LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

water pump hose leaking

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 03:39 PM

water pump hose leaking

Hey everyone this is my first post on this forum so forgive me if this isnt in the right stop. My 2000 SS Camaro started leaking coolant the other day, so i took it into the shop and have it checked out. they told me i needed a new water pump and wanted $800 to fix it. So i decided to do it my self and picked up a brand new oem replacement pump and slapped it on, but the car still was leaking. So i got under the car to investigate and the (heater core) hose furthest to the front of the car was what was causing the leak. So the first try i tried replacing the stock tension clamps with a screw type hose clamp. still leaked. the second time i tried cutting some hose thinking there might be a pin whole leak, that didn't work. I then put two clamps on and still cant get it to stop leaking. You can see the water boiling out from the the underside of the hose at the connection to the water pump and it only does this when it is hot. Any ideas on how to fix it, other than try replacing the whole hose which is going to be my next thing.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:11 AM

Are you sure the water isn't leaking from somewhere else?
Old 03-27-2010, 10:35 PM

Yeah sorry it was so long getting back, the car is at home. But i jumped under the car today and checked it out and it really does not appear to be coming from anywhere eles. you can see the water kind of boiling out from were the hose is on the fitting to the water pump. it isnt drip fast at all but, i think I'm going to break down and try and replace the hose but i was really trying to keep from doing that, it looks like a b**** to get to connections at the fire wall. I dont know why i cant get it to stop leaking or even if a new hose will fix it. Im stumped
Old 03-28-2010, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by ss2000ss
Yeah sorry it was so long getting back, the car is at home. But i jumped under the car today and checked it out and it really does not appear to be coming from anywhere eles. you can see the water kind of boiling out from were the hose is on the fitting to the water pump. it isnt drip fast at all but, i think I'm going to break down and try and replace the hose but i was really trying to keep from doing that, it looks like a b**** to get to connections at the fire wall. I dont know why i cant get it to stop leaking or even if a new hose will fix it. Im stumped
The hose has probably delaminated and is leaking up stream from the clamp through the cloth fibers between the layers.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:53 PM

okay so you think its probably time to just change the whole hose
Old 04-09-2010, 06:09 AM
01Z

I'm still reeling from the "$800" to replace the water pump part - daaamn!
I'd be a just little suspicious of the pump housing cast where the hose clamps up.

I hate to even mention this but since you remarked on how difficult it is to replace that hose - what I would try is to find a convenient spot on the heater hose, cut and insert a good length of snug fitting copper tube and splice in a short section of hose to the pump. Clamp it all up and see if the new section fixes the leak. If it does then I'd make plans to replace the entire length of hose. I know this all sounds very backyard but I've been poor most of life.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:37 PM

Thanks for the idea, I actually had to end up taking it to a shop becuase of a rear pinion bushing replace and they said the new water pump was bad. So i guess i get to try all of it over again.