LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Window motor replacement difficulty

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2002, 03:55 PM

Question Window motor replacement difficulty

Has anyone replaced thier own window motor. What is the difficulty and were did you get the parts. Are thier any special tools need and an estimate on the amount of time needed or directions on the net to follow. thanks for the help....
Old 06-21-2002, 09:09 PM

I took the door apart and worked for hours and got nowhere. I ended up taking it to the dealer. It's expensive.

If you can somehow figure out how to do it yourself, you'll save yourself about $300-350.

------------------
Pewter 1999 Z28 M6
Loaded, power everything, t-tops, leather, chrome wheels
Aftermarket stereo system.
adam@adamkirk.com
http://www.adamkirk.com
Old 06-22-2002, 12:01 AM

from what i hear it is a pain, funny thing is i got both of mine replaced in my 99 TA two days ago at Ewing in Dallas, and i have some prices for you...some of this is a little hard to understand so bear with me... all it says is TRIM/GLASS and it has $134.30 beside it then unit price for the motor is $162.00 and the total job for labor and parts ended up being $296.30 for one window, i knew i got that extended warrenty for something bad thing is when they took the door apart they found that the stablizer bars in the door were broken which they said helped kill the motor... is there any other reason for those bars to be broken without the car being wrecked? thing is i dont want to pay money to get the vin ran just to find out it was wrecked when i cant really do anything about it. anyways if yall have any ideas id love to hear them and i hope anything i told you helped out.
Carla
Old 06-22-2002, 10:20 AM

I went to get mine done under warranty and came to find that they were already placed once but the shop did it wrong! This in turn screwed up the movement of the stabilizer thingies and burnt out the motors... So I had to go through hell to get the orignal dealer to replace them, free of charge.

------------------
'99 Z28 M6
Mods: Click here!
Best Time: 13.3691 @ 106mph (no N2O)
60ft: 2.12
AOL IM: Bubblesnaps
Old 06-22-2002, 04:37 PM

Talking

funny reading this topic, about a month ago a friend stopped by my house and said his window wasnt working. i told him i would fix it but this would be my first window motor replacement. He left the car and a new window motor. ten hours later the motor was repaired. first the motor left was a rebuilt motor and it was bad. replaced it. next the motor was held with rivits. searced the world couldnt find large enough rivits. I used screws. I called the guy to come pickup his car. charged him $75 total for the repair. the guy told me the dealer only charged 1 hour labor plus parts and i was screwing him. He gave me $25 took his keys and left. (note to self: friends will pay in advance from now on.) yesterday when i got home from work, theres a message on my phone from the guy saying , the Autozone rebuilt motor I installed had failed and wanted to know if he could drop it off again. I DONT THINK SO

now that im experienced , it takes about two-three hours to replace the motor, you will have to drill out the rivits holding the motor and reinstall new motor with nuts/bolts, wedge something against the window so it does not fall when you pull the motor. Last when you finish adjust window to raise and lower properly.
Old 06-22-2002, 10:40 PM

Lightbulb

It is easy to do. I changed the motor on my wife's 94 v6 camaro a couple months ago and it took a little over an hour to do. Get the motor from Autozone for only $50 with a lifetime warranty and follow these directions:
http://home.swbell.net/shoebox/windowmotor.html
Just take your time. As soon as you drill out the 3 rivets the motor comes out, and you just bolt the new one in. The hardest thing was putting the bolts in when because they are so small.

------------------
'02 Formula M6
Tri Flo Exhaust, B&M Shifter, Whisper Lid, !CAGS, FRA
My old 97 Formula

"I'm not speeding, I'm qualifying."