LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Who has Eibachs with KYB AGX shocks??? Thinking about buying the KYB's...

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2003, 03:15 PM

Who has Eibachs with KYB AGX shocks??? Thinking about buying the KYB's...

I am in dire need of new shocks, and im not sure exactly what kind i want to get. Ive heard good things about KYB shocks for the money, and Im seriously thinking about picking them up. Are the AGX's (5 way adjustable) worth the premium over regular KYB gas adjusts? I should end up paying about 400 delivered, or about 200-250 for the regs. What do you guys think? I want it to handle like a champion on the street. Good at the track too, but handling is my main concern.
Old 03-31-2003, 07:41 PM

Bilstein HD shocks. Better than both of those and under 300 dollars shipped to your door and life time warranty.
They saved my *** yesterday when i was doing 90mph. There was a tire on the bridge laying in my lane. Ive never whipped the car that hard before at that speed. Held superbly.
Bought mine from Zimmer BMW. I found them while doing a bilstein search on yahoo. Go to the auto X section and do a search on my name and the addy is in one of those.
Old 04-01-2003, 08:02 AM

Link?
Old 04-01-2003, 02:11 PM

i have the agx adjustables and eibachs... and they are 8-way adjustable, fwiw. i have the fronts set on 7 and the rears set on 4 for around town and the ride is good enough. if i'm gonna be out on the freeway or burning up some twisties, i will bump the rear up to 5.

as you increase the adjuster on the agx's, it feels like both compression and rebound damping increase... the only problem is, for the rear, the compression damping is a little too stiff on setting 5 (and above 5 it is WAY too stiff for any situation)- which is why i use setting 4 on the rear in town on san francisco's terrible streets. however, when i am hauling azz, the increase in rebound damping to keep the car stable on setting 5 is worth the decrease in ride quality.

if i had it to do over again, i would have called sam strano ( http://www.stranoparts.com ) and got a custom valved set of bilsteins from him for $480 or bite the bullet and get koni sa's all around for $730- which is prolly what i will do in the next couple of months.

hope this helps you.

jay
san francisco
Old 04-01-2003, 02:22 PM

thanks for the info jthomas, i appreciate it. This is only one of the projects im in the middle of. I want the adjustability, and i dont want to spend an arm and a leg. so, kyb it is, and well go from there. Michigan has horrible roads too, but i think ill end up keeping them on a high setting so i dont bottom out on crap. it seems to happen a lot...
Old 04-01-2003, 02:54 PM

sure... i think that if you go with setting 7 on the front and 5 on the rear, you will be rather pleased with the handling. don't go over 5 on the back, though- the compression damping is way too high and the back of the car will "skip" over bumps in corners causing much reduced traction. trust me on this one.

jay
san francisco
Old 04-01-2003, 03:09 PM

Will do. My main goal since ive bought this thing is to have the best of both worlds. I want great handling, but i still want straight line perf. I figure i can do whatever i feel is best for the street(I believe you about the 5), and still loosen up the front and tighten the back for the quarter...
Old 04-03-2003, 11:49 PM

i've heard bilsteins are the best...and yes they have a lifetime warranty
when my suspension gets really bad i'll try to get them