LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

some LS1 questions

Old 04-01-2003, 11:19 AM

some LS1 questions

Maybe late next year or the year after I plan to get a 02, probibly a SS, but from what everyone is telling me it is hi maintance. I do everything myself on my V6, the LS1 looks like it is so tight, is it possible to change your own oil or find spark plugs?

I hurd that they burn a little oil too, is it just something that is normal, ir does that go along with being beat?

and finaly, this doesent apply to me cuz I want the SS but with the 2:73 gears, I hurd that you cant put the shifter in 1st, why is that? 2:73 doesent have the direct torque that the 3:23 has so if anything shouldnt the 3:23 be the one that is limited?

I want a M6 this time but that was just a question I had, is the skip shift really intrusive? is it a must to get rid of it?

My V6 has been the most reliable car I have ever had to date, 23,000 miles and I havent done anything other then change oil. so I am a little timid to trade in such a dependable ride

~chris
Old 04-01-2003, 11:26 AM

You cant get a SS with 2.73 gears. They do not exist.

some years wouldnt let you go to 1st. Why? because people are stupid and would put the car in 1st at way to high of a RPM. Stupid safty feature are the direct result of stupid people
you cant truely manually shift the 4l60e anyway.
Old 04-01-2003, 11:34 AM

Yes you can change the oil and find the spark plugs.

Oil is super easy to change.. take me less than 20 mins to do it.

And I think you meant change the spark plugs.. but if you just want to find them look on the side of the engine and follow the spark plug wires.. hehe.
Old 04-01-2003, 11:51 AM

The LS1's are much eaiser to do a plug change on compared to the LT1's, you can get them all from the top. I've never heard of them having maintenence issues, i've been on spray and boost w/ out problems like that.
Old 04-01-2003, 12:12 PM

Re: some LS1 questions

Originally posted by Chrisz24
My V6 has been the most reliable car I have ever had to date, 23,000 miles and I havent done anything other then change oil. so I am a little timid to trade in such a dependable ride
Same here Bud..I had thoughts of trading(gettin ripped) but b/c of what you've mentioned I KEPT IT. And bought a LS1 anyway they sit side x side in the garage.Thats my advise or what I did.Coarse I have income to support that kinda decission.
But I love the LS1 Z those are trivial little probs. you've been hearing these cars rock man I'd get one even if I had to trade after drivin one...go drive one beware you'll get hooked it will consume your thoughts till you forget all about the 6 banger
Old 04-01-2003, 12:31 PM

The LS1 isn't any worse than any other high performance V8.

The oil change is a breeze and I could do it in 10 minutes, except for the fact that I let the pan drain for about 30 - 45 minutes when I do the change (I open the drain and then go inside to eat lunch. When I come back out, I finish up)

Spark plugs? They can be a pain. #8 is the hardest one, but you can get to it from the top if you move a few things, or you can get to it from the bottom without moving anything if you have the right connections on your socket wrench.

Oil burning? Yeah, some had an oil consumption problem, but for the most part, it's less than a quart per 1,000 miles. If it's really bad, there is a piston ring swap that should fix it.

You'll forget about all these little things as soon as you hit WOT in an LS1 powered car.
Old 04-01-2003, 01:01 PM

Oil change... no problem. Just let the motor cool off enough because the passage leading to the filter contains extra oil. No way to change it without getting a little on your hands. Simple to get to though... heck its notched nicely into the oil pan. One thing I have always worried about is the filters proximity to the cats.. Waaay hot cat+ oil filter a bad idea? I dunno... Maybe one someone can help me out with that.

Plug change? Havent yet. Probably going to this spring, but it doesnt look too bad at all. My memory may be a little fuzzy but it doesnt look any worse than the 3.4 in my buddies 95.
Oil consumption? Mine had a little problem (1qt during the first 3-6k) upon break in, but now she consumes nary a drop. One thing they are prone to do is consume oil if you use synthetics and let the engine braking slow you down from high revs. This causes the oil ring to flutter and the superthin synthetic to squeak past. no biggie really. I do smell it on occasion during startup, but we all know that with the dissimilar metals in the engine, until its warm things arent going to be quite perfect.
Owners manual says put in 5.5 qts. I put in 6, 6.5 if I am autocrossing and the oil is not draining to the pan as quickly.

I love my LS1 and it has been hassle free through a rough 22000 miles. (20 passes on the strip, 20 autocross events -> thats 160 runs) and she loves it. I havent even warped the rotors yet
Old 04-01-2003, 02:53 PM

Yeah LS1s all seem to burn a little more oil than usual from the factory, even ones that aren't beat. I would definitely get a manual this time Chris, with a V8 I think you might have more fun.
Old 04-01-2003, 07:26 PM

Originally posted by Camarocks
Yeah LS1s all seem to burn a little more oil than usual from the factory, even ones that aren't beat. I would definitely get a manual this time Chris, with a V8 I think you might have more fun.
Thats the thing, I really love the V6, it is the best of both worlds, but I think if I had the M5 I would be happier, I always find myself reaching for a clutch and my right hand on the shifter, also I pull up the parking brake when parking, forgeting that I am still in a auto

I will only do this if I can get one nicer then mine, (cd player-leather seats,) and of corce a manual, I am paying the V6 off within the next 2 months and saving what I can, I will only do it if I will have little to no payments.

Is the M6 reliable? I have hurd of sincro like things going, I drive manuals like a grandmother but I will be buying 2nd hand so I am wondering if there is a certin feal that isnt right.

~chris
Old 04-01-2003, 08:51 PM

Originally posted by Chrisz24

Is the M6 reliable? I have hurd of sincro like things going, I drive manuals like a grandmother but I will be buying 2nd hand so I am wondering if there is a certin feal that isnt right.

The T56 is much more reliable than the 4L60E. If you powershift and dump the clutch (which I don't do either of), then yeah you will put some wear on it. It can handle a lot more power than the auto also. However, if you're think of modding for a lot, that might not be good news for your rear.
Old 04-01-2003, 08:59 PM

I got my Z in May 01. It has more than 40K miles on it and I've done nothing but change the oil; same brakes, same clutch, everything (well, except the tires ) The engine compartment isn't bad to get into (considering there's a 350 in there). Haven't had any problems with burning oil, but I do always let it warm up a bit before driving. IMHO it's the best thing I ever bought! Good luck with whatever you end up doing!
Old 04-02-2003, 12:09 AM

I heard the 00-02 or 01-02 T56 trannys arent made by Borg... they went with some other crap. They arent AS reliable as the 98-99.
Old 04-02-2003, 12:38 AM

Originally posted by 35thanniv.SS
I heard the 00-02 or 01-02 T56 trannys arent made by Borg... they went with some other crap. They arent AS reliable as the 98-99.
Well actually from what I have read is the fact that the other T56 is build by Tremec.. From what I have read about the difference between the 2 tranny's is not by much, they both use same shafts, syncros, bearings and gears... except maybe the Tremec T56 is cheaper because of where they are built... I am not too sure but from what I have read is that they both are pretty strong...

My car does not have m6 but my 68 project will get one, but I just wished there was a rebuild kit that included brass syncros instead of the plastic crap...