LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

96 lt1 help plz

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 10:45 PM

96 lt1 help plz

hi i got this camaro with the engine swapped and the guy had really no clue what he was doin, it started up and i drove it home with little issue but the car not wanting to idle. i replaced the IACV and the MAF cuz he put the 94 ones on the 96 engine and now it has a better idle. but im havin a issue getting it to stay running it starts fine and will idle fine for a min or so but then it just dies and i wanted to see if anyone had any ideas on what i should try next.(i did a oil change and replaced the spark plugs along with making sure the optispark plugs were going to the right plug). and the PCV is good but the guy just capped off the hose, should i uncap it and put it to where it needs to go and where would that be.

Thank you for the help if u can,
DZ
Old 03-11-2015, 07:15 AM
Administrator

Re: 96 lt1 help plz

Appears you are indicating the swapped engine was from a 96, and it went into a 94 chassis. Is the 96 engine still being controlled by the 94 PCM? Is the swapped engine from an F-Body (Camaro/Firebird) or B-Body (Caprice/SS)?

PLEASE CONFIRM, OR CORRECT THE ABOVE

There is no difference between a 94 and a 96 IAC valve or MAF. They are the same. That should not have been a problem.

The 96 knock sensor is not compatible with the 94 PCM. If it isn't the correct one, will cause a code to set and the PCM will retard the timing.

The 94 does not have a crank position (CKP) sensor, the 96 does. The CKP is only used for misfire detection, so the engine will run with or without it.

Sounds like it has a problem when it attempts to go into closed loop. It can't go into closed loop unless the coolant temp is high enough, and the O2 sensors are hot and working. Need to verify you have those devices properly connected. Once it goes into closed loop, there will be a problem if the O2 sensors are not accurate or heated correctly.

Best thing to do in a situation like this is:

1. Scan for codes

2. Run a data log on the PCM, and provide it for review by one of us.

Until you clear up which PCM you are using - see my assumptions in the first sentence - I can't recommend scanning and data logging procedures.