LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Stupid Oil Change Question for Novice

Old 03-21-2003, 08:41 PM

Stupid Oil Change Question for Novice

HI!
Looking to finally change my oil myself this time. Is there any place on the web that you would recommend for a good step-by-step directions for a 2001 Camaro or do any of you guys feel like sharing your process? I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but this is the first time I'm attempting this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 03-21-2003, 09:14 PM

Ok..do you have a jack and jack stands? Cuase its what I recommend using.. I have a profesional series Craftsman floor jack.. the kind that weights too much too carry... well almost.. its damn heavy.. and the mega jacks.. You can get a deal on it for about $100 at sears (normally $130)..

Anyways, I jack up the car, set the jackstands get my drain bucket.. on the LS1 the oil filter is super easy as it is hanging straight up and down and is near the drain plug..

I normally have had the car running so its hot but I would suggest at least warming it up if hot oil and engine are not your thing..
Remove the oil drain plug..
Once the oil drains I remove the oil filter...
I fill my oil filter with oil and lube the seals and threads.
Clean the oil filter part on the engine and then install the oil filter..
I then clean the area around the drain plug and the plug and install it.

Lower the car and fill with the right amount of oil..

DONE..
Old 03-21-2003, 09:16 PM

it's easy, put the car up on ramps, undo the oil pan bolt with a 15mm socket, let that drain into a bucket, then unjscrew the oil filter, put a new filter on... being sure to fill up the filter with oil and put some oil around the subber seal (so it's easier to get off next time) ... if it's your first oil change it may be really hard to get the filter off and you may need to go buy a oil filter wrench to get it off. The LS1 filters are hard to get a REALLY good grip on if it is on tight. then just screw the filter back on, not TOO tight, same with the bolt. then fill it up with about 5 quarts of your favorite oil (I'd recommend 10W30 Mobil 1, or 5W30 if you live where it's really really cold often)

for more info and pictures, go to www.installuniversity.com and they have a guide for changing your oil.
Old 03-21-2003, 09:18 PM

Basically look under your car.
Explore, look for your oil filter (It will be noticeable, it should be black, yellow, or white). Once you find that, the oil drain plug should be right near it. This plug is 15mm in diameter. I HIGHLY recommend you buy a chain oil wrench. If this is your first time, most likely it will be on so tight you won't be able to get it off. Once you know where those two are, then here ya go:

1) Get your catch pan. Make sure you are turning the oil drain plug counter-clockwise. I change my oil when my engine is warm, so it flows out easier. I wear a latex glove, and over that, a baseball glove.

2) Keep turning counter-clockwise until you get it off. I recommend you hold on to the oil drain plug while you are un-screwing it, so you won't have to dig through the dirty oil for it.
Draining the oil is the most time-consuming part. I suggest waiting 15-30 mins, to get the oil completely out. Wait until the draining gets to the point where its just dripping lightly.

3) Replace oil plug. Don't overtighten, or it will be a big pain to get it out next oil change.

4) Now remember that oil filter? Its time to remove that. Position your catch pan under that, because there will be oil inside. Easiest way, is to puncture under the oil filter.
IMPORTANT!Make sure you can remove the oil filter before puncturing a hole in it. If you do so beforehand, and can't remove the filter, then you can't drive the car.

Get your oil wrench, and turn it counter-clockwise, once its loose enough, just start twisting it with your hands, be very gentle, you don't want it falling into the pan, and the oil splashing all over the place!

5) Get your new oil, and your new oil filter. Fill the oil filter with fresh oil, and lubricate the rubber part of the oil filter, by putting a dab of oil on your fingertip, and rubbing it on the outer rubber of the oil filter. Now install the oil filter. I just hand-tighten mine so its easier to get out, but that oil wrench will save you lots of time!

6) You are done under the car. Now fill your car up with motor oil. Heres what I do on this step: I fill it 5 qts. Then I get the dipstick, and see if I need more. If so, i add .5 qts. This varies with vehicle, and whether or not the vehicle is resting on a flat surface.

7) Once you are done with step 6, go inside the car. You know that button that lets you reset the TRIP portion of the odometer? Hold that button in, until you see the "Oil Change" light (Im not sure if the light is called Oil Change, it should be similar to it though)blink. After you see that, stop pressing on that button.

You are done! If you have any questions, don't hesitate to drop me a PM, or an e-mail: SpecForceUS@yahoo.com

This is a very easy process.
Old 03-21-2003, 09:22 PM

Before you drain your oil, remove the oil fill cap and the dipstick. This is supposed to make the oil drain out just a little bit faster.
Old 03-21-2003, 09:48 PM

Thanks a lot for the help...I really do appreciate it.

Have a good weekend everybody
Old 03-21-2003, 10:43 PM

What they all said... plus

when you put the new filter on, turn it clockwise until the rubber seal just touches the mating surface on the engine. Then turn it 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn farther.

Be sure to select a quality filter too. Don't use FRAM. You can spend high $'s and get a Mobil1 or Amsoil filter. But the AC Delco filters are very good too. And they are cheap. I think the one I use is a PF59. It's not the stock filter. It's listed for a Cadillac Escalade 6.0. Others use a PF58 filter listed for the 4.8 & 5.3 Silverado motors. Both are the same dimensions externally and are a little longer than the stock filter. That gives more internal filter element surface area for better flow and filtering efficiency. The PF59 has a different valve on the inside that's supposed to help with noisy startups.

By using a synthetic oil, you can go longer between changes too.

For all oil questions, the website to consult is:
www.bobistheoilguy.com
There is an in depth comparison of many many filter brands that they did. Lots of great information on that site. A lot of info about synthetics and such too.
Old 03-22-2003, 03:46 AM

I use K&N oil filters and mobil one oil
use the oil with the red cap, that's the performance one.

I change the oil every 5,000 and the filter every 3,000
Old 03-22-2003, 08:04 PM

One thing, don't center the drain pan right under the plug, the oil wil shoot out about a foot out of the side of the oil pan once you remove the plug.