LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

1994 z28 camaro smog?? & stock breather ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 03:09 PM

1994 z28 camaro smog?? & stock breather ???

hey guys still getting my camaro going its 1000 times better than a week ago the ac is next but got a question im pretty sure mine still got smog crap on it ?? can i take it off without hurting my car ??? and i think smog line is loose is this bad ?? and my stock breather thinking of getting a cold air has a crack right as it clams into the intake and its got right be four the throttle body a open spot looks like maybe a hose went can these two opening cause my car run bad ?? thanks all info pics of smog would help
Old 07-05-2015, 06:50 PM
Administrator

Re: 1994 z28 camaro smog?? & stock breather ???

Which "smog" line - EGR, AIR, EVAP or PCV?

Not sure why you feel the systems are "crap", they have very little impact on performance.

Any air that enters the intake manifold without passing through the MAF sensor makes it more difficult for the PCM to fuel the engine correctly. Not to mention unfiltered air increases engine wear.

Last edited by Injuneer; 07-05-2015 at 06:53 PM.
Old 07-05-2015, 07:21 PM

ehh id be lying if i said witch one its the one coming off the pump that's on the driver side front of the motor ? and when i meant crap i just dont like all of it under the car just looks to crowded and i just like clean looking engine bay and what i was asking is smog line loose will it hurt my car like its not hooked up to nothing at all and so i breather with cracks and looks like where a line should go is bad its the part right b4 the throttle body looks like should have a line hooked up to you just open port sticking out the side ? cause im trying keep my car for long time its only got 140k original miles on it i did car fax since 2009 the car hasn't had 10k miles drove on it
Old 07-05-2015, 07:22 PM

its bone stock car
Old 07-06-2015, 10:40 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by colts0455
ehh id be lying if i said witch one its the one coming off the pump that's on the driver side front of the motor ?
That is the AIR (air injection) pump. It has an air supply line that starts at the air intake duct. If that hose has fallen off, and the hole in the air intake duct is not plugged, you are pulling dirty air into the engine. The pump has a discharge line that connects to metal tubing the connects to each exhaust manifold. If that hose is not connected to the tubing/exhaust manifolds, it isn't hurting anything. The pump only runs for about 3 minutes at startup to minimize pollution from the rich cold start air/fuel mixture, and to help the catalytic converter heat up faster (600*F) so it starts to work.

Courtesy of Shoebox - note that the AIR pump recall does not apply to the 94's so some components may be different. But 94 is the same as 95.

http://shbox.com/1/air_pump_recall.jpg

what i was asking is smog line loose will it hurt my car like its not hooked up to nothing at all and so i breather with cracks and looks like where a line should go is bad its the part right b4 the throttle body looks like should have a line hooked up to you just open port sticking out the side t
Can't really understand what you are saying. If the rubber 90-degree elbow the connects the MAF sensor to the throttle body has a crack in it, it needs to be replaced. And that part is not included in a cold air kit. Just call it the "air intake". A "breather" usually refers to a crankcase breather, part of the PCV system, not the air intake system.

If there is a hole in the 90-deg rubber elbow the runs from the MAF sensor to the throttle body, and it appears to be "factory", the only hole in a 94 is for the inlet air temp sensor. There should be a large plastic tube hanging down from the bottom of the rubber elbow, and that tube is sealed at the end. If the tube is missing, and you have the stock air intake elbow that came with your car, you have a large oval hole, and that would make the MAF sensor and air filter basically useless. Now, if someone has replace the stock air inlet elbow with one from a car with the "1LE" option, it does not have the tube, but the connection for the tube is still there, at the bottom of the elbow, but it is not open.

If you have any hole beside the one for the IAT sensor and the one for the plastic tube, either someone had substituted a 95-97 intake air elbow, which has a tiny hole for the Optispark vacuum line to connect to (94 does not have that line), or maybe someone had a nozzle for a nitrous system in the elbow, and they didn't bother to plug the hole up when they removed the nitrous components.

Courtesy of Shoebox:

IAT sensor:

http://shbox.com/1/iat.jpg

Opti vent connection for 95-97:

http://shbox.com/1/opti_vacuum_harness.jpg

Bottom of 1LE intake elbow:

http://shbox.com/1/elbow_bottom.jpg

Last edited by Injuneer; 07-07-2015 at 01:14 PM.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:49 AM

hey Injuneer i just made a video lol make it easy

Old 07-07-2015, 01:34 PM
Administrator

There are two rubber hoses connected to the AIR pump. See #4 and #5 on this diagram from the 94 factory manual. In your video, I can see the end of hose #5 connected to the metal pipe (#2) for the lines to the exhaust manifolds (#1). I can't see if it is connected to the AIR pump.

Can't see anything else clear enough. You have to crawl under the front of the car and look to see if both your rubber hoses are connected where they should be.

I can look at my AIR pump, which is in the parts pile in my garage, and has both hoses connected to it, but my hose #4 is completely different because it connects to the factory Ram Air box.
Old 07-07-2015, 02:16 PM

i jumped under it real fast here you go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu26...ature=youtu.be
Old 07-07-2015, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Appears to me the other end of it is attached to the AIR pump. Is there a second hose (#5) attached to the AIR pump, and running to the metal pipe (#2)? That hose should be on the connection toward the driver's side of the AIR pump.

Almost seems like the two hoses may be reversed.

Did you look at the back of the big plastic air duct that starts at the air filter box, goes straight up, turns 90-degrees at the radiator corner, and heads over to the MAF sensor. There should be a 5/8" connection for the AIR pump air supply hose, that goes to the connection on the AIR pump toward the passenger side.

Here is a pic I found on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/371357002102?lpid=82&chn=ps
Look at the nipple sticking out and pointing down in the picture. That's where the other end of the hose connects.

This thread has a pic of the hose, which appears to match yours:

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1...gnoses-867139/

Note in his picture the nipple coming off the air duct (right below the yellow fuel line caution label). Yours appears to be wrapped with red tape. That would prevent dirty air from being sucked into the engine.

Last edited by Injuneer; 07-07-2015 at 03:54 PM.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:17 PM

that ebay link looks just how mine does you sent me with lil nipple sticking out the side i just put red tape over it so that hose goes to the nipple on air intake that i put red tape on ? also that link you sent me S.O.S. Air intake elbow and smog pump diagnoses my hose in video looks just like that so i deff need hook it up to the nipple on the air intake ? i just bought new cai its on the way what if it dont come with that nipple to hook up that line ??? what do i do then also ty for alot info
Old 07-07-2015, 10:49 PM
Administrator

If its a decent quality CAI, specifically for the LT1, it should have the connection. If it's a cheapie from ebay, it might not. In that case, get a small valve cover breather/filter and push it into the open end of the AIR pump hose.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:21 AM

be honest its not k&n couldn't drop over 200 in a cai just to much for me its this one

1994-1997 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 5.7L V8 Cold Air Intake (3pc Set)