LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

[B]Car was cutting out now wont Start[/B]

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2004, 04:45 PM

[B]Car was cutting out now wont Start[/B]

Well the car was cutting out while driving. When I say this I mean total loss of engine power then it would run fine. It did through a code it said something like DIS HIGH RES SIGNAL I assume this meens the opti is going bad again. I beleive the High Resolution signal is the signal from the opti to the computer is this right, and should I replace the unit. It is a fairly new opti probably 5k on it. Yesterday the car died at a friends house and now wont start. No Spark fuel pimp is runing, no blown fuses,and the coil is good but I cant test the ignition modual. So it is down to the modual or the opti. Which do you think it is.

Last edited by Super Slow '97; 09-25-2004 at 04:49 PM.
Old 09-25-2004, 06:45 PM

Re: [B]Car was cutting out now wont Start[/B]

Have you pulled any connectors to see what they look like? How long after you changed your cam did the other opti go bad? Have you actually monitored the fuel pressure or did you just hear the pump whining? As an after note not related to your problem, If you have the screen for the MAF, put it back in.
Old 09-25-2004, 10:50 PM

The opti lasted a while after the cam swap... Why do you ask? The conectors looked fine. Is the High resolution signal the one from the opti to the computer?
Old 09-26-2004, 12:25 AM

hi res signal is from the opti. When my ignition switch went, i still had spark, but no fuel.
Old 09-26-2004, 02:55 AM

My car did the exact same thing. I got it scanned and found DTC 36, the same code you got. Mine was the opti crapping out. I would think yours would be the same.
Old 09-26-2004, 06:52 AM

The reason I asked about the cam swap time is sometimes the dowel pin is the wrong length and puts stress on the back of the opti causing it to fail prematurely. The other thing that kills it is not having the vacuum lines configured correctly and the cap gets sucked down too close to the rotor.

The presence or lack of this signal should be verified before you go jumping into replacing anything.

I think you are refering to DTC 0372 (Not 36 as in OBDI cars) which is DI High Resolution Circuit. This occurs when the PCM detects low res pulses but no hi res pulses. If this is your problem, check to see if you have a code 1351 and or 1361 also. You also need to go over the wiring with a fine tooth comb. Ohm the wiring from the opti to the PCM (with the PCM disconnected) first. Be sure to check the signal wire to ground and to 12 volts.

If you have a 1351 or 1361 also let us know. If you don't have those other codes, I fear your opti took a crap.

Dave
Old 09-26-2004, 08:07 AM

I will pull the codes again on mon to see what I got and let you guys know.
Old 09-27-2004, 11:34 PM

update?
Old 09-28-2004, 06:15 AM

Sorry guys I got real busy at work yesterday and could not get to my friends shop to get the scanner. Will get there today and pull the codes.
Old 09-28-2004, 09:45 AM

Well I pulled the codes and it was different this time. Instead of the High resolution signal it through the cade for the Low Resolution Signal. So by that code I assumed it was the Ignition Modual. Tried one from a friend and the car started right up. Well glad I got it fixed and thanks for all the replys. The worst part is that I missed the shootout for the GAFBA (Georgia F-Body Association).
Old 09-28-2004, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Super Slow '97
Well I pulled the codes and it was different this time. Instead of the High resolution signal it through the cade for the Low Resolution Signal. So by that code I assumed it was the Ignition Modual. Tried one from a friend and the car started right up. Well glad I got it fixed and thanks for all the replys. The worst part is that I missed the shootout for the GAFBA (Georgia F-Body Association).
Well I got to the shootout, and my opti died as soon as I pulled into the pits, 150 miles from home. How's that? Still haven't gotten my car back home yet