LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Blown head gasket. Time for new car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 11:27 AM

Blown head gasket. Time for new car?

My camaro recently overheated, which resulted in my head gasket blowing. Took it to firestone (not going back there again) and they recommend i replace the entire motor. that seems a bit extreme seeing that it only blew a few days ago and was only driven for roughly 50 miles after that. im taking it into a smaller full service shop to try to get a more honest diagnosis. anyone here ever opened up the engine and found havoc reeked inside due to a blown gasket? would it be worth the $$$ to just get a gasket replacement? the engine has 160K miles on it.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:01 PM

Re: Blown head gasket. Time for new car?

Replacing blown head gaskets will run you around $200-$250 in parts and about $1500 in labor. Your best bet would be to either do it yourself, or ask around in here to see if anyone local to your area can give you a hand. It's literally a 15-20 hour job for someone who knows what they are doing, and to do it right the heads should be sent to a machine shop to be checked out.

Where are you located?
Old 04-14-2012, 01:16 PM

im in norfolk, virginia. i have a buddy that rebuilds lt1 engines so i can give him a ring and see if he can give me a hand. im pissed that the previous owners failed to mention these issues before selling it to me. karma will be a bitch.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:44 PM

Head gaskets on LT1 is a piece of cake.

Go to advance auto parts website.

Order all the parts you need.

Use coupon code "visa" to save some money and do in store pickup.

All you really need is:

2 head gaskets (I would replace both)
Head bolt kit
Timing cover gasket set
Intake manifold gaskets
Exhaust Manifold gaskets
Rear crossover coolant pipe seals (you will need 4. They are steel with rubber).
Tube of copper RTV (to lay beads for the front and rear of intake)
Can of copper RTV (I use this to spray all my gaskets with)

Do not be afraid of this job. Just remember which bolts go where and be sure to torque the heads in proper sequence to the proper torque.

On my engine because everything is new it comes apart very easy. Some snags you are most likely going to run into:

Y pipe will be rusted and you may not be able to get the Y pipe off the headers. Some people end up having to cut the Y pipe off near the manifold because access to these bolts is just not there. The water pump drive seal is sometimes difficult for beginners to install. I have since bought a tool, but I also have used a socket to install it without any problems. I put a video on youtube describing exactly what you need. Aside from the exhaust manifolds possibly being difficult to remove without hacking it up, it's a simple straight forward job.

Some tools you will need...

Standard mechanics tool set.
Torque wrench
Crows foot for removing hub
Gasket scraper to clean off old gasket material.

Other misc. expenses will include fresh oil, fresh coolant and probably around $100 to have the heads milled.

Wish you were closer, I'd be happy to lend you a hand. We just did my buddy's 94 and it runs like a scared cheetah.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:50 PM

Sounds to me like time for a heads/cam upgrade.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by 6SpdLT1Z
Sounds to me like time for a heads/cam upgrade.
This.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:27 PM

How long does it usually take to get the heads back from the machine shop?
Old 04-18-2016, 11:08 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Daltondkoch21
Depends what you are having done to them. You generally don't need head work for a simple blown head gasket, which is the topic of this thread. If you are having the heads rebuilt, valve job, ported, etc., it will depend totally on the shop's work backlog. Good shops are usually busy and take time. Then there's shipping time, if required.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by raroz28
Head gaskets on LT1 is a piece of cake.

Go to advance auto parts website.

Order all the parts you need.

Use coupon code "visa" to save some money and do in store pickup.

All you really need is:

2 head gaskets (I would replace both)
Head bolt kit
Timing cover gasket set
Intake manifold gaskets
Exhaust Manifold gaskets
Rear crossover coolant pipe seals (you will need 4. They are steel with rubber).
Tube of copper RTV (to lay beads for the front and rear of intake)
Can of copper RTV (I use this to spray all my gaskets with)

Do not be afraid of this job. Just remember which bolts go where and be sure to torque the heads in proper sequence to the proper torque.

On my engine because everything is new it comes apart very easy. Some snags you are most likely going to run into:

Y pipe will be rusted and you may not be able to get the Y pipe off the headers. Some people end up having to cut the Y pipe off near the manifold because access to these bolts is just not there. The water pump drive seal is sometimes difficult for beginners to install. I have since bought a tool, but I also have used a socket to install it without any problems. I put a video on youtube describing exactly what you need. Aside from the exhaust manifolds possibly being difficult to remove without hacking it up, it's a simple straight forward job.

Some tools you will need...

Standard mechanics tool set.
Torque wrench
Crows foot for removing hub
Gasket scraper to clean off old gasket material.

Other misc. expenses will include fresh oil, fresh coolant and probably around $100 to have the heads milled.

Wish you were closer, I'd be happy to lend you a hand. We just did my buddy's 94 and it runs like a scared cheetah.
Originally Posted by Injuneer
Depends what you are having done to them. You generally don't need head work for a simple blown head gasket, which is the topic of this thread. If you are having the heads rebuilt, valve job, ported, etc., it will depend totally on the shop's work backlog. Good shops are usually busy and take time. Then there's shipping time, if required.

Just finished today replacing both side head gaskets on mine...The above information is spot on and if you do happen to get in a bind or have a question there are plenty of good helpful people on this site...Save yourself the money and do it yourself, its much more rewarding and if your going to drive an F body with an lt1 you might as well get used to doing your own mechanical work unless your loaded with cash unlike me lol.....Good luck!
Old 04-18-2016, 11:27 PM
Administrator

This is a four year old thread. I was replying to Daltondkoch21, who brought it back from the dead with a somewhat unrelated question.
Old 05-08-2016, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
This is a four year old thread. I was replying to Daltondkoch21, who brought it back from the dead with a somewhat unrelated question.
Lmao
Old 05-08-2016, 03:52 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Daltondkoch21
Guess it wasn't very important to Dalton. He has not signed into the site since he signed off immediately after his only post.