LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Broken Cam Pin

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 05:50 PM

Re: Broken Cam Pin

Originally Posted by JAKEJR
Any other signs of contact? I recently read a post and looked at the photos posted along with it where the timing chain interfered with the water pump drive. I didn't make a note of the Forum it was on, but I'll try to find it and post a link when I do.

I also recall a member on the CF had Cloyes double roller interference problems with his LT1's timing chain cover. He and his Dad had to do a lot of grinding on the cover to get the clearance they needed.

So I'm wondering if the Cloyes T/C set could be contributing to the failure.

I'm just brain-storming this because there has to be a cause somewhere. It would be all too easy to attribute the failure to manufacturer's defect, but I'd first look at all the other possible causes before concluding that. Besides, putting everything back together without finding the cause of the failure may result in you being right back in the same situation.

We could run a survey to confirm, but I don't believe there are very many guys who have had to resort to double pins on their LTx engines to address a pin breaking problem. Wouldn't there be more posts about this pin breakage problem on this and other Forums if breakage was happening? My thinking is there has to be an under-lying cause for the pin to break.

Just my thoughts in trying to help.

Jake

West Point ROCKS!
I also have had the camshaft dowel pin sheer on my95 camaro z28 5.7 Lt motor and the cam bolts have sheered off even with the cam face this was on a stock car no mods it has a 107000 miles on it I am wondering if all on the motor is lost everything else looks good but am concerned about bent valve rods ect. Although the motor turns over sometimes it has compression other time not I have not tried to put it back in time yet just starting to tear down but timing chain and gears look good any ideas suggestions?
Old 02-21-2017, 09:00 AM
Administrator

If you are concerned about bent pushrods, pull the valve covers and access the pushrods. Roll them on a flat surface to see if they are bent. If you are concerned about bent valves/valve stems, it's a bit more complex.

Wondering if your crank damper might be damaged. While the purpose is to dampen damaging crankshaft vibrations, if the damper isn't doing its job, wonder if those crank vibrations might be transmitted through the timing set, stressing the cam gear bolts, and eventually fatiguing them. Check the rubber ring that connects the inner and outer rings of the damper for cracks or separation.
Old 02-23-2017, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
If you are concerned about bent pushrods, pull the valve covers and access the pushrods. Roll them on a flat surface to see if they are bent. If you are concerned about bent valves/valve stems, it's a bit more complex.

Wondering if your crank damper might be damaged. While the purpose is to dampen damaging crankshaft vibrations, if the damper isn't doing its job, wonder if those crank vibrations might be transmitted through the timing set, stressing the cam gear bolts, and eventually fatiguing them. Check the rubber ring that connects the inner and outer rings of the damper for cracks or separation.
thanks for the input I have checked out the damper and it looks fine the motor looks pretty good and clean also the chain and gears look good too no marks or damage even the chain looks in good condition having trouble finding the dowel pin that goes on to the cam gear anybody know where I might find thi and am replacing the bolts with arp bolts