LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

big stall ~ little gears

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2003, 04:50 AM
West South Central Moderator

Question big stall ~ little gears

I'm strongly considering take the 4.10s out of my SS, but I don't want to mess with the 3200 stall Vigilante. I'm considering putting my stock 3.08s or some 3.42s in.
I'm going to be needing much better gas mileage for long highway trips. I'm assuming that with a lockup converter, it (the converter) what the gears are. It should be locked at a certain RPM, right?

I'm wondering how it will be around town though. The biggest problem I see is driving around at low speeds under the stall speed with the converter unlocked. I normally manually shift anyway. I think that if I keep it in the lowest gear that's comfortable (1st up to about 25mph, 2nd up to about 45mph, 3rd up to about 75mph, then use overdrive only for the highway) then I probably won't have any problems.

I'm thinking there might be a way to program the lockup points to help with this. Any suggestions?

Traction with regular tires should be better, but I don't want to bog. With the stock cam, that shouldn't be a problem, but who knows later?

Has anybody tried this kind of combination before?

I know this will hurt my 60ft times with sticky tires, but should help with less than sticky tires the rest of the time. Does anybody want to make a guess at how much it will hurt my quarter mile times?