LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Tune up questions and Gears

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 07:52 PM

Post Tune up questions and Gears

I had another post going but went way off topic. Im over 150 k and have no idea whats been done to my "new" car before that. it just ran 14.3 at the track and I feel needs a good tune up. doesn anyone have a list or ideas of things I should check and look for? The car came with alot of underbody rust and seems to have its own set of issues that have probably been ignored. I wanna keep the car forever as an on going project so Im not worried about replacing things that need it.

Gears. I wanna get 3.73's because ive heard alot of good things about them and my recent replaced bent axle reveled a need for new ones due to alot of grinding. does anyone know exactly what i will need. I have the stock 98 z rear end. 2.73 in it now with posi and trac control etc. I found come on ebay but dont wanna buy something that wont work. also does anyone know how to upgrade the high stall converter? Ive seem alot of people talk about that and wanted to know if i could do that myself with the gears. Thanks

GM 7.5 7 5/8 Posi 10 bolt 28 Spline gov lok eaton 3.73 Gears 4x4 s-10 drag lsd | eBay
Old 05-28-2012, 08:58 PM

Re: Tune up questions and Gears

Have gears gone up that much?? I used to pay that for new GM gears.

I would never buy used anything from Ebay. and expecially gears.

Are you good with changing them out and setting them up so they will both work and be quiet?

Perry
Old 05-28-2012, 11:10 PM

more then likely i would have the dealership do it. my dad works there and can get them put in for like 100. And i have bought alot of stuff off ebay and have been very happy with 99 percent of the stuff. but if not off ebay any ideas for good deals on this stuff?
Old 05-29-2012, 01:16 PM

Why not use your Dad's discount and buy it from GM?
Old 05-29-2012, 04:38 PM

14.3 sounds about right for your car. I had a 99 Camaro that ran 14.1 and my 02 Firehawk ran a 13.8 fully stock. Those gears definitely slow you down at the track.

Definitely get gears. If you drive the car a lot I would stick to 3.42's if your car is an auto, 3.73's will really start winding out on the highway. Definitely buy new ones too. It will cost around $600-$700 for gears, bearings, and installation. You will have to get your speedo re-calibrated too. Also, I wouldn't do the gears yourself. It is a real art to getting them set up right. I rebuild my own motors but still go to a pro for gear setup.

A stall is a great first mod. I wouldn't go higher than 3600 for mostly stock, although many people do and don't complain.

-Geoff
Old 06-03-2012, 09:01 PM

Whitehawk thanks alot for your insight. I do cruise ALOT on the highway spd limit 60-70 i do 80 more then i should. how much would that put me at for rpms? I wanna run it about where i would be at and see if im okay with it or not. and what would be a bad rpm to have it at for a long time? 3.5k an above?

For the stall is that something i should do myself? I consider myself a pretty good mechanic and have worked on alot of stuff but am at a loss for that part, purpose, instal etc

Thanks again
Old 06-04-2012, 11:06 AM

It will just kill your mileage to drive at high RPM, not really hurt the car. I don't think it will get to 3500, but maybe 3000. My car with 3.23 runs in the low 2000 range. You can find gear ratio calculators online that will do the RPM calculations. You just need tire size, final drive ratio.

As far as convertor, you just have to unbolt it from the flywheel, then remove the transmission from the car. It will slide right off the input shaft. Dropping the trans is the hard part. I did a convertor swap on a Grand National on my garage floor once and it sucked. I would get someone to do it unless you have a hoist and a trans jack.

-Geoff