LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

94' to keep up with new SS

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 06:30 PM

Re: 94' to keep up with new SS

Originally Posted by Dmonty
There's no way they would know the heads as well... But I'm sure with a little luck I can get it with in the ball park. And, that's if the price/risk is worth it. I haven't been quoted a price but I'm looking to save at least 50-60 % by using the local machine shop and doing the work my self. Now if I get there and that's not the case I'll definitely have to reevaluate my plan.
Usually half the price means half the quality. You'll be so much better served picking somebody that has a proven record of building quality LT1 power...

You might be able to save money by purchasing used parts...check the classifieds
Old 03-03-2015, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by shoebox
If they don't have a verifiable track record with the LT1, you may be setting yourself up for major disappointment. You will have a much better chance of meeting your performance goals with the aforementioned experts than a shop that cranks out rebuilds of all types all day long.
Wells I just dropped the heads off, his shop was old but the cars where pretty impressive. He doesn't have a flow bench but he is charging $400 for the port and polish.... We'll see how it goes. Says he uses Inksy cams. And recommends a 3000 stall.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:07 PM

$400 is basically a tank bath valve job new spring install hopefully and gasket match

There will be no bowl blend throat taper and runners won't be true and unbalanced

Insky??? I'd really consider a custom ground billet cam
Old 03-03-2015, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by grabbem88
$400 is basically a tank bath valve job new spring install hopefully and gasket match

There will be no bowl blend throat taper and runners won't be true and unbalanced

Insky??? I'd really consider a custom ground billet cam
Well the machine shop recommended this guy. The $400 is just for the port and polish. Then I take them back to the machine shop. I'm not set on any cam yet. That's just what he recommended. He started up his car with the "Inksy kit" it was a 383 Chevy stroker with a carb. Sounded pretty badass.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:06 PM

Well the machine shop recommended this guy. The $400 is just for the port and polish. Then I take them back to the machine shop. I'm not set on any cam yet. That's just what he recommended. He started up his car with the "Inksy kit" it was a 383 Chevy stroker with a carb. Sounded pretty badass.
Sound isn't power...

Well, good luck. I hope it works out for you...
Old 03-03-2015, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by bw_hunter
Your car has aluminum heads from the factory....unless it isn't from an Fbody.

You can build your car to beat a new SS...you'll need about 400 rear wheel horsepower. 400 at the wheels means roughly 480hp at the crank which can be done several ways. Ported heads, good cam, different rockers great tune...all the ancillary bolt ons. You can also get there with nitrous and a 125 shot. You can build a stroker engine as well...

The real issue is going to be how to get that power to the ground. The stock rear in our cars seems to be made of cheese and will break a ring gear when over powered. This can be cured with a 12 bolt rear from somebody like Strange or Moser. The stock suspension shows a propensity towards wheel hop which can be cured with tubular control arms and relocation plates. I'm just mentioning this so you realize going faster isn't just horsepower...
Since your in a auto you won't need 400hp to the tires to beat a new camaro ss are heavy cars and run 13 in the quarter,

with 328hp to the tires in my old set up i was running 12s, and i was beating my friends procharged camaro "manual" that had 420 to the tires, he thought it was him but he let his friend drive who is a professional driver and i beat him to.

I was cutting 1.68 60 foot times with the stock 10 bolt with 150k at least 60 times on it with no issues or noises, i still have a 10 bolt that is modified and have sprayed a 200 shot out of the hole many times without any issues and I have currently sprayed it on a 250 shot out of the hole with no issues....the 10 bolt is a hit or miss a lot easier on us auto guys. ****with a 2k budget your best bet is to go with Loyd Elliot for sure, don't let a random shop mess with the lt.

