LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Is this the alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 12:41 PM

Exclamation Is this the alternator?

I searched around and got some vague situations and answers so I figure I take a stab at it here. My problem is slight stumbling under load....anything above 3k the lights will go dime even sitting in the garage. Under load on the road it dips down to 7 volts or less and I'm talking slight load. As soon as I lay off the gas it'll shoot back up to 15 or so. Only thing I've done is relocate the alt w/ new guage wiring and that's and installed a calibration box and that's it. It was do this from time to time w/ before the box was installed. It even triggers the ABS inop light as well when it dips that low.

How long does a alt normally last? This is the factory piece on my 93. If it is the alt where can I order a good online since I'm stationed overseas I can't go to the local parts store downt the street.

Thanks!
Old 10-06-2004, 01:45 AM

Re: Is this the alternator?

Nobody hu?
Old 10-06-2004, 05:30 AM

Well several things could be loading down the electrical system. Including a bad battery. The first question to ask yourself is what happened before you relocated the alternator? Did you use the correct gage wiring? Are the splices done correctly? Have you checked the grounds at the chassis and frame? I don't mean just look at them, actually remove them and be sure they are shiney. Have you had the battery load tested and charged?

If you have done all that, check the charging system while your getting the battery checked. It's free. But get a guarantee from the pimple faced kid that tells you something is defective that might not be LOL.

If you want to check the charging system yourself AFTER you confirmed the battery is good is do the following. Put a volt meter set to DC across the battery while the engine is running. The voltage should be around 14volts. Now set the meter for AC and measure from the negative post of the battery to the output post of the alternator. The reading should at or below 0.03 V AC. If it is higher, the diodes are defective and the alternator needs replacing.

Dave
Old 10-06-2004, 07:18 AM

Hey thanks. Everything you mentioned I did w/ the exception of the volt meter test. Like I said though I just relocated the alt and the box nothing more.