LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Anyone interested in not having to remove the water pump in order to change the opti?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 08:21 PM

Anyone interested in not having to remove the water pump in order to change the opti?

This concept spaces the lt1 water pump off the block just enough to allow the optispark to be removed without having to actually remove the water pump. This obviously saves a LOT of hassle AND in spacing it away from the opti, allows a little more airspace around the unit, allowing it to potentially run cooler, and keeps the weep hole from weeping all over the opti in the event of a failure. Possibly the biggest advantage of this is the confidence to run your run of the mill parts store opti with a lifetime warranty and never have to pay for another again, without the hassle of draining the coolant system if/when it goes bad. Because of the nature of this mod, electric water pump users are probably not going to be able to run the spacers without some extensive trimming of the radiator fan shroud (I highly doubt a mezierre will fit, a CSR or jets unit MIGHT).

Basically this kit would include two CNC aluminum 1.25" spacers, extended bolts, two sets of water pump gaskets, and either a new or extended water pump drive coupling. Still working on gathering materials for production pricing, (and possibly a vendor to supply internally splined couplings so i don't have to weld an extension to the OEM coupling.... aka more money) so that is still an unknown at the moment but I'm looking at around $150 shipped (this is an ESTIMATE, not a final price!)

This being said, give me your thoughts and opinions on the concept and if you think this is a product you would be interested in.

Here are a few quick (and dirty) videos showing the installed water pump and the removal and installation of the opti to show that it works, and a pic of these beautiful spacers....

http://ltxtech.com/forums/showthread...hange-the-opti

posted for a friend
Old 04-10-2014, 09:35 PM

Re: Anyone interested in not having to remove the water pump in order to change the o

How about being able to accurately line up the opti for reinstall? The video does not instill much confidence in that being easily achieved. Of course, it is easy enough to pop it off and retry. No way you would be able to do it the way the MSD instructions say by having the cap off and using the rotor for location (not that everyone does this).

I am assuming the opti mounting bolts are easily reachable? That is not addressed.

There also might be some concern with extending the coupler. If not straight, true and balanced, it could possibly cause premature failure issues with either end of the drive system. Might take some mileage under the belt to prove out.

Just throwing thoughts out there.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:21 PM

Re: Anyone interested in not having to remove the water pump in order to change the o

In the video the engine is on a stand making somewhat easier to access the opti. I would like to see it done while the engine is in a fbody. Not knocking the concept but I dont see a real advantage to the spacers. The opti removal /replacement is a bitch of a job anyways. With the water pump on in the video, to me it would make lining up the opti more difficult. Almost like your blindfolded. With a 92-94 spline drive like I have, it is critical to line it up right the first attempt. With the water pump in the way I see several attempts to getting it right. Also with the cost of a new AC Delco/Delphi which is pricey, 325-400 $ I could not justify the cost of the spacers.

Dont mean to sound negative but thats my opinion.

Good luck
Old 04-11-2014, 10:31 PM

Yeah, I'm not sure many people will willing to pay that much for spacers. You might check into casting them instead of CNCing them. Granted I'm sure a lot of your cost is the new spline drive for the WP which isn't cheap.

Also, a mezierre definitely won't fit and I doubt a CSR would clear the fans either.
Old 04-12-2014, 01:55 AM

Honestly... i would def consider it.. esp with the supercharger sharing wp bolts and being a pita to remove. Actually...even on the stock TA, Id def do it... Pay now for simplified process forever...win/win.

LTXtech.com is my DRUG!