LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

1995 camaro no start no crank

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 06:47 PM

1995 camaro no start no crank

So my problem is that when I go to start the car I am getting nothing at all from the starter or engine. All of my dummy lights come on okay but that is it. There appears to be a relay to the right of the gas peddle that has a slight clicking sound coming from it. From what I can tell it has pretty much the same colored wires going into it as the ignition switch does. But these wires look as if they are coming from behind the glove box. I checked all fuses and everything is good. Checked all fusible links and all is good there as well. Things that have been done recently lock cylinder replaced as well as ignition switch replaced and TDR has been bypassed. I wanted to check the ignition switch for power and I am getting power to the red hot wire but none of the other wires. I have checked in all key positions. Any suggestions as to where to check from here?
Old 03-01-2013, 04:40 PM

Re: 1995 camaro no start no crank

Are you getting power to the starter ???? Do a search on here for( shoebox ) look at his signature
click on (how to) there is something in there about wiring diagrams
Old 03-02-2013, 09:24 AM

I would agree with Parkers, also check that your cables aren't corroded.

Posted from Camaroz28.com App for Android
Old 03-02-2013, 09:33 AM

Also confirm that ur battery is not dead

I also did not see...

Is ur car an m6 or a4?

If its an m6, could be the neutral safety seitch.

Larry (Popo8) Co-owner
LTXtech.com
Old 03-02-2013, 10:09 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by elite.inc
...... There appears to be a relay to the right of the gas peddle that has a slight clicking sound coming from it. From what I can tell it has pretty much the same colored wires going into it as the ignition switch does. But these wires look as if they are coming from behind the glove box. .....
This is Shoebox's picture of his 95. It does not show a relay near the accel pedal.

http://shbox.com/1/express_down1.jpg

The theft deterrant relay is on the right side of the SIR bracket (air bag bracket, over glove box), behind instrument panel. The theft deterrant module is in the instrument panel, just to right of radio, attached to air bag bracket.If you do not have the electrical schematics, Rob/Shoebox has them. Might want to bookmark his site:

4th Gen LT1 F-Body Tech Aids

Old 03-02-2013, 10:10 AM

I did go through and check to clean all the battery cables and had it checked to make sure it was good. I am getting power to the starter though. I replaced the clutch safety switch prior and that did nothing at all. I am at a lost and running out of things to check.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
This is Shoebox's picture of his 95. It does not show a relay near the accel pedal.

http://shbox.com/1/express_down1.jpg

The theft deterrant relay is on the right side of the SIR bracket (air bag bracket, over glove box), behind instrument panel. The theft deterrant module is in the instrument panel, just to right of radio, attached to air bag bracket.If you do not have the electrical schematics, Rob/Shoebox has them. Might want to bookmark his site:

Thanks. I did take a look at his site before and just as you I did not see any type of relay or anything that should have to do with it not starting. Im not entirely sure what this piece of equipment goes to.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:16 AM
Administrator

This:

I wanted to check the ignition switch for power and I am getting power to the red hot wire but none of the other wires.
would indicate you have 12V on the red wire at the ignition switch, but when the ignition switch is in the "start" position, you don't have 12V on the yellow wire. Wouldn't that indicate a problem with the ignition switch?
Old 03-02-2013, 10:18 AM

I to thought the same thing. But that was the second thing I replaced. Still no change. Does anyone know if I was to use a jumper wire from the red wire to the yellow if that would work?
Old 03-02-2013, 01:42 PM

Is your security light on?

Posted from Camaroz28.com App for Android
Old 03-02-2013, 02:12 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by elite.inc
I to thought the same thing. But that was the second thing I replaced. Still no change. Does anyone know if I was to use a jumper wire from the red wire to the yellow if that would work?
It was not clear from your original post that you replaced the ignition switch in response to the "no voltage on any pin" measurements. It appeared that you did that test after you replaced the switch. Are you saying the you still have no power on any terminals other than the red one?

Are you sure the link from the key cylinder to the ignition switch is solidly connected and working? That would be the only explanation for no voltage on any of the output pins for both the old and new ignition switches.

Looking at the wiring schematic, it would appear that if you held the key in the "start" position and then jumped the red to yellow wire terminals the starter should kick in. The one problem might be that the injectors are powered off a terminal strip that is common to "run" and "start" and by using the bypass you may not get power to the injectors (pink wire). Ditto with the PCM.

How did you measure the voltage on the red wire ignition switch terminal? How did you measure the voltage on the other output wire terminals with the key in various positions? Did you use the same ground source for all tests?
Old 03-02-2013, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by popo8
Also confirm that ur battery is not dead

I also did not see...

Is ur car an m6 or a4?

If its an m6, could be the neutral safety seitch.

Larry (Popo8) Co-owner
LTXtech.com
A4 cars have a neutral safety switch, M6 cars gave a clutch safety switch......tranny can be in any gear but clutch must be depressed.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:58 PM

My security light is not on beyond when first turning the key. Was able to check and see in the fuse panel I was not getting power to the crank fuse. Pretty much got tired of all the wiring and decided to just run a push button start and all is a go now. Thanks everyone for the assistance.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:59 AM

Re: Re: 1995 camaro no start no crank

Originally Posted by bw_hunter
A4 cars have a neutral safety switch, M6 cars gave a clutch safety switch......tranny can be in any gear but clutch must be depressed.
geee...sorry.

u know what i meant. just tryin to help the guy out.

Larry (Popo8) Co-owner
LTXtech.com
Old 03-29-2013, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by popo8
geee...sorry.

u know what i meant. just tryin to help the guy out.

Larry (Popo8) Co-owner
LTXtech.com
Yes, I knew what you meant. And I knew that you were trying to help the guy out. I was just correcting your error because a newbie might end up lookingn for the neutral safety switch in his car based on your post. I ws just trying to help out the future poster....

Quick Reply: 1995 camaro no start no crank