LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Borla Y-Pipe 93-95 LT1 w/stock manifolds, WORTH IT?

Old 05-01-2003, 06:40 AM

Borla Y-Pipe 93-95 LT1 w/stock manifolds, WORTH IT?

Hey, I've seen Borla's Y-pipe for 93-95 LT1's with stock exhaust manifolds at Thunder Racing. Here's the description:

"Borla's LT1 Y-Pipe increases rear wheel horsepower on your 93-95 LT1 by approximately 8-10 over stock. They are constructed of 2-3/4" T-304 Stainless steel (which is 1/2" larger than stock) and are mandrel bent for maximum flow. Welding to your catalytic converter is required. An excellent alternative to headers!
Part Number Description Price Qty 01-60051 Borla Y-pipe, 1993-1995 Single-Cat LT1 Camaro/Firebird $159.99 "

What do you guys think of this? I know that Borla probably overestimates somewhat with their hp numbers (as ALL companies do), but for $160 do you think it's worth getting for a car with the mods in my sig? I also want to get a high-flow cat at the same time (Carsound, Dynomax?). I'd rather have Hooker shorties (CA smog), but don't want to drop the cash/time for parts/install. And NO, I don't want a cutout. I drive a street car, not a redneck-rusted-out Ford truck .
Old 05-01-2003, 07:20 AM

Prepare yourself for a murderous amount of "GET HEADERS!" replies, because they are going to come furiously. Since the Stock Y-pipe is 2 1/4", I have heard that by going to a 2 3/4" Y-pipe you may be sacrificing more torque than it's worth. Personally, I would go with a 2 1/2 Y-pipe. You will see the smae benefits if not more (torque wise). Although, for the price, the extra 1/4" is definitely worth it.
nice one on the cutout
Old 05-01-2003, 09:46 AM

i put the borla ypip on...lousy fit...no gain ...a total waste of money......now i have longtubes much better!!@!!
Old 05-01-2003, 08:42 PM

Not worth the effort IMO, especially if you expect to get headers eventually.
Old 05-01-2003, 08:50 PM

Plan and simple. no. Get the LTs or don't touch it.
Old 05-01-2003, 09:11 PM

I DID dyno my car after the Borla Y-pipe install, and gained 7 RWHP off of it. I didn't pay full price for mine, got it used from a guy so I don't feel bad on the purchase. I only paid 1/2 of what it costs new. When I'm ready to get headers I'll get 'em.

- Brent
Old 05-02-2003, 04:39 AM

Originally posted by Kuppler
Plan and simple. no. Get the LTs or don't touch it.
As I wrote originally, I live in California and have to deal with the smog ***** that don't like longtube headers. I know they're the best for power, but because of smog (and ground clearance on my 2" lowered car) they're not an option. The options I am considering are either the Borla Y-pipe for $160, which requires minimal install cost/effort. Option 2: SMOG-LEGAL Hooker shorty headers and y-pipe which cost between $375-550 depending on coating options, which will take A LOT MORE time/effort if I do the install, or a lot more $$$$ if a shop does it for me. I don't really feel like doing a header install with jackstands in my carport.

I was thinking that the Borla Y-pipe claims gains (between 5-10 rwhp) that seem reasonably proportional in terms of cost/hp to gains seen with headers (LT included) on a mostly stock LT1 (~15-25 rwhp). Thanks for your opinions, seems like some think it works as advertised and some think it's worthless. Oh well, seems that way for most threads since everyone's entitled to their opinion.
Old 05-02-2003, 07:15 AM

if you've ever seen the exhaust manifolds off of our cars, they neck down to under 2" in some spots, so I don't think the y-pipe is the big restriction here.

Considering I picked up SLP stainless steel smog legal shorties used for $250, and I'm not the only one, I would vote "not worth it".
Old 05-02-2003, 08:23 AM

I think what he is getting at is that he doesn't want to do headers. Cost is an issue, as is the time. I am in the same situation, but I don't want to do them for the sake of keeping the car as original as possible. I know that headers are a good choice, they always have been. But, I would rather go without simply because I don't want to mod the hell out of it (yet). The y-pipe is a considerable restriction, just as the rest of the exhaust is. Granted the manifolds don't flow the best, but the closer to the source that you start freeing up airflow the horsepower with be there. Compstall put one on his and gained 7 rwhp.
Old 05-03-2003, 07:30 PM

Thanks for understanding my point hairbear21, I'm trying to figure out if Borla y-pipe provides decent gains for the money it costs. I know headers will give the greatest gains, but they also have the greatest cost in terms of money/time. I'd like to know about experiences of people that have installed it and what gains they've gotten. Thanks for the info to those that have already replied!

As a side note, Racernet.net has a Carsound stainless steel y-pipe and matching 3" cat for $299. This pipe is called "high flow" and is mandrel bent vs. the stock crushed tube, but is only the stock diameter of 2 1/4". Hairbear21 was talking earlier about a 2 1/2" pipe to save torque loss, but I haven't seen anyone who makes them...
Link to carsound pipe: http://lt1f-body.racenet.net/mufflers.php
Old 05-03-2003, 11:11 PM

My '94 M6 (stock heads, stock cam) dynoed 283rwph with Borla Y-pipe, MorFlow cat, ASPulley, 4.10s, Hooker Catback, and Moroso CAI.

The y-pipe helped, but is did cause an "exhaust leak kind of sound" as the exhaust gases transitioned from the small manifold outlets to the oversized Borla Y-pipe. No loss in torque however. Oh, and it really woke-up the exhaust note!

Y-pipe was <$130. I would do it again on the same budget.
Old 05-04-2003, 01:58 AM

You will probably break off most of the studs on your manifolds when you take off the old Y pipe so you will probably play he11 fixing that and you may have to pull the manifolds to fix the studs. All that work may as well drop headers in. I bought my SLP's coated used for 300 off this board. I would go used headers.
Old 05-04-2003, 02:35 AM

I put the SLP ypipe on my car a few years back and it definately helped. It is the same as the borla just more expensive $199 but I bought mine used for like $80 and then sold it for $80 when I bought my AS$M headers. It picked up a little over a tenth in the 1/4 and like 1mph but I did strip some studs on the exhaust manifolds too which was a peter to repair when I was doing the install good luck and it was worth my $80 but I don't know about $150-200.
Old 05-04-2003, 03:38 AM

Has anyone bolted up the new Random Technologies custom Y-pipe w/ built in hi-flow cats for 96-97 vehicles w/ stock manifolds. Isn't cheap. But would seem like a good option for those who want to avoid headers. Dyno results?
Old 05-05-2003, 07:44 PM

You can get 10 rwhp from a y pipe with no other exhaust mods done??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Borla Y-Pipe 93-95 LT1 w/stock manifolds, WORTH IT?