when I parked the car the first time, I could hear the coolant bubbling even though the car didn't get that hot, or so I think. I popped the hood and coolant started flowing out the overflow like a water fountain. I figured the guys just overfilled it. Today, drove the car about 30 minutes and parked it, everything was fine. Drove it another 30 minutes later on (about 30 minutes ago) and when I parked it I could hear the coolant bubbling and steam was pouring out the overflow tube. What could this be.

Any help is much appreciated. Trying to get the car together for Thunder In The City this weekend and my family reunion on Saturday.

Thanks
Ben
Old 08-06-2010, 07:48 AM

nobody has anything?
Old 08-06-2010, 11:23 AM

Check the coolant level in the radiator, not the overflow bottle. Refill if necessary and see if the overheating occurs again.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:22 PM

Replace the radiator cap.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:24 PM

Either the radiator cap or a head gasket.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:41 PM

Did the radiator get drained and refilled after the repairs? Sounds like you have an air pocket in the cooling system. The radiator cap is not the lowest part of the cooling system. Make sure you put the heater on when refilling the coolant and try to lift the front end up (ramps or jacks). I had an overheating problem after changes hoses. Radiator overflow would spew out antifreeze. Finally got the stupid air pocket out and now it's fine.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:45 PM

Be sure the hose for the steam pipe and the hose for the remote reservoir are not swapped on the radiator. There seems to be a rash of that going on lately. The hose port right in the radiator neck goes to the reservoir.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:27 PM

I added coolant/water to the radiator and replaced the radiator cap. It actually seems to be getting worse. Still spewing out the overflow resevoir and the car is getting hot. I hope it's not a blown head gasket, as I only have about 500 miles on the current gaskets. No coolant in the oil, no oil in the coolant from what I can see. It was taking the car a while to get hot. Doesn't appear to be dripping any coolant other than whats coming out of the overflow. No white smoke out the exhaust. I ordered a new 160 thermostat to replace the current 160 stat thats in there now which only has about 15k on it. Won't be here til Tuesday.

I'm baffled.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:09 PM

The radiator that's in there is brand new, just put in 2 days ago. So yes, it was drained (in a sense) while the other repairs were being made. Shoebox, Do you mean the little hose that sits about a tenth of an inch from the radiator cap? Is that the one that's supposed to go to the resevoir. I'm going to go investigate and see what I can find. Also going to try to bleed the system. Wish me luck.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:16 PM

Could be the two small hoses that run to the top of the radiator; or just below the cap. I had mine switched and it will heat up and run out the overflow. Make sure that the hose running to the overflow is the one on top; or the first hoes below the cap.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by henryz28
Could be the two small hoses that run to the top of the radiator; or just below the cap. I had mine switched and it will heat up and run out the overflow. Make sure that the hose running to the overflow is the one on top; or the first hoes below the cap.
Ok, that's what I thought he meant. Thank you. The hose closest to the top it running to the water pump and the hose about an inch below it is running to my resevoir. I will now go ahead and switch these. Can I get a confirmation that The top hose goes to the resevoir and the one an inch below it goes elsewhere?
Old 08-06-2010, 05:18 PM

I swapped the hoses and refilled the coolant. I hope this is what was causing everything. I'm going for a test drive. Will report back and let you know how it goes.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by bkpliskin
Ok, that's what I thought he meant. Thank you. The hose closest to the top it running to the water pump and the hose about an inch below it is running to my resevoir. I will now go ahead and switch these. Can I get a confirmation that The top hose goes to the resevoir and the one an inch below it goes elsewhere?
That's what I was trying to tell you. I confirmed where it went in post #7. You had them reversed!
Old 08-06-2010, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by shoebox
That's what I was trying to tell you. I confirmed where it went in post #7. You had them reversed!
I know you did. That's why I said "I thought that's what he meant". He = shoebox! haha. I appreciate your help shoebox. The garage that put everything back together had the hoses mixed up. Got the resevoir one on top and the other one on the bottom now. Took a test ride of about 15 minutes and everything seemed fine. The temp never went above the 210 line and I was getting on it here and there, letting it see some high rpms many times through the drive. When I stopped the car, there was no steam coming out of the resevoir tube.

Thanks to everyone who posted and helped.

Please stay tuned in the next 5 minutes for my next dilemma. WOT SHIFTING!
Old 08-06-2010, 07:28 PM

LOL, I'm going back in with my engine this weekend....I hope I don't do the same damn thing.

Quick Reply: Coolant bubbling out the overflow???