ZL1 2dr Coupe 0-60 4.4 sec 1/4 mile 12.5 @ 113 mph
Z/28 2dr Coupe 0-60 4.5 sec 1/4 mile 12.7 @ 112 mph
ZL1 2dr Convertible 0-60 4.6 sec 1/4 mile 12.7 @ 111 mph
SS w/1SS 2dr Coupe 0-60 5.3 sec 1/4 mile 13.5 @ 108 mph
SS w/2SS 2dr Coupe 0-60 5.3 sec 1/4 mile 13.5 @ 108 mph
SS w/1SS 2dr Convertible 0-60 5.5 sec 1/4 mile 13.8 @ 106 mph
SS w/2SS 2dr Convertible 0-60 5.5 sec 1/4 mile 13.8 @ 106 mph

Last edited by dark-evader; 03-03-2015 at 08:43 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:44 PM
Administrator

I suspect he said "Isky".... as in "Iskenderian". Old school. If Ed Iskenderian is still alive he's got to be in his mid-90's...... not that there's anything wrong with that.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:17 AM

$400 is going to get you a basic gasket match and maybe a bowl blending. Save your cash and have the heads done by Lloyd or Phil. Also, it's hard to judge a combo on sound. You can stick a huge cam into an engine with crappy heads and it'll sound like the baddest thing on the street and run slower than a bone stock car. Go with proven results.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by 97WS6SCharged
$400 is going to get you a basic gasket match and maybe a bowl blending. Save your cash and have the heads done by Lloyd or Phil. Also, it's hard to judge a combo on sound. You can stick a huge cam into an engine with crappy heads and it'll sound like the baddest thing on the street and run slower than a bone stock car. Go with proven results.
Agreed, Loyd Elliot does some sweet things to those heads
Old 03-06-2015, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by dark-evader
Agreed, Loyd Elliot does some sweet things to those heads
Well it's to late now... I already dropped them off Two days ago. I'm not going with the Isky cam.

Plus I still have to get the block and crank through the machine shop. Plus a cam kit. So that pushing 2k right there without the Elliot heads.... Dark evader i hope your right, about the 328.
Worst case secnerio ill have to add nitrous...which i want to anyway. I dunno we'll see. Im not expecting the gains i would get from Lloyd. But with a decent head job and a new cam kit i am expecting some good gains.
Old 03-06-2015, 04:51 PM

And some pistons
Old 03-06-2015, 04:58 PM

Well it's to late now... I already dropped them off Two days ago. I'm not going with the Isky cam.

Plus I still have to get the block and crank through the machine shop. Plus a cam kit. So that pushing 2k right there without the Elliot heads.... Dark evader i hope your right, about the 328.
Worst case secnerio ill have to add nitrous...which i want to anyway. I dunno we'll see. Im not expecting the gains i would get from Lloyd. But with a decent head job and a new cam kit i am expecting some good gains.
328* with Stalled 3200 converter.
Old 03-06-2015, 07:15 PM

With a tune he might get a little more

Rebuilt motor tq plated
Rebuilt heads gasget matched atleast springs
1.6 RR
Pacesetter or similar LT's
Cai
Custom cam < this is where I'd scrounge all my pennies

Computer tune < another penny scrounger

Stall obviously

I'd be surprised if it makes less than 330rwh 380-400 at the crank
Old 03-07-2015, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by grabbem88
With a tune he might get a little more

Rebuilt motor tq plated
Rebuilt heads gasget matched atleast springs
1.6 RR
Pacesetter or similar LT's
Cai
Custom cam < this is where I'd scrounge all my pennies

Computer tune < another penny scrounger

Stall obviously

I'd be surprised if it makes less than 330rwh 380-400 at the crank
I 100% agree with the cam and tune. I still have some time to figure out the cam. And well the tune is last of course. I pretty busy this week but next week the block is going to the machine shop. He said just an extra $100 to use the torque plate.
Old 03-07-2015, 02:56 PM

If the man said $400 to port and polish.I would take him at hes word.It will probably port and polish them for that.Its a little more back here to port and polish.About $600 for both.To me thats too much.But if your going to go with a cam.Do your self a favor and get a hold of Lloyd Elliott.Hes honest and great at these old LT1 engines.If he cant come up with what you want.He well recommend someone else.Even its going to cost him money.Thats the kind of person he is.I bough my cam there.Just tell him what you want and he well custom grind you one.And its the same price if you buy a off the shelf cam any place else.Just get a hold of him and talk.that can hurt.Im pushing him because hes a great guy and is again Great with these old LT1 engines.i wish you nothing but grat luck with this build.Post up some pics.after the build.And let us know how it goes.