Welcome to Camaro Z28!

Welcome to CamaroZ28.Com, the ultimate Source for Camaro enthusiasts! Here you can join over 90,000 Camaro enthusiasts from around the world discussing all things related to Camaros and more. You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions

To gain full access to our forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in over 40 different forums and search/browse from over 5 million posts.
  • Upload your Camaro details to your Garage
  • Post photos, respond to polls and access other special features
  • Gain access to our free marketplace to buy, sell and trade Camaros, parts and more.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so join our community today today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Go Back   CamaroZ28.Com Message Board > 1967-2002 Powertrain Discussion > LS1 Based Engine Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Reply Post New Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-20-2013, 09:53 AM   #1

Garage
Subframe Connectors? Whats the real deal..

So I have found several posts and sites that mention that subframe connectors should have been added from the factory, the articles are some what freighting some say that the body could twist. I like taking turns pretty fast, so I hope I haven't already f**** up the body! Should I really listen to those concerns and install SFC? Any ideas and insight would help, thanks!
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on CamaroZ28.com!
6-Speed
dirtgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:24 AM   #2

Re: Subframe Connectors? Whats the real deal..

Definitely install them, and a strut tower brace. The difference will be night and day!
94Zee28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:43 AM   #3

Garage

Ok will do, I guess thats my next mod lol. Also there are different styles which do you recommend? Sorry with about all the questions.
6-Speed
Old 06-20-2013, 12:02 PM   #4

there even more needed in a convertible. when i first drove down the road and hit a bump my car would rock like a boat. now with SFC it goes straight with NO rocking. i have one tiny dimple on my rear right quarter from pre-sfc twisting. check your rear right quarter in the sunlight & you'll see. by firming up the frame more power ends up at the wheels / better traction (something like that). mine are welded, some people have bolt ons. i went with BMR.
99 Z28 vert "florida" orange , acquired 9-03 A4, slp lid & cai, safety loop, bmr sfc, lca's & panh, edelbrock rpm catback w/chrome stock tips. ls6 heads & cam & intake, 80mm tb, jet hot LT's, drm tune. gforce comp 2's. newly added slp 85mm maf, ud pulley, alum ds.

Last edited by DANOZ28; 06-20-2013 at 12:05 PM.
DANOZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:31 PM   #5

I also have the weld in's, I think BMR, just a tubular design, like these

1993 - 2002 F-Body | Sub Frame Connectors | SFC004 - Subframe Connectors, Weld-on, Tubular, Non-convertible Only | BMR Suspension - The Leader in High Performance Suspension & Chassis
94Zee28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:04 PM   #6

Garage

I agree with 94z's post above. I have UMI weld ins, and a hotchkis STB. The difference is VERY noticeable. I point the steering, and it goes exactly where I aim it with no noticeable body roll. Go for it!
1995 Z28 M6 Swapped, 3.73 Gears, LS brakes w/slotted rotors & Hawk pads, Pro 5.0 shifter, GMPP CAI, BBK Shorties, LT4 KM, LT4 Hotcam, Crane Race gold 1.6 rr's, 160 T-stat, Magnaflow stainless axle-back, TPiS Aluminum Driveshaft, MSD Blaster 2 and 6AL, BMR tubular LCA's, panhard, adj. TQ arm with BMR trans X-member, Hotchkis STB, UMI SFC's, 52mm Holley
jloshotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:21 AM   #7

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloshotz View Post
I agree with 94z's post above. I have UMI weld ins, and a hotchkis STB. The difference is VERY noticeable. I point the steering, and it goes exactly where I aim it with no noticeable body roll. Go for it!
Good deal Im going to go for SFC and get them weld on and I will also get a strut tower. Im trying very hard to avoid the infamous quarter panel dimples.
Thanks for all the input, also do you guys think that a regular welding shop can weld them on?

Gary
6-Speed
Old 06-24-2013, 11:47 AM   #8

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtgar View Post
Good deal Im going to go for SFC and get them weld on and I will also get a strut tower. Im trying very hard to avoid the infamous quarter panel dimples.
Thanks for all the input, also do you guys think that a regular welding shop can weld them on?

Gary
Anyone who knows how to weld can easily do these, iirc, you remove the LCA bolt and install the rear side of the SFC'S, leaving the bolts loose. Then with the full weight of the vehicle on all four wheels, (as would be on a drive on, 4 post lift) you weld the front up to the front frame rails. Tighten LCA bolts, find cloverleaf off ramps
1995 Z28 M6 Swapped, 3.73 Gears, LS brakes w/slotted rotors & Hawk pads, Pro 5.0 shifter, GMPP CAI, BBK Shorties, LT4 KM, LT4 Hotcam, Crane Race gold 1.6 rr's, 160 T-stat, Magnaflow stainless axle-back, TPiS Aluminum Driveshaft, MSD Blaster 2 and 6AL, BMR tubular LCA's, panhard, adj. TQ arm with BMR trans X-member, Hotchkis STB, UMI SFC's, 52mm Holley
jloshotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:47 AM

Reply Post New Thread