LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Clutch going, signs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2002, 11:40 PM

Post Clutch going, signs?

Hey guys. Well, my '94 has about 66,000 miles on it now and the clutch is cooked. I mean, if I try to launch even once, when I shift, it takes 2 seconds to engague and if I rip it up hard enough, the clutch will slip on shifts. Two or three launches and its basically not able to go into third or fourth at WOT. When cold, I can still sometimes get second gear rubber on the upshift, still gets good on the downshift, but I know its done.

HOWEVER, last few days when you punch the car, specially if the motor is lugged down (like 4th gear at 1800 RPM then punch it kinda thing), it seems like there is a miss, but I think it might be the clutch going slip-grab-slip but quickly. Anyone ever have these signs with a bad clutch? I am holding out a change until I gather all my parts for a cam/headers swap but its starting to really **** me off. So, does this sound like a clutch, or am I looking at other possible problems too. Thanks.

------------------
1981 Olds Delta 88 455/th400/3.23 posi

1988 Trans Am WS6, 355/T5/3.27 posi; RPM heads and Intake; Crane Fireball cam; Holley 750 carb; soon Comp RXE294H; th350 & 10" converter.

1994 Trans Am LT1/T56, no cat; Hooker CB; Hotch. SFC and STB; Ripper shifter; Poly mount; Lakewood LCA; K&N FIPK; Hypertech Airfoil; soon to port&polish MAF; Sprint springs & Bilstein shocks; GM Motive 4.10; Hypertech PowerTuner III
Old 07-26-2002, 01:18 PM

Angry

I noticed something pretty similar a few das ago, I was coming home from work and I was doing around 65mph (5th gear hooked) when I noticed another Camaro coming up real fast in my rear view mirror, he flew by and I stomped it in order to catch up just for the fun of a nice race, and then it happened ... for a couple of secs my revs went real high but the car didn't seem to accelerate, then it engaged andran normally.
Question - Do you think this happened because I kept in 5th gear and didn't downshift, or is it that I need to have my cluth fixed/replaced?

------------------
The Wheelman,Alex DeLarge
1994 Black Z28, 6-speed
T-tops, 6-CD JVC stereo
Flowmasters, K&N CAI
PCW Alloy Wheels

[This message has been edited by AlexDeLarge (edited July 26, 2002).]
Old 07-26-2002, 01:24 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by AlexDeLarge:
I noticed something pretty similar a few das ago, I was coming home from work and I was doing around 65mph (5th gear hooked) when I noticed another Camaro coming up real fast in my rear view mirror, he flew by and I stomped it in order to catch up just for the fun of a nice race, and then it happened ... for a couple of secs my revs went real high but the car didn't seem to accelerate, then it engaged andran normally.
Question - Do you think this happened because I kept in 5th gear and didn't downshift, or is it that I need to have my cluth fixed/replaced?

</font>

Your clutch slipped. It will need replacing soon.

------------------
'96 Firebird Formula M6
Performance
Custom cut-out, Homemade 4" CAI with 9" cone filter, !CAGS, TB Bypass, Energy Suspension Trans. Mount, Taylor 8mm Wires, Pro 5.0 shifter, LCAs, Stock 3.42 gears
Stereo
Sony Xplod MP450X MP3 Headunit, Sony XE-90MKII Half DIN EQ, MTX RTX01A Crossover, 2 12" Clarions, powered by 2 Bridged Kenwood KAC-728S amps, Infinity Reference Series component set up front, powered by Kenwood KAC-628, EFX 1 farad cap, 4 gauge wire to cap, 10 gauge to amps

Website
Old 07-26-2002, 03:34 PM

Unhappy

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by x7x7:

Your clutch slipped. It will need replacing soon.

</font>
Oh Gosh!!
I barely have any mods, should I go for a repair or is it better acquiring the whole thing brand new?
I'm a newbie to F-Bodies and this is the first time I face this problem, would you guys be so kind as to giving any advice?
Thanks in advance!!

