Welcome to Camaro Z28!

Welcome to CamaroZ28.Com, the ultimate Source for Camaro enthusiasts! Here you can join over 90,000 Camaro enthusiasts from around the world discussing all things related to Camaros and more. You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions

To gain full access to our forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in over 40 different forums and search/browse from over 5 million posts.
  • Upload your Camaro details to your Garage
  • Post photos, respond to polls and access other special features
  • Gain access to our free marketplace to buy, sell and trade Camaros, parts and more.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so join our community today today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Go Back   CamaroZ28.Com Message Board > 1967-2002 Powertrain Discussion > LS1 Based Engine Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Garage Photos Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Links Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Z28LiveVendor Directory

Reply Post New Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-25-2010, 03:39 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to ss2000ss
water pump hose leaking

Hey everyone this is my first post on this forum so forgive me if this isnt in the right stop. My 2000 SS Camaro started leaking coolant the other day, so i took it into the shop and have it checked out. they told me i needed a new water pump and wanted $800 to fix it. So i decided to do it my self and picked up a brand new oem replacement pump and slapped it on, but the car still was leaking. So i got under the car to investigate and the (heater core) hose furthest to the front of the car was what was causing the leak. So the first try i tried replacing the stock tension clamps with a screw type hose clamp. still leaked. the second time i tried cutting some hose thinking there might be a pin whole leak, that didn't work. I then put two clamps on and still cant get it to stop leaking. You can see the water boiling out from the the underside of the hose at the connection to the water pump and it only does this when it is hot. Any ideas on how to fix it, other than try replacing the whole hose which is going to be my next thing.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on CamaroZ28.com!
ss2000ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 05:11 AM   #2

Send a message via ICQ to johnny6 Send a message via AIM to johnny6 Send a message via Yahoo to johnny6 Send a message via Skype™ to johnny6
Are you sure the water isn't leaking from somewhere else?
Old 03-27-2010, 10:35 PM   #3

Yeah sorry it was so long getting back, the car is at home. But i jumped under the car today and checked it out and it really does not appear to be coming from anywhere eles. you can see the water kind of boiling out from were the hose is on the fitting to the water pump. it isnt drip fast at all but, i think I'm going to break down and try and replace the hose but i was really trying to keep from doing that, it looks like a b**** to get to connections at the fire wall. I dont know why i cant get it to stop leaking or even if a new hose will fix it. Im stumped
Old 03-28-2010, 07:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss2000ss View Post
Yeah sorry it was so long getting back, the car is at home. But i jumped under the car today and checked it out and it really does not appear to be coming from anywhere eles. you can see the water kind of boiling out from were the hose is on the fitting to the water pump. it isnt drip fast at all but, i think I'm going to break down and try and replace the hose but i was really trying to keep from doing that, it looks like a b**** to get to connections at the fire wall. I dont know why i cant get it to stop leaking or even if a new hose will fix it. Im stumped
The hose has probably delaminated and is leaking up stream from the clamp through the cloth fibers between the layers.
AL SS590 M6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:53 PM   #5

okay so you think its probably time to just change the whole hose
Old 04-09-2010, 06:09 AM   #6
01Z

I'm still reeling from the "$800" to replace the water pump part - daaamn!
I'd be a just little suspicious of the pump housing cast where the hose clamps up.

I hate to even mention this but since you remarked on how difficult it is to replace that hose - what I would try is to find a convenient spot on the heater hose, cut and insert a good length of snug fitting copper tube and splice in a short section of hose to the pump. Clamp it all up and see if the new section fixes the leak. If it does then I'd make plans to replace the entire length of hose. I know this all sounds very backyard but I've been poor most of life.
01Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:37 PM   #7

Thanks for the idea, I actually had to end up taking it to a shop becuase of a rear pinion bushing replace and they said the new water pump was bad. So i guess i get to try all of it over again.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:37 PM

Reply Post New Thread

Tags
water pump