LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

97 Z28 New GM water pump: Coolant leaking thru bolt holes. What to do??

Old 12-09-2010, 04:58 PM

97 Z28 New GM water pump: Coolant leaking thru bolt holes. What to do??

I'm about to pull my hair out on this one guys. I've tried everything. Brass washer under the head, used plenty of thread sealer on the threads, because I know they thread into the water jacket. I had a problem with my old water pump yesterday doing it on one side, now with the new GM pump it's one bolt on the other side. It's not a small leak either, and the bolts are all tight, and have been torqued in sequence to 30 lb-ft. I've used the search function and haven't turned up much. Any suggestions that have worked for any of you guys?
Old 12-09-2010, 05:11 PM

Re: 97 Z28 New GM water pump: Coolant leaking thru bolt holes. What to do??

RTV is all i can say. I dont know of anybody that has had your trouble before. Take each bolt out only one at a time and put a generous amount of RTV on the threads and reinstall. Go to the next bolt and do the same. No need to take the wp back off. Make sure you have the opti covered before you start or you know what will happen.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:59 PM

I found part of the problem. One of the bolts is deteriorated to the point where water/coolant is JUST able to pass by the threads. If you run your fingers along the threads, the bolt is actually larger on the end than 3/4" from the end of the bolt. I bought four new bolts at the hardware store and just got done installing them. That problem is gone, now I got another one. The heater hose on the front of the pump is now leaking all over the place. I tell you what, one problem after another on this water pump deal. Originally this all started due to an oil leak on the front cover(pinpointed that to the water pump drive shaft seal). That problem is solved now. The PCV valve hose was kinked and building enough pressure in the crank case(no vent) to force it out the front seal. Then I noticed the water pump leaking(older one), so I decided to replace it. Got the genuine GM part so it will last. Then the bolt hole water leak problem. Now a heater hose problem...this car has got me by the ***** right now.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:18 PM
Jlo

Originally Posted by 97Z28Muscle
I found part of the problem. One of the bolts is deteriorated to the point where water/coolant is JUST able to pass by the threads. If you run your fingers along the threads, the bolt is actually larger on the end than 3/4" from the end of the bolt. I bought four new bolts at the hardware store and just got done installing them. That problem is gone, now I got another one. The heater hose on the front of the pump is now leaking all over the place. I tell you what, one problem after another on this water pump deal. Originally this all started due to an oil leak on the front cover(pinpointed that to the water pump drive shaft seal). That problem is solved now. The PCV valve hose was kinked and building enough pressure in the crank case(no vent) to force it out the front seal. Then I noticed the water pump leaking(older one), so I decided to replace it. Got the genuine GM part so it will last. Then the bolt hole water leak problem. Now a heater hose problem...this car has got me by the ***** right now.
Welcome to the LT1 world..
Old 12-09-2010, 08:53 PM

Most of the time, it pays to get new hardware when swapping things out. When doing my water pump, I had new bolts from GM ready. Also chase the holes with a thread chaser. Permatex high temp thread sealant is what I used on the threads. Zero leaks.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by ACE1252
. Permatex high temp thread sealant is what I used on the threads. Zero leaks.

X2...not silicone(RTV). This is the right stuff according to GM.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:22 AM

I use permatex thread sealant with teflon..no problems,use on the intake bolts,water pump bolts.zero leaks.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:54 AM

Yup, I used a teflon based thread sealant and four new bolts. I replaced the long bolts only, the other two are shorter and I don't know whether or not they enter the water jacket. That's a horrible design to have these bolts enter the water jacket, that's basically asking for the thing to leak...Anyways, i'll give an update later this evening after I get it all figured out today. Thanks for all the replies.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:28 PM

That's a horrible design to have these bolts enter the water jacket, that's basically asking for the thing to leak...Anyways, i'll give an update later this evening after I get it all figured out today. Thanks for all the replies.

It's a horrible design that lasted over 42 years...ever since the original small block, LOL
Old 12-10-2010, 10:38 PM

Pretty much, bwhunter...LOL. I got it figured out today and actually took the damn thing for a drive. After replacing the worn bolts this thing hasn't leaked a drop. I'm learning more and more about my LT1 every day. I got the oil leak figured out too, it was a problem with the PCV valve. Got everything straightened out now and she really purrs. I can't wait to get some louder exhaust on this thing so I can actually hear the cam loping...Sweet thunders for me after I get a little more cash.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:48 PM

Pretty much, bwhunter...LOL. I got it figured out today and actually took the damn thing for a drive. After replacing the worn bolts this thing hasn't leaked a drop. I'm learning more and more about my LT1 every day. I got the oil leak figured out too, it was a problem with the PCV valve. Got everything straightened out now and she really purrs. I can't wait to get some louder exhaust on this thing so I can actually hear the cam loping...Sweet thunders for me after I get a little more cash.
I learn something new about my car every time I work on it(I learn new cuss words too). I've went from just a couple of bolt ons to having taken the engine all the way down to the bare block in my time here over the last 13 years. The 4th gen Camaro is a good balance between speed and price. That is why I have kept mine for so long. I hope you enjoy yours too.