LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

ATTN Shoebox 96 TA Fan Prob

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 07:52 PM

ATTN Shoebox 96 TA Fan Prob

A friend of mine said you were the guy to talk to on F-Bodys, would you mind taking a crack at this?

The fans were not spinning in my TA...so I checked all the fuses and relays and they all checked out fine....So finally I replaced the dark green fan wire with a new one and it ended up being the problem...fans spun right up.....only problem is they would'nt stop spinning. Even with the car turned all the way off the fans were still spinning, I have rigged up a fan switch until I can figure out the problem. I have searched the forum but have not found anything exactly like my problem...but tried everything in other related fan problem posts, and have not found anything that could fix the problem. My friend and I think it has to be in the PCM because it seems to be creating a ground for that wire that should not be grounded at that time, Only even after taking out the PCM fuses the fan keeps turning.

Please help, if we keep at it my car will slowly be converted into a Bar-B-Q pit!

Cory

Last edited by Grims; 09-21-2004 at 07:54 PM.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:51 PM

Re: ATTN Shoebox 96 TA Fan Prob

I'm not shoebox, so I hope you don't mind me answering.....

Once I had a problem like that, it turned out that when I plugged the relay back in, one of the terminals pushed up into the relay and shorted the contact so it always stayed on.

Check to make sure the relay isn't shorted.

-Dave C. '97 Z28
Old 09-21-2004, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by TA-Body
A friend of mine said you were the guy to talk to on F-Bodys, would you mind taking a crack at this?

The fans were not spinning in my TA...so I checked all the fuses and relays and they all checked out fine....So finally I replaced the dark green fan wire with a new one and it ended up being the problem...fans spun right up.....only problem is they would'nt stop spinning. Even with the car turned all the way off the fans were still spinning, I have rigged up a fan switch until I can figure out the problem. I have searched the forum but have not found anything exactly like my problem...but tried everything in other related fan problem posts, and have not found anything that could fix the problem. My friend and I think it has to be in the PCM because it seems to be creating a ground for that wire that should not be grounded at that time, Only even after taking out the PCM fuses the fan keeps turning.

Please help, if we keep at it my car will slowly be converted into a Bar-B-Q pit!

Cory
Sounds like your green wire may be constantly grounded. You need to check that out.

There are some fan schematics on my Tech Page, but there is a little difference in the years. The fan relays are constantly powered on 96-97s, so if the green or blue relay control is grounded, the fans will stay on.

Last edited by shoebox; 09-21-2004 at 09:33 PM.
Old 09-22-2004, 12:38 PM

Thanks for the replies, I will check that relay the first chance I get. If that is not the problem and the wire is being grounded constantly, how do I tell and how can I fix it?
Old 09-22-2004, 02:18 PM

I just picked up a '97 F-body Service Manual, lemme know if you want, I'll scan the fan schematics page.