LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

CC 306 and stock tuning?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2003, 08:47 PM

CC 306 and stock tuning?

Will it run? I know I will benefit from tuning, but will it run on stock tuning. Will it be ok to drive on it as well? TIA
Old 02-10-2003, 08:55 PM

Exclamation NO WAY!

Sorry dude, especially with a cc306 PCM tuning is mandetory, most times your idle has to be up'ed to 1000 rpms. you will not have much vaccume at idle, get a canister, your gas mileage will suck, you will fail emissions, and streetablilty will be tolerable at best. If you can deal with all this, then mabye cc306 is for you!

I have a hot cam, and if i up'ed to another hyd roller cam, CC306 would be it, but its really crazy for the street, what the purpous of the car?? Mostly track, Mostly street, 50/50?? Take this into consideration but once you get some revs up the cam screams!

Also on top of that you wont recive the optimum power that you can get for that cam.

Are your heads Ported?? Or do you ahve at least LT4 or AFR heads?? Those will need to be upgraded, headers and all that stuff, if you do, great cus you wont have to do it now.

http://www.pcmforless.com is where i go!
Old 02-10-2003, 09:10 PM

I know one person who has done it, but unless you like 8MPG cars that run like crap, I'd strongly suggest finding a Tunercat buddy to help you out OR just buy the setup since its pretty cheap and there are plenty of starter files for the setup.
Old 02-10-2003, 09:16 PM

Even a hot cam I would have tuned, your really messing with the engine when you change its cam. Like taking a ghetto girl out the projects and putting her in beverly hills, she cant act right.
Old 02-10-2003, 09:26 PM

Originally posted by neil350
Even a hot cam I would have tuned, your really messing with the engine when you change its cam. Like taking a ghetto girl out the projects and putting her in beverly hills, she cant act right.
But she would be FUN!! jk.. I plan on programming it but I was just wondering.. also this cam is on a 114 LSA not on a 112
Old 02-10-2003, 10:28 PM

Fun? Maybe, but a car that runs like crap, stinks, and eats gas like that isn't fun for long.

I know a guy with a mail order tune and a Hotcam who believes hes at 10mpg, if hes right thats pretty crappy. Could be an exaust leak though.
Old 02-11-2003, 01:50 AM

i was joking by the fun thing.... but 10 mpg from hotcam i would be pissed!
Old 02-11-2003, 02:22 AM

Re: CC 306 and stock tuning?

Originally posted by SVT Killer LV
Will it run? I know I will benefit from tuning, but will it run on stock tuning. Will it be ok to drive on it as well? TIA
That's some sort of joke right?
Old 02-11-2003, 02:33 AM

six speed

because you got a manual car it would probably run,

if you have a bbk throttle body you can adjust it to help,

i just put the cam in my auto car and it takes a minute for it to warm up before ideling. (programmed pcm) i know someone in town with a 305 and a 6sd and he does ok.

vince
Old 02-11-2003, 02:48 AM

SVT..... IT WILL WORK...HOW DO I KNOW..CUZ I'VE DONE IT.

From your sig I see you have a 94 z. OBD 1 cars are more mod friendly. I've been driving around on the stock program for two months ,and just had Bryan at pcmforless.com send me a tune. The car will have some cam surge between 1000-1500 rpms( under load),and you won't be able to see a gain from it till you can rev it past the stock rev limiter(shift mine at 6400). I tempararily put a hypertech on it so I could rev it higher(still with stock tuning ),and it dropped me from mid 13ish to 12.9-13.0s. Now with Bryan's tuning it feels alot stronger (especially picked up more down low), and idles smoother at idle with no surge. You will LOVE the way this cam sounds. I'm hoping when I swap my shorties for longtubes I'll be in the lower 12s. As for gas mileage I don't know,but with the stock programing I could drive from beamont tx to austin (5 hrs) ,and still have a quarter tank left (and that's with 4.10 gears). Everyone told me it would not work to,but I think the naysayers have just ahd experiences with OBD2 cars. These cars have trouble with cams on stock programming (especially one as big as the 306) Hope this helps you some. -TERRY
Old 02-11-2003, 03:35 AM

yep

yea, get it.

they work with stock heads just fine, like he said let it rev,

i set mine at 6500rpms, the cam sounds badass with Longtubes with a cut out!!! when i put the tranny back in tommorrow or the next day ill let you know how it drives.
Old 02-11-2003, 09:45 AM

IF you get a BBK you will need to 'fix' the IAC hole, otherwise it will not idle with a big cam like that since even a maxed out IAC 160 count wont be able to bring enough air.

