LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Bad eBay opti or what???

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 10:13 AM
Administrator

Re: Bad eBay opti or what???

How old is your "older car"..... up to 93 the IAC was different.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:25 PM

The other car is 1995

I managed to get it to idle today but it still runs rough and if it drops under 1000 Rpms it wants to cut off I also had a friend hit the throttle and there was black smoke coming out the exhaust
Old 09-22-2015, 08:55 PM

Now this

Old 10-23-2015, 12:34 AM

okay guys so I ordered a new acdelco optispark Put it on it and it idled once and wouldn't anymore i went and bought a scanner and it showed codes that lead me to the coil I swapped it out with another one and it started and held its own idle. But it seems to bog out and or die when I press the throttle
Old 10-23-2015, 09:33 AM
Administrator

What were the codes?
Old 10-24-2015, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
What were the codes?
I chased them down it doesn't seem to do it anymore. The only one now is a p0100 for the maf. I'm thinking it's because the hose from the air pump is disconnected from the cai. Other then that she starts and roars, just gotta fill the coolant back up. How much would I need just to reinstall the water pump?? Or do I still need enough to fill the block?
Old 10-24-2015, 08:48 AM
Administrator

P0100 isn't being caused by the AIR pump supply hose being off the intake ducting. Any air entering that location will still be measured correctly by the MAF sensor.

P0100 indicates the MAF reading is static. This could be a broken pink wire in the harness, which is a fairly common problem on the 1996 cars, in particular. Key on, connector off the MAF, check for 12V between the pink wire in the harnness connector and the black/white wire in the harness. Then, if your multi-meter can measure frequency, reconnect the harness, start the engine and measure the signal between the yellow wire and the blck/white wire. At idle, should be around 2,500 Hz. Open the throttle and the frequency should increase.

Not sure why you are reluctant to tell us the previous codes. You can clear some of them, but that doesn't mean they won't come back when the engine is operated under the specific conditions required to run the diagnostic for the code. The problem my still be there, code may not have returned because you haven't operated the engine under certain conditions.
Old 10-25-2015, 03:53 PM

P0100 isn't being caused by the AIR pump supply hose being off the intake ducting. Any air entering that location will still be measured correctly by the MAF sensor.

P0100 indicates the MAF reading is static. This could be a broken pink wire in the harness, which is a fairly common problem on the 1996 cars, in particular. Key on, connector off the MAF, check for 12V between the pink wire in the harnness connector and the black/white wire in the harness. Then, if your multi-meter can measure frequency, reconnect the harness, start the engine and measure the signal between the yellow wire and the blck/white wire. At idle, should be around 2,500 Hz. Open the throttle and the frequency should increase.

Not sure why you are reluctant to tell us the previous codes. You can clear some of them, but that doesn't mean they won't come back when the engine is operated under the specific conditions required to run the diagnostic for the code. The problem my still be there, code may not have returned because you haven't operated the engine under certain conditions.
I wrote them down I have to look at them. But man the drama never ends so a fitting in my water pump came loose at a friends house last night I swapped them and drove it home and now she won't start maaaan
Old 10-25-2015, 06:54 PM

This code was p0731i think
Old 10-26-2015, 02:34 AM

The codes were p0372 p0100 p0102 p0336
Old 10-26-2015, 05:59 PM
Administrator

How did you get rid of P0101 - irrational flow when MAF flow is compared to mass flow calculated using speed-density? That could indicate a tear in the rubber intake elbow.

The other two are for the optical cam position sensor in the Opti. You reported those showed up AFTER you changed the Opti. Did that turn out to be a problem with the short Opti harness?
Old 10-27-2015, 03:28 PM

How did you get rid of P0101 - irrational flow when MAF flow is compared to mass flow calculated using speed-density? That could indicate a tear in the rubber intake elbow.

The other two are for the optical cam position sensor in the Opti. You reported those showed up AFTER you changed the Opti. Did that turn out to be a problem with the short Opti harness?

Yea it turned out to be the opti harness. And as far as the maf code there's an open fitting on the cai where one of the hoses for the air pump goes, I hooked the hose up and wiped the code and it never came back.

Currently it's starting and driving but there's a code P0441 popping up, something about the EGR I believe. Aside from that i can only drive it short distances because the fans aren't kicking on due to wires being cut to hell idk who did the job on here but the tail lights are converted 97-02 style wired to a switch next to the steering wheel. And it uses the reverse lights as tail lights, brake lights still work though. And the dash doesn't light up. Little TLC for this one lol.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:53 PM
Administrator

Since that AIR opening was before the MAF sensor, it had no effect on the sensor flow readings. It just meant you were pulling in unfiltered air.

P0441 is for the EVAP system - No Flow During Purge. The OBD-2 engines have a vacuum detection switch in the line from the canister to the purge solenoid. The switch is mounted toward the front of the passenger side valve cover. When the PCM opens the EVAP purge solenoid, the switch should see a vacuum, but it's not seeing it. Could be faulty solenoid (mechanically, not electrically - there is a separate code for that), solenoid plugged with carbon particles, or broken/leaking vacuum hose between the throttle body and the purge solenoid.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:18 PM

Since that AIR opening was before the MAF sensor, it had no effect on the sensor flow readings. It just meant you were pulling in unfiltered air.

P0441 is for the EVAP system - No Flow During Purge. The OBD-2 engines have a vacuum detection switch in the line from the canister to the purge solenoid. The switch is mounted toward the front of the passenger side valve cover. When the PCM opens the EVAP purge solenoid, the switch should see a vacuum, but it's not seeing it. Could be faulty solenoid (mechanically, not electrically - there is a separate code for that), solenoid plugged with carbon particles, or broken/leaking vacuum hose between the throttle body and the purge solenoid.
Well the code hasn't came back yet. I also swapped Mafs from my old car so that might have did it.

As far as the fans go what do you would be the cost to have the wires fixed
Old 10-27-2015, 04:28 PM
Administrator

Which fan wires are cut up.... the ones from the PCM to the relays (would set codes) or the 12V and grounds to the hot side of the relays and then to the fans?

http://shbox.com/1/1995_pcm6.jpg

Quick Reply: Bad eBay opti or what???