LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

94 LT1 Starting Problem (Urgent)

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 06:23 PM

94 LT1 Starting Problem (Urgent)

About 4-5 days ago I woke up to go to work.
I put key in ignition and electricity woks but i turn key and nothing happens. No clicking. No turn. Nothing.
I had this problem about a few days earlier after getting off of work. I got in my car, turned the key and nothing. I did it a few more times and it finally fired up. I turned it off and back on again and everything was fine. Worked fine for next few days until now.

Put a battery charger on it but battery is not dead.
Have looked all over google, but no one seems to have the same problem as I.

Like I said
I put the key in, lights come on, everything comes on. However when I turn key nothing seems to happen.

Please help.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:00 PM

Re: 94 LT1 Starting Problem (Urgent)

replace starter (check connections first, and ground post on passenger side fenderwell)
Old 11-30-2014, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by maybe2fast
replace starter (check connections first, and ground post on passenger side fenderwell)
The day it wouldn't start. My dad went out and tried starting it. Started right up, he turned it off and back on just fine.
Came home that day and wouldn't start again and hasn't since.

Dad shorted the starter and started it from there. Fired right up. However would not stay running even with key in ignition.

Last edited by liamcg97; 11-30-2014 at 07:25 PM.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:11 PM

Might be your ignition switch.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by shoebox
Might be your ignition switch.
I read the link you put. However. All those things it said would go out if the ignition switch went out are still working.

My dash lights are still intact, and whenever i turn key they all light up like normal.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:32 PM
Administrator

Has anyone checked the battery terminals and main positive and negatives cables for corrosion and damaged wire strands?
Old 11-30-2014, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by liamcg97
I read the link you put. However. All those things it said would go out if the ignition switch went out are still working.

My dash lights are still intact, and whenever i turn key they all light up like normal.
That does not mean that the contacts in the switch for engaging the starter are ok. Get out the multimeter and schematics and start checking if you are getting voltage along the starting circuit to the starter when the key is in the START position.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:01 AM

Sounds like vats to me. Is the security light on the dash working? It should come on for a minute, but then it should go off. I have done the switch a couple times. One on each of my 94's. It's a pita, and you better tie a good string to the old wires b4 you pull tjem through tje column so you can pull the new wires on the switch back through the column. When the wires start getting weak they don't send the signal to the computer that alloes the car to start. It'll work once in a while until it don't work no more.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by SCNGENNFTHGEN
Sounds like vats to me. Is the security light on the dash working? It should come on for a minute, but then it should go off. I have done the switch a couple times. One on each of my 94's. It's a pita, and you better tie a good string to the old wires b4 you pull tjem through tje column so you can pull the new wires on the switch back through the column. When the wires start getting weak they don't send the signal to the computer that alloes the car to start. It'll work once in a while until it don't work no more.
We do not have the original key and when we got the new one made the person who did it had to bypass the VATS. Do you think one of the wires could be undone or the ignition switch?
Think it has anything to do with the problem?
Old 12-15-2014, 10:06 AM
Administrator

How did they "bypass VATS" without knowing the original key resistance? Or did they reprogram the PCM to eliminate VATS? Or some other method?
Old 12-15-2014, 10:27 AM

What are the results of your troubleshooting with the multimeter and schematics?
Old 12-15-2014, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
How did they "bypass VATS" without knowing the original key resistance? Or did they reprogram the PCM to eliminate VATS? Or some other method?

I am not exactly sure. My grandfather had it done over a year ago and he does not remember who did it.
Old 12-15-2014, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by shoebox
What are the results of your troubleshooting with the multimeter and schematics?
Have not got to it yet. Haven't had much time since holiday season is near. Will update you later on this week hopefully.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:44 AM

Is it a manual trans?

If so, it may be the clutch switch on under the clutch pedal going bad(black switch..on the floor...gets depressed when the pedal is down). When mine was going bad it was doing that exact same thing. Random no starts.....would do nothing....then just come to life.

It finally completely failed on me one morning before work. Took me a couple of hours of tracing with the schematics to find it. I had no idea it was even on the floor. I assumed the schematics were referring to the upper switch, but that is the clutch anticipate switch.

Last edited by ACE1252; 12-21-2014 at 10:51 AM.
Old 12-21-2014, 02:42 PM
Administrator

They may have changed the clutch position switch... my 94 had it on a part of the clutch mounting bracket, to the left of the pedal/lever, and just slightly to the left of the clutch anticipate switch.

It's shown on page 7C-6 in the 1994 factory manual.

Unfortunately, since he doesn't have a "Signature" we don't know what trans the car has.

Quick Reply: 94 LT1 Starting Problem (Urgent)