LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Water in a cylinder do I have to rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 11:46 PM

Water in a cylinder do I have to rebuild?

As where I thought it was my flywheel that broke off two starter motors, my mechanic says that he found water in the far back passenger side cylinder. Is my only option to rebuild this engine? It ran fine to work that day with no loud booms or sounds or anything. Also I did notice that it was starting slower and slower. Someone told me that I can just have the heads worked on and have the cylinder dried out and oiled up and I will be fine. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this???? This car is sooooo clean...i just can't afford to drop a new engine in it.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:55 PM
Administrator

Depends where the water/coolant came from. Could have come from a leaky head gasket, or a crack in the head, or a crack in the cylinder wall/water jacket.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:59 PM

well the last thing that I worked on on the car was I personally changed the intake manifold and it was running fine. I noticed that if I would drive for a while and would come to stops, the water indicator light for the radiator would come on and the car would start over heating unless I put the brake and the gas on to keep the rpms up but I NEVER let it redline as far as overheating.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by lc94z
As where I thought it was my flywheel that broke off two starter motors, my mechanic says that he found water in the far back passenger side cylinder. Is my only option to rebuild this engine? It ran fine to work that day with no loud booms or sounds or anything. Also I did notice that it was starting slower and slower. Someone told me that I can just have the heads worked on and have the cylinder dried out and oiled up and I will be fine. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this???? This car is sooooo clean...i just can't afford to drop a new engine in it.
Pull the head off to see if it is a head gasket then you can go from there water in the cylinder is no good, have the head check by your machine shop.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:09 AM

mine did this also. i had blown out the rtv seal on the back of the intake. it was bleeding to death as fast as i could put oil in. grab a flexible mirror and look @ the back of your intake. i broke 4 starters befor i fixed mine. pull all the plugs, roll the motor BACKWARDS by hand to get the fluid out of the cylinders. replace plugs start car for about a 1-2 minutes. STOP drain all oil and change filter, run the car to operating temperature. STOP change oil and filter again. now go play. mine hydro locked twice from a bad intake gasket not a head gasket after my cam swap. this is how i fixed mine. you have to get all the water/coolant out of the oil or you will spin a bearing. hope this helps.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:54 AM

Thanks wooshie! that sounds doable I will post once I have tried this.
Old 06-13-2009, 01:17 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Wooshie
mine did this also. i had blown out the rtv seal on the back of the intake. it was bleeding to death as fast as i could put oil in. grab a flexible mirror and look @ the back of your intake. i broke 4 starters befor i fixed mine. pull all the plugs, roll the motor BACKWARDS by hand to get the fluid out of the cylinders. replace plugs start car for about a 1-2 minutes. STOP drain all oil and change filter, run the car to operating temperature. STOP change oil and filter again. now go play. mine hydro locked twice from a bad intake gasket not a head gasket after my cam swap. this is how i fixed mine. you have to get all the water/coolant out of the oil or you will spin a bearing. hope this helps.
The LT1 intake manifold is "dry". There are no water passages at the intake gasket. How would leaking RTV or a leaking intake gasket put water into a cylinder? Or am I missing something here?