LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

is this a bad water pump, a bad sensor, or LT1 cooling system just suck??

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2003, 02:52 PM

Thumbs down is this a bad water pump, a bad sensor, or LT1 cooling system just suck??

well, i went to vegas for the weekend. and my car has problem cooling its self down. i reprogram the low cooling fans to start at 185*. but the problem is with the AC on. on the way to vegas there was a slight traffic jam going uphill. and i can only go 25 MPH on stop and go traffic going up hill. and my coolant temp went up slowly (in about 15 minutes) passed the half mark gauge. also in vegas, about 100*, with the AC on the coolant temp slowly rising if i drive on the city. now my question is, is my water pump going south again? or my coolant temp sensor is nearly dead?? or LT1 cooling system just plain suck??

also, will a high speed fans turns on when the AC's on?? thanks a lot
Old 09-01-2003, 03:01 PM

Talking simple but affective

We just put a opti-spark on so the water pump and radiator was drain. Before we put it in, my car would run hot above 220. Before I had replaced the coolant temp sensor, thermastat, etc. Yesterday when we put the anti-freeze and water, my temp went to 260! I immediately shut the engine off. My mechanic said it had air in the lines. yesterday we kept adding anti-freeze, he turned the screw that clears the air out of the line.

My car not dropped in temperature, but I can run the ac now and it runs alot cooler. Just a thought. Good luck!

Last edited by thebadone; 09-01-2003 at 03:05 PM.
Old 09-01-2003, 03:04 PM

Re: simple but affective

Originally posted by thebadone
We just put a opti-spark on so the water pump and radiator was drain. Before we put it in, my car would run hot above 220. I replaced the coolant temp sensor, thermastat, etc. When we put the anti-freeze and water, my temp went to 260! I immediately shut the engine off. My mechanix said it had air in the lines. We kept added anti-freeze, he turned the screw that clears the air.

My car not dropped in temperature, but I can run the ac now and it runs alot cooler. Just a thought. Good luck!
thanks for the advice. i will get a new waterpump next week, as well as a new thermostat and sensor. i had a warranty on the waterpump, so i'm just gonna get a new one. thanks again
Old 09-01-2003, 03:09 PM

Wink getting hot!

Mine has a new coolant temp, thermastat, etc. and still got hot. So make sure you clear the air out of the lines. It is a screw, pretty obvious, sitting on the line that runs directly to your radiator. Sorry you had to put in new water pump on. We put mine back on yesterday ( on a sunday yuck!). Good luck!
Old 09-01-2003, 03:11 PM

Re: getting hot!

Mine has a new coolant temp, thermastat, etc. and still got hot. So make sure you clear the air out of the lines. It is a screw, pretty obvious, sitting on the line that runs directly to your radiator. Sorry you had to put in new water pump on. We put mine back on yesterday ( on a sunday yuck!). Good luck!
how many times do you have to bleed the system?? thanks
Old 09-01-2003, 03:14 PM

running hot

Ensure both of your fans on with ac on,also check that no trash or dirt blocking air flow thru your radiator.Hope this helps Ya! Jake
Old 09-01-2003, 03:28 PM

Re: running hot

Originally posted by jakesnake123957
Ensure both of your fans on with ac on,
i can hear the fans in turning on, but i'll double check.

Originally posted by jakesnake123957
check that no trash or dirt blocking air flow thru your radiator
already did that. i just removed the cover that cover the radiator, and i didnt install it back...do you think this might be the cause for this??
Old 09-01-2003, 03:28 PM

Cool getting hot!

Once you get the radiator and water pump drained, you will need to clear in air out of the line. Watch the temp it will shoot up immediately or at least mine did. I assume that yours will also. He turned the screw and let the air out, and you can see it. We watch the level and then the thermastat open and we added some more antifreeze, and put the lid on, again he turned the screw and some more air came out. He kept doing it until no more air or pressure was coming out of the line. I asked everyone what was causing mine temp to shoot up, and NOONE even mentioned that air was in the line. Everyone kept suggesting other things, thermastat, coolant temp sensor. Hoped it helped
Old 09-01-2003, 03:32 PM

Re: getting hot!

Once you get the radiator and water pump drained, you will need to clear in air out of the line. Watch the temp it will shoot up immediately or at least mine did. I assume that yours will also. He turned the screw and let the air out, and you can see it. We watch the level and then the thermastat open and we added some more antifreeze, and put the lid on, again he turned the screw and some more air came out. He kept doing it until no more air or pressure was coming out of the line. I asked everyone what was causing mine temp to shoot up, and NOONE even mentioned that air was in the line. Everyone kept suggesting other things, thermastat, coolant temp sensor. Hoped it helped
i already bleed my system, i open the screw until coolant coming out....thanks

but i might do it again, just to check...
Old 09-01-2003, 06:09 PM

ttt
Old 09-01-2003, 07:20 PM

Re: Re: getting hot!

Originally posted by TMDZ28
how many times do you have to bleed the system?? thanks
Open up each bleeder valve (one at a time) with the car running and kepp it open till the coolant starts streaming out, not spits out inconsistanly but is just constantly coming out, then repeat this for the other one, alos i had cooling probs with mine, and the best ting i can say for that situtaion is TB bypass more/less for sh*ts and giggles tho) 170* Stat, Electric WP and the SLP fan switch! no my baby runs cool as $#@&!!!
Old 09-01-2003, 10:24 PM

Halfway on the gauge is nothing to get concerned about.

High speed fans do not automatically come on with the a/c. High speed is temperature dependent.

Visually check to be sure both your fans are working.
Old 09-01-2003, 11:14 PM

If your in traffic and it is only going to the half way mark I would not worry about it. Your fine until it get over to the red area. Your fans should come on before that.
Old 09-02-2003, 12:40 AM

My engine block/coolant temp is at 185* farenheit when the needle is just a hair below the midway mark. If your meters are calibrated anything like mine then the Midway Mark is where the OEM Thermostat is supposed to open up. So in my car i would get close to the 3rd mark by the time the Coolant temp is in the 220 degrees..

My fans used to come on at 212*degrees... the slow fan that is

I now have my slow speed fan come on at 185degree farenheit. for fuel economy since I dont know at what point the car would switch back to open loop.

If someone know at what themp it switchs to close loop operation I would greatly apreciate if you share with me... I want to keep my fans coming on about 10 to 15 degrees above that point.

Marvin
Old 09-02-2003, 01:39 PM

Originally posted by shoebox
Halfway on the gauge is nothing to get concerned about.

High speed fans do not automatically come on with the a/c. High speed is temperature dependent.

Visually check to be sure both your fans are working.

thanks for the input...what i mean is

will the high speed fans turns on when the temp. is rising to a certain point even with the AC's on??

thanks shoebox

thanks everyone

Quick Reply: is this a bad water pump, a bad sensor, or LT1 cooling system just suck??