LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Lt Headers Decision: Which Would You Go With?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2002, 12:34 AM

Question Lt Headers Decision: Which Would You Go With?

Tuff Decision: Long Tube Headers, can't decide which set is best...
Now that I've done deeper research on all the LT Headers available for the LS1 f-body, I'm greatly disappointed.

Turns out all have negatives about them. This is the information I've gathered...

SLP LT Headers: Popular purchase, however the biggest pain in the *** to install. One said that you actually need to move the motor on one side to properly install them. They're also known to hang too low for comfort.

Hooker LT Headers: Known lately for having quality control issues. Who wants to take that chance? Plus Y-Pipes available for them supposedly have fitment issues.

FLP LT Headers: Supposed to be superb quality wise. Then I discovered that my friend has them on his 2001 TransAm. He told me that he wishes he never bought them. I asked him why? His response: they're rusting already and there is banging. He told me to go with Gothans or Grotsans or something...dunno.

I don't know which to choose now. I heard something about JetHots. Do they only coat headers or do they actually sell their own set? Can somebody give me a brief description of each set of headers and tell the known negatives about each.

I want the set that has the least amount of known fitment issues, with the best known quality control. Lets assume that money isn't an issue.

Which of the bunch is the most desirable? If you could get a free set, which would you choose honestly????Consider everything, installation, fitment, build quality, potential problems, etc.

Thanks. I'm sorry, just can't decide which to save for.
Old 11-30-2002, 01:01 AM

Wink

I have FLP LT's on my WS6 & I love them. Great fit, no banging, no problems. The coating at the bottom of the collectors on every LT I've seen after some time starts to come off from rocks, road debris etc. Otherwise the coating is great. They are great headers power wise & are top end all the way. I had at one point SLP LT's on my SS & they are well made but power wise they're made for the stock cam. After that you won't make as much power as other LT's because they're "tuned" which in this case is not good. Plus they hang down way too low. On a lowered car FLP's are the way to go. The new Grotts are very good too. Either way you can't go wrong. Hookers have some quality issues & I'd stay away. Jet Hot just released some new headers but they're too new to know anything about them.
Old 11-30-2002, 01:11 AM

Qtp just finished there new headers and they look bad a$$ Barry always has great products i'd say check them out.
http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/headers.htm
http://forum.f-bodyhideout.com/viewtopic.php?t=8725
Old 11-30-2002, 04:15 AM

i think the jet hot coated headers, are hookers with their coatings. You should look into TTS longtubes, they are awsome but rare, oh and they don't make grotohan headers anymore, i think.
Old 11-30-2002, 08:32 AM

Question OMG, now I'm really confused...

http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/...displaymed.jpg

QTP.com......
You want the best long tube header? The longest long tube header on the market. The only equal length header. No clearance issues. The highest flowing header. Choose from 1 3/4" or 1 7/8". Both have 3" collectors. Ceramic coated inside and out. Emissions style or race style.

God this is such a tuff decision...please help. What about those Grotahans, where can I find them, website? What do you think about the QTP Set???

=============================================

Man now I really don't know which set to choose. The QTP look beautiful as well. I just want the best possible set, which the least amount of problems or potential problems.

Last edited by Mystery Z28; 11-30-2002 at 08:34 AM.
Old 11-30-2002, 10:26 AM

The new QTP headers along with the new Thunder Racing headers etc are all made by the same company & are the new Grotts. They are very nice headers along with FLP & TTS. Either way you really can't go wrong.
Old 11-30-2002, 06:57 PM

Originally posted by redz_02
i think the jet hot coated headers, are hookers with their coatings. You should look into TTS longtubes, they are awsome but rare, oh and they don't make grotohan headers anymore, i think.
the new Jet Hot headers aren't just hookers with the Jet Hot coating. Jet Hot had been selling the hookers coated, but now they are making their own headers. Very similar in design to the hookers but with improvements in the design, and with better quality control. I've ordered a set of the Jet Hots, they seem like the best bang for the buck and also have good clearance for lowered cars like the Hookers did.
Old 12-01-2002, 12:21 AM

Hey Sunset, yet another question for ya. I recently went with the FLP's, they aren't in yet till the spring. You mention some points that I'm not aware of. "Tuned", can you shed some light on this for me? Thanks again,

Sleeper
Old 12-01-2002, 01:00 AM

"tuned" headers are per-cylinder matched to the exit of the exhaust at the collecter so you get pulses.....which implies better exhaust flow, pulling the air out of the cylinder. hope this makes sense

--though i never knew that "tuned" headers would proove to be a power loss for an upgraded cam....... someone that knows correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that is BS.

Last edited by 2k2z28; 12-01-2002 at 01:08 AM.
Old 12-01-2002, 01:01 AM

...are FLP's tuned?
Old 12-01-2002, 01:05 AM

I am not sure.. I found a picture online fo them, and the tubes don't look to be length matched to me, but I could be wrong, hard to tell from a picture..
Old 12-01-2002, 10:05 AM

Oh wow, if I had a choice, I'd go with TTS headers. Back to reality where I have no money, I'll be going with the Jet Hots more than likely.

edit: Just looked at the QTP's and they look very nice. I wish that price included their Y pipe too. Yeah I'm cheap

Last edited by jd13; 12-01-2002 at 10:28 AM.
Old 12-01-2002, 10:09 AM

Question QTP LT Headers, very much interested...

http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/headers.htm

I'm finding myself very much interested in the Quick Time Performance Long Tube Headers. Does anyone have them installed on their car yet, or know anyone who does? How long do you think it would take to order them or any other LT header set?

I'm also interested in the JetHot LT set as well but I can't find their personal set on their very own website. Anyone have the link? And also, how long with it take to get them from JetHot?

Which do you think is of better build quality between the two? Any potential problems?

Now its between QTP and JetHot...narrowed it down a bit...

Thanks.
Old 12-01-2002, 10:34 AM

If money isn't an issue, I'd go with the QTPs. But for $200 less you can get the JetHots. With that left over money you can get a y-pipe. So basically you can have headers from Jet Hot and a y-pipe for the same price as just the headers from QTP. Go with the QTPs and add in the y-pipe and you're around $1k.

With either set you will see very nice gains. I think it's just personal preference. But the more I think about, the more I want to save up for the QTPs.
Old 12-01-2002, 10:58 AM

Cool I intend to buy the whole package...

Originally posted by jd13
If money isn't an issue, I'd go with the QTPs. But for $200 less you can get the JetHots. With that left over money you can get a y-pipe. So basically you can have headers from Jet Hot and a y-pipe for the same price as just the headers from QTP. Go with the QTPs and add in the y-pipe and you're around $1k.

With either set you will see very nice gains. I think it's just personal preference. But the more I think about, the more I want to save up for the QTPs.
Well when I'm ready to order, that is when I save enough money, I'm going to order the whole package, not just the headers. Right now I'm leaning towards the QTP set. Just need to do a little research on them.

This is the way I look at it, I'd rather save my money and wait for the best then half a*s and spend almost as much and buy a lesser product. In the long run, you'll be happier with your car. If I don't have the money, I just wait till I do.

Right now, I don't have the money, cause I just recently sent a lot of money in money orders for a set of 17 X 9.5 Simmons FR-Series 3-Piece wheels, with charcoal gray centers. I could have saved a lot of money and bought OEM SS package or Z06 wheels but I really wanted the Simmons.

Quick Reply: Lt Headers Decision: Which Would You Go With?