LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

AC codes and what they mean/how to fix?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 01:58 PM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?
Re: AC codes and what they mean/how to fix?

You have to wonder why a P/O would bypass the PCM control of the compressor relay. I would disconnect the added switch until you are satisfied with the solution. It might cause damage to the pcm to have the switch and pcm set to opposite on/off positions. Did you check to make sure the compressor could be switched off by using the regular control?
Old 07-19-2014, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by GaryDoug
You have to wonder why a P/O would bypass the PCM control of the compressor relay. I would disconnect the added switch until you are satisfied with the solution. It might cause damage to the pcm to have the switch and pcm set to opposite on/off positions. Did you check to make sure the compressor could be switched off by using the regular control?

The switch and wire the P/O used is no longer connected and was taken out.

We cut the unnecessary wire out and hooked the correct wire (green with white stripe) directly back to the pcm.

When I turned the **** to "a/c" the compressor did turn on immediately. Same thing when I turned it to "max".

The air was cool but not cold but it was working at that time.....

That being said I drove it more today and realized the check engine light was on (I have to check the codes later), but the compressor would not turn on and the ac wasn't working again.....

Looks like there's another piece to this puzzle that needs to be solved.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:23 PM
Prominent Member

A few possible explanations come to my mind. Getting the code(s) would be the next step.
1. If the code indicates low refrigerant pressure (DTC67 maybe...) then the system need to be recharged, but I think it is possible to set no code even if that is the case sometimes.
2. An intermittent device, like HVAC switch or PCM output driver. Probably most likely explanation, because of the PCM bypass done by the P/O. Then your choices would be limited to repairing the PCM or putting back the bypass switch and timing the operation of the added switch with the operation of the HVAC panel switch. But cutting the wire from the HVAC switch to the PCM would get rid of that timing issue.

Last edited by GaryDoug; 07-19-2014 at 09:26 PM.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:18 PM

A few possible explanations come to my mind. Getting the code(s) would be the next step.
1. If the code indicates low refrigerant pressure (DTC67 maybe...) then the system need to be recharged, but I think it is possible to set no code even if that is the case sometimes.
2. An intermittent device, like HVAC switch or PCM output driver. Probably most likely explanation, because of the PCM bypass done by the P/O. Then your choices would be limited to repairing the PCM or putting back the bypass switch and timing the operation of the added switch with the operation of the HVAC panel switch. But cutting the wire from the HVAC switch to the PCM would get rid of that timing issue.
Ok sorry for not posting...I have been busy with work.

I scanned my car today and found:

26 quad driver module fault

32 EGR system Problem

61 A/C compressor fault

I'm assuming the last code is the only code I need for the A/C. So my question is what does the 61 code usually mean and whats the next step?

I checked out this chart and 61 just says A/C system performance and nothing else.

Should I go ahead and have my mechanic charge the A/C? Or is this a bigger issue?
Old 07-27-2014, 04:17 PM
Administrator

Use Shoebox's code list. It's specific to the LT1, by year. Generic lists often include errors. For example, only the 93 has a "quad driver module".

http://shbox.com/1/Dtcs.htm

DTC 26 = EVAP canister purge solenoid fault.

DTC 32 means the PCM cycled the EGR valve, and did not see the expected change in MAP, which would result from the EGR flow into the manifold = no flow.

DTC 61 = low pressure in the refrigerant system (that's out of the factory manual, not Shoebox's list)
Old 07-27-2014, 05:24 PM
Prominent Member

Yes, do the recharge.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:15 PM

Yes, do the recharge.
its going in tomorrow for the recharge.

thanks,

Ryan
Old 07-28-2014, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by MDZ28
its going in tomorrow for the recharge.

thanks,

Ryan
I Just got back home from the recharge.

It ran cold on the way home (for about an hour) so I should be good. I'm giving it a couple weeks of run time before coming to the conclusion that it is officially fixed.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by MDZ28
I Just got back home from the recharge.

It ran cold on the way home (for about an hour) so I should be good. I'm giving it a couple weeks of run time before coming to the conclusion that it is officially fixed.
For what it's worth, I recently took my '95 to get the A/C system repaired and the tech eventually found that the whole problem was related to a failed Schrader valve. That's the last place I would have looked. Expensive diagnosis, cheap fix.

Good luck,

c