------------------
The Wheelman,Alex DeLarge
1994 Black Z28, 6-speed
T-tops, 6-CD JVC stereo
Flowmasters, K&N CAI
PCW Alloy Wheels
Old 07-26-2002, 04:33 PM

yeah, you guys are all slipping!

and when you do it, do you ever smell that funny burnt-clutch odor? smells different from burnt brakes. nothing else smells like that. the whole hill. it smelled like...victory no, abused clutch

do a search on need clutch
Old 07-26-2002, 08:12 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by AlexDeLarge:
Oh Gosh!!
I barely have any mods, should I go for a repair or is it better acquiring the whole thing brand new?
I'm a newbie to F-Bodies and this is the first time I face this problem, would you guys be so kind as to giving any advice?
Thanks in advance!!

</font>

This happened to me too. When I was on the highway going 100km/h in 6th the tach would jump 500-1000rpms and then go back without doing anything. Sure enough my clutch was finished. Since I didn't have much money I bought a Dynapak clutch. From my experiance, don't buy a cheap clutch! Either buy the origional from GM, or get a CenterForce Dual friction, or a McLoed Street Twin and forget about changing it for a long time. And get the flywheel re-surfaced.

Old 07-26-2002, 10:27 PM

I think I am going to pull my tranny tomorrow since my car seems to run fine now (knock on wood), and in comes a Spec Stage II!

------------------
1981 Olds Delta 88 455/th400/3.23 posi

1988 Trans Am WS6, 355/T5/3.27 posi; RPM heads and Intake; Crane Fireball cam; Holley 750 carb; soon Comp RXE294H; th350 & 10" converter.

1994 Trans Am LT1/T56, no cat; Hooker CB; Hotch. SFC and STB; Ripper shifter; Poly mount; Lakewood LCA; K&N FIPK; Hypertech Airfoil; soon to port&polish MAF; Sprint springs & Bilstein shocks; GM Motive 4.10; Hypertech PowerTuner III
Old 07-26-2002, 11:20 PM

my clutch started slipping 1 month ago rarely and i orderd a clutch 2 weeks ago (still wating) and now anything over 1/8 throttle and it jumps to 6000 rpm and even when it only slipped a little it realy hurt my performance. cant wait for my new one

------------------
95 camaro z28 6 speed with a slippy cluth new slp pp, disk, cold air intake, air foil and skip shift elimanator in the mail
Old 07-29-2002, 04:04 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks for your inputs guys, I think I'll go get the dealer's one since I live in Mexico and performance parts are rather hard to find around here.
Old 07-29-2002, 04:25 PM

Smile

My clutch went out in March and it had signs. When I would push in on it and the revs would stay the same for a couple seconds. It did this for about 2 weeks and the when going down the road it was in sixth gear and it just stopped moving. The car then would never move no matter what gear i was in. When i finally got the clutch out and saw the cluth disc it was extremely thin. Mine went out at 82,000 miles
Old 07-30-2002, 01:48 PM

Question

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BOOGER:
When i finally got the clutch out and saw the cluth disc it was extremely thin. Mine went out at 82,000 miles </font>
Well, my Z has 90K miles on it (yes, it's a '94). I've never taken my car to the strip and only do street races very seldom.
Does anyone know what the normal life for a stock clutch is under normal condition?
Old 02-27-2003, 09:29 AM

My clutch is starting to slip too, just noticed it today.

How much longer can I expect it to last?
Old 02-27-2003, 11:03 AM

My stocker only lasted about 60k miles.

I suggest the SLP Clutch for all you stock/bolt on guys. (ie no heads, cam, nirtous etc) . I have been using it for about 15k and love it. Drives like stock, but grabs much harder.

After you first notice signs of slipage, it will only get worse. Mine would first start to slip in 6th giving it a bunch of gas, and eventually worked down into 5h, and 4th. I waited so long that it was almost impossible to go WOT in any gear above 4th, without spiking the rpms way up there.
Old 02-27-2003, 11:09 AM

my clutch went out right around 65,000 also and i put the slp clutch in, and now it works wonderful now.
Old 02-27-2003, 02:14 PM

The original clutch in my car went out ~ 100k. I was suprised it lasted so long. The guy who owned it before me did a lot of highway driving, so I think that is why. It started slipping every once in a while, and also made kind of a clunking or chattering sound. It was still driveable when I replaced it. The friction surface was worn past the rivits, and the pp was cracked around the springs. I guess Im lucky that it didnt blow and throw parts all over!

Quick Reply: Clutch going, signs?