Do yourself a favor and get Tunercat, and start with one of the many baselines on the net, that should get your timing pretty much dead on.
Old 02-11-2003, 09:53 AM

Re: NO WAY!

Originally posted by BlkScreaminMach
Sorry dude, especially with a cc306 PCM tuning is mandetory, most times your idle has to be up'ed to 1000 rpms. you will not have much vaccume at idle, get a canister, your gas mileage will suck, you will fail emissions, and streetablilty will be tolerable at best. If you can deal with all this, then mabye cc306 is for you!

I have a hot cam, and if i up'ed to another hyd roller cam, CC306 would be it, but its really crazy for the street, what the purpous of the car?? Mostly track, Mostly street, 50/50?? Take this into consideration but once you get some revs up the cam screams!

Also on top of that you wont recive the optimum power that you can get for that cam.

Are your heads Ported?? Or do you ahve at least LT4 or AFR heads?? Those will need to be upgraded, headers and all that stuff, if you do, great cus you wont have to do it now.

Huh??? I have a 306 and it is fantastic, you don't need a brake cannister (although it will be a little more challenging in stop and go driving), my gas mileage does not suck at all, in fact, it is not that much worse than with a stock cam. It will fail emissions, but it is completely streetable. You can use stock heads but you won't see the full benefit, and, no, despite what you say, it does have a decent amount of low end grunt to it (long tubes help that out quite a bit). All in all, I am very impressed by my 306, but it does require careful tuning.
Old 02-11-2003, 10:50 AM

Re: NO WAY!

Originally posted by BlkScreaminMach

sorry dude you dont know what your talking about.

you drive a 306 on stock tuning and stock heads and stock maifolds, i know someone right now who is doing it. the car runs good cosidering. all the things you mentioned are a nessesary to get the best performance out of the cam. but thats not what he asked. he just asked if it would run on stock tunning. and the answer is yes.

nothing you mentioned is manditory fo rthe car to run and drive on stock tunning. but to get the best out of it is a different story.
Old 02-11-2003, 01:08 PM

SOme peole just dont get it

Sorry brotha, I know a few cats who run a 306 as well, and ran with stock tuning and utterly HATED it, especially since most were auto's. Also when running my Datamaster and Freescan software, the Map sensor was having a sH*t fit.

Having a 6 speed will get you by. But I live in CT, we got emissions and gas is like 1.90$/gal, and even with my hot cam i get so so gas mileage (14-16 mpg).

I dont live in texas where there is no emissions and from what ive been told by a cousin who moved down there a few years agi, the gas isnt all that ex*****ive, i think its like 1.60-1.70 per gal.

TO say though i have no clue what im talking, hate to break it to yea buddy, i certianly do, feel free to drop by http://www.fbody.com im sure there are enough peeps that back that claim up.

But back to this persons inqurie, he seemed like a person who wants to throw a BIG lopey cam in his car and go fast. Problem is, why would you go through ALL that work and not tune it up. Now that is just utterly moronic. PCMforless, 75$ or so, if you have a laptiop, youg et unlimited email updates and it cost like 50$ for the cable, 95$ for the datamaster software, and freescan ios of course free. Maybe im way off base but to tear apart half the motor and not do head work, headers, TUNING, just the basic ****. That is beyond me. TO be quite honest any person with a CC305, or LT4hot cam, or even less is gonna smoke the crap outta him.

I mean its his money and we all work in budgets, but if your doing a cam, do it right the first time.

Quick Reply: CC 306 and stock tuning?