LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

want to fix up my SS. HELP ME!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2003, 11:02 AM

Unhappy want to fix up my SS. HELP ME!!!

hey everyone! i just got a 01 SS. ive never had an LS1 before. and i have no friends that do. can you guys give me some ideas for some good mods to do? thanx. also, the car is white w/ a tan conv. top. very plain. anyone have ideas for stripes or anything like that?
Old 03-21-2003, 11:31 AM

A search would really give you a lot of good info.

Depends on your budget. I'd start with a lid, shifter and SFC's (subframe connectors). Then maybe better tires, longtubes, catback, iron 422ci block with a huge turbo.
Old 03-21-2003, 11:32 AM

first 2 mods are a lid and cat back depending on what you already have after that a pulley maybe some sticky tires then move on to headers y pipe then intake then cam.... depending on what your future goals are.
Old 03-21-2003, 01:10 PM
Banned

do a lid and cutout.....

and some free mods

check out www.installuniversity.com
www.ls1howto.com
and ls1.com and clickthe mods section

that should be a good start
Old 03-21-2003, 01:49 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally posted by stik6shift98
www.ls1howto.com
Whoah! That is a NICE site...lots of good info. Never saw it before. Thanks for mentioning it!
Old 03-21-2003, 05:35 PM

I am a newbie too. The first thing I am going to do is install the loudmouth exhaust that came in today from FTFORCE.com. I have to make an entrance! Then the intake, so the car can finally breathe. After that, it is still in the air. Any other suggestions?
-jes
Old 03-21-2003, 07:06 PM

Dannnnnng! I love convertible SS's. But then again I'm more than a little partial to them (obviously). Don't worry about the subframe connectors right away. I agree that on a coupe they are needed. But the convertible already has a huge hunk of steel already added to stiffen it up from the factory.

1) Strut Tower Brace - < $100 - 30 minutes.
2) Lowering Springs - $200 - $1,000 depending on which way you go.
2.a) When lowering, get an adjustable Panhard Bar with rod ends.
2.b) When lowering it's a good idea to replace the shocks. Bilsteins are very popular.
3) Airbox Lid - $90 - 10 minutes. Get a cheap one. They are just as good as the high$ ones.
4) Free Ram Air Mod (look at www.installuniverstity.com for details).
5) Sway bars - depending on whether or not you want better handling.
6) Long Tube Headers.
7) Reprogram the PCM (computer).
8) Polish it up and come see me. I want a ride. I'll give you one in mine too.
Old 03-22-2003, 11:31 AM

I have not seen 1 free mod that I can wholeheartedly say would be worth the effort alone...

The FRA has a misleading name.. RAM AIR should only be used when the air is in fact RAMMING into the INTAKE with force great enough to create pressure..

Simply opening up more of the filter element does sound like a good idea in theory but I have yet to see any gain at the track.

As for CAGS and whatnot, again, no sense in adding what isnt needed..

I always suggest tires first if you are going to put the car on the track.. traction first.. then worry about power..

If you just want more power... Lid.. almost 10rwhp gain.. Keep using the paper filters.. read why in my review in sig.. paper is better than K&N and the others for power..
Do note that a LID does make your car louder.

Catback.. everyone says catback.. why? I think its almost another 10rwhp that you can gain with the RIGHT catback.. but to me.. the $ doesnt seem worth the end result..

I like adding suspension mods but only when they are going to be used.. having a car full of mods that never uses them seems wasteful in my eyes.

I suggest that if you are in search of power.. Get a dyno run now so you have a baseline.. then factor in the cost of dyno sessions after every mod so you can see if you are making progress.. if you add a part and gain good.. add another and lose.. then you know you either have something wrong or the part was worthless..

JMO.. good luck... and yes I am the one that goes against what most people do but I am not a lemming....