LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Car is very hard to start

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2004, 01:30 PM

Originally posted by charles94ta
Most likely the pump's check valve not holding pressure, or the pump crapping out... Try starting it once, shutting it down and starting right after... does it start fine? Now try not starting it for a few hours ... how does it behave?
sounds exactly like a bad check valve. Only way to be sure is to use a fuel pressure gauge though.
Old 05-31-2004, 05:56 PM

glad you fixed the problem dude. a fuel pump is not cheap though

as for me, i think stonez is right - probably the check vavle in the pump - i'll make do till summer. till then ill pull my hair as to whether ill cut an access hatch or get it done properly for $400 labor *doh*
Old 07-19-2004, 06:58 AM

Re: Car is very hard to start

Could it be leaking fuel injectors. I have a similar problem of hard starting. I have a new Opti.

Last edited by BlueCamaroZ28; 07-19-2004 at 11:21 PM.
Old 07-19-2004, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Red96Lt1
Yeah, she starts up within 1.5 seconds now. It use to take 3 starts of 5-8 seconds each. I did help it start better (with the old pump) by turning the key to the run position for 2 sec, then off, then run for 2 sec, then off, then run for 2 sec, then started it. It still took a little while, but it was better than 3 starts. This gave the fuel pump time to pressurize the system with out having to engage the starter. Hope this helps, anymore questions, just shoot away!
Hey Red, you do not mention what you fixed, sounds like it was the Fuel Pump. Did you buy a factory unit or Aftermarket?

I have the exact same symptoms, plus misfires.
Old 07-19-2004, 04:33 PM

I have a 1997 LT1. I read in GM Hightech that the fuel regulator can leak through the vac hose. This will cause a low pressure in the fuel rail with no PCM error. When the fuel relay cuts the pump, the pressure can go low due to the blead-off of pressure thru vac line. I had a similar problem. I replaced it with an aeromotive rail mount type. It started instantly. Aeromotive explains that in 2002 there was a fuel additive that eats the regulator diaphram. Problem is, I had to replace my old aeromotive regulator. I run dual Walbro intank pumps with a K-bell on pump #1. Blown application. Another $155.00 spent.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by mzgp5x
I have a 1997 LT1. I read in GM Hightech that the fuel regulator can leak through the vac hose. This will cause a low pressure in the fuel rail with no PCM error. When the fuel relay cuts the pump, the pressure can go low due to the blead-off of pressure thru vac line. I had a similar problem. I replaced it with an aeromotive rail mount type. It started instantly. Aeromotive explains that in 2002 there was a fuel additive that eats the regulator diaphram. Problem is, I had to replace my old aeromotive regulator. I run dual Walbro intank pumps with a K-bell on pump #1. Blown application. Another $155.00 spent.
Where did you purchase this regulator?
Old 07-24-2004, 08:14 PM

Regulators can be had @ summitracing .com. They sell Aermotive rail mount type and others. Aeromotive is a ball type modulated flow, where Megaflow is a conical profile shape which has better flwo control. Aeromotive is a good rail mount type. The GM series flow circuit is not good for lots of power. A parallel circuit is better.
Old 07-24-2004, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Red96Lt1
Yeah, she starts up within 1.5 seconds now. It use to take 3 starts of 5-8 seconds each. I did help it start better (with the old pump) by turning the key to the run position for 2 sec, then off, then run for 2 sec, then off, then run for 2 sec, then started it. It still took a little while, but it was better than 3 starts. This gave the fuel pump time to pressurize the system with out having to engage the starter. Hope this helps, anymore questions, just shoot away!
so all you did was replace the fuel pump? i have to do the same thing with turning the key on and off 3 times before i start my car.
Old 07-27-2004, 08:33 AM

Hey, I just got my car fixed!! All I did was replace the fuel pump. It run soooo much better now. Every aspect has improved.

Starting, continunous accelleration,( I used to have blips in the powerband, and it would have to "catch-up after shifting into second). SHIFTING, everything is working better!!!

Wow what a difference a fuel pump makes!
Old 08-22-2004, 07:29 AM

I think I have a fuel pump problem too.
Car will not start and sits alot (Garage Queen). The last day I drove her she ran great and I did not detect any pending problems. Place her in the garage and haven't started her in 6 days (she has sat for longer periods without any starting problems). This non-starting never happen before in almost 10 years, but this morning she just would not stay running and now will not even start. I thought it may be out of fuel so (been too lazy to stop at a gas station even though I knew she was down to her last gallon or 2) I put some in. No luck. I did not hear the pump clicking when I turn key on. Should I not be hearing it priming the system? Is there a fuse? Fuel filter good.
Any thoughts before I have her towed to the shop.
TIA Edwin

Last edited by blkZ28Conv; 08-22-2004 at 07:31 AM.
Old 08-22-2004, 10:45 AM

I have a 97. If there is no fuel pressure @ the rail, you can crank all day and no poping. You need a fuel pressure gage. The pumps are enabled by a seperate relay. Most late model cars you can hear the pump on when the key is turned to run. Then the pump will stop next 2 to 3 seconds unless the car starts. This is the way gm programs the pCM / pump control. Try bypassing the relay to test pump run. Also, if the rail regulator is bad, this can be a source of lost rail pressure. I also had this problem. The car will start, but you have to crank alot. Hope this helps.
Old 09-23-2004, 04:29 AM

reviving this for 1 more question...

what kind of fuel pump would you guys recommend? stock vs. aftermarket? i've heard of aeromotive and walbro, but those seem like high HP applications.

i'm just barely above stock (intake/exhaust)

on a budget

thanks!
Old 09-23-2004, 05:20 AM

I got my new Delco part from Rockauto (www.rockauto.com) for $182. Dealers and local shops were charging $295 for the exact same pump. Fast service and great customer service. If you decide on stock Delco fuel pump (direct plug-in installation) PM me and I will give you my discount code for 5% off.
Old 09-23-2004, 06:08 AM

Or you could get a racetronix pump with better parts for a lot less from racetronix.
Old 09-23-2004, 11:01 AM

I investigated the Racetronic set-up and it was $240. An excellent price for the complete set-up (pump and new wiring harness and looks like a very well designed kit) for those that desire more fuel pressure. I collect Chevy's and try to maintain OEM as much as possible (including wiring and no trap door). Vehicle never raced, so increased fuel pump performance was not needed in my case.

Last edited by blkZ28Conv; 09-23-2004 at 11:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Car is very hard to start