LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

upgraded to a ls1...a couple of questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2003, 01:00 AM

upgraded to a ls1...a couple of questions

well, i sold my 97SS last fall, and just recently purchased a 2001 SOM SS.

well, i have been out of it, and need a refresher on what i should do for my basic mods.

my plans are to do the lid, and longtubes. is the mti lid the best way to go, or do you recommend somthing else. im sure everyone is partial to what they have, but i want to know if there is a good concensus of a goodone out there.

as far as long tubes, what do i need as in the total package to get. i know in my lt1, i needed a y-pipe, sims and had 2 bungs, and all that, is the ls1 the same??
what brand do you recommend for price and performance. i have personally heard the slp and i loved the sound. but that was iwth the loudmouth.

i have the centermount exhaust, so obviously i am gonna keep it, but is there a better long tube header to go with?

whatelse is there to do, without getting to drastic. i did a ton of sh*t to my lt1, so i dont wanna go down that road...well atleast not yet..i wanna enjoy the car as much as i can!!!

thanks
dave
Old 03-19-2003, 07:39 AM

Thumbs up

Congrats on your purchase!

Can't help you much on the longtubes, but the lid issue is pretty much the same than in LT1 CAI's: they all flow pretty much the same.

I got my car less than 2 weeks ago, so I haven't bought one yet, but I am most likely going with the SLP lid and CAI.

SFC's, STB and other suspension mods will be helpful, too. Depending what your goals are, of course.

I haven't really checked yet, but I'm sure there are a bunch of free mods you can do, too, just like with LT1. Just keep on searching.

Later!

TS
Old 03-19-2003, 08:00 AM

Lids are all the same, i'd go DMS since they're only $80.

I'd reccommend jet hot long tubes, $509 coated, can't beat that. You'll need simms, and *may* need O2 extensions.
Old 03-19-2003, 09:14 AM
Banned

a lids a lid in my opinion.....

and headers u should defintly get flps
theyr are a lil pricey but well worth it...

slps headers hang too low and youll be grounding out everywhere if you arent careful....my buddy has them and he complains how low they hang......
Old 03-19-2003, 12:26 PM

I went with the FLP Lt's and i love em and they gave the car a really noticable power gain well to me altleast. But if your lookin for cheaper pair go with like MAC's or Jet Hot.
Old 03-19-2003, 12:53 PM

thanks for the reply's

kinda answered some of the questions.

any other ideas??
Old 03-19-2003, 01:19 PM

Like said, lids are pretty much the same.

You'll need O2 sims and more than likely o2 extentions.

As for the actual headers, you'll see about the same gains from any LT header. It just comes down to money and preference.

SLPs hang lower than most. Some FLPs bang the floorboard or something. Some Jet Hotts don't fit right. Hooker had quality problems a while back. The list can go on about the negatives of each one, but they are definatly worth it.
Old 03-19-2003, 01:32 PM

As for a lid. They're all the same despite what anyone says. Just find the cheapest one and buy it. I bought MTI's black lid cuz they had a special on them for $80 at the time.

As for headers, I was previously thinking about getting Hooker LT's, as they're supposedly really good, and not too pricey. A friend of mine just got in his FLP headers though, and damn, I'm for sure getting those as soon as I have the money. They're twice the price of the Hookers, but include the y-pipe as well, and the feature interchangable ORY/cutout/cats. That alone is enough for me to buy them. I definitely want the ORY pipe for normal driving, then the cutouts for the dragstrip, and cats for passing inspection
Old 03-19-2003, 02:16 PM

I have hooker's. I paid $350 for them black painted w/ simms. I stripped them down and ceramic coated them myself, and sold the simms since i have LS1 Edit. I bought them b/c they were cheap, but the install was not hard, if anything they tuck up too high. The wanted to band the floorboard, but glueing a little rubber to the floorboard took care of that.
Old 03-19-2003, 03:56 PM

DAMN you Dave, hop your butt on AOL tonght and ask me. i was just talking to you last night.....you know i got the answers (to make you slower than me

Jerry
Old 03-20-2003, 12:26 AM

All I have to say is that is a nice car you have now. The other Camaro was nice too.

Good Luck Man.
Old 03-20-2003, 02:08 AM

Originally posted by Sax1031
All I have to say is that is a nice car you have now. The other Camaro was nice too.

Good Luck Man.
sax...thats for the comment man, i really appreciate it!!

jerry, i will hollar at you.

im really thinking slp's, but then again, i will have to see what the best one for a reasonable price.

dave