LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

*PLEASE HELP*!!!!Wires arching to everything!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2004, 09:03 PM

*PLEASE HELP*!!!!Wires arching to everything!!!

Sigh... Ok here's the run down I have a delteq system on my car,the car has been running great for the last 6 months that ive had the delteq kit on my car ,when all of a sudden the other day I get into my car (after driving it all day)and start it up and its misfiring all over the place,it barely idles,and under any throttle it spits,sputters , and pops like crazy!!Cars is not drivable!!I wait til night fall look under the hood and the wires are arching to metal around them and to other wires! How is this possible?I bought new wires today put them on,checked all delteq connections,checked ground from the drivers side head to the fram,everything checks out good ,start the car up same thing!!I called the guys at delteq and they're offering to send me a new setup if the problem persist with no fixing it.

Does anyone have any suggestions or Has this happened to anyone before?any amount of info or help would be gratly appreciated!!THANX!!
Old 11-24-2004, 10:27 PM

Re: *PLEASE HELP*!!!!Wires arching to everything!!!

Did you use Di-electric grease on the boots? I tried to get by without doing it on mine when I changed the wires one time and I ended up haveing to go back and put some on. Then I changed the plugs the other day and forgot to do it again and man that thing was arching out bad on a couple of the plugs. I went back and used that stuff on them and all is well again It doesn't cost that much and usually comes in the new wireset. Can't hurt to give it a try
Old 11-24-2004, 11:53 PM

Yeah, sounds like you need some grease, or better insulated wires... 10.4mm maybe?
Old 11-25-2004, 12:42 AM

Thanks for ur replies but I did use di-electric grease and Im running MSD 8.5 mm wires and have been for the last 2 years and they've never failed like this.This is an out of the blue occurance,like maybe something has failed somewhere,its not like wear problems,like I said the plug wires are brand new no miles on them and they still arch Sux!!
Old 11-25-2004, 01:13 AM

I have been using the same setup for the past 3 weeks or so now: complete Delteq setup, cut to lenght MSD 8.5 Super Conductor wires and NGK TR6 Iridiums, with no problems. Where exactly are the wires arching? Near the coil packs? near the plugs? Did you custom make/cut and crimp these wires together yourself? Thats what I ended up doing. I called MSD and got the part #'s for the terminal ends with boots, and bought a 25' bulk roll of MSD wire. I also have the MSD crimp tool to do this, and they all came out perfect. Where do you have the wires routed? I used several sets of wire seperators, and made sure everything was out of harms way. Let us know what you find out....

Nick