LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Red Line Oils

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2003, 02:19 PM

Red Line Oils

I went to Reibes today to get some tranny oil and rear end oil. All they had for the tranny is Red Line ATF, is this okay? Then they didn't have any rear end oil. Where could I find some Red Line oils? Thanks
Old 03-29-2003, 02:56 PM

You wont regret it they're great I just did my trans and rear. I got help here and called dealer for correct red line fluids to use in our cars(we have same).
Anyway the dealer says use the Red Line D4 ATF(Dex III equivalent) not the just"ATF" but will work b/c it does equal the Dex II-e. But the D4 ATF is more suited get it.
The rear oil is the staight Red Line 75W90 gear oil.Pretty sure you have same worm gear rear end I have so no additive is needed.No additive is needed even if you have a clutch pack diff. Red Line adds the LSD additive to the straight Red Line 75W90 already.
Find a different store say one that supplies racers,I have one here and they had all of the Red Line product on display. Or just ask the store you found the ATF at to bring in the D4 ATF and 75W90 gear oil you need.
Tony
Old 03-29-2003, 05:00 PM

How do you change the oil in both the tranny and the rear end? Is it hard....easy.... On HPTV they showed a complete oil change on a car and they had some pump to pump in the oil into the tranny and the rear end.
Old 03-29-2003, 05:20 PM

Easy...The drain on the tranny is located passenger side near tail shaft section low use a 3/8"drive rachet w/o a socket. To fill the filler is driver side up higher in center of trans same plug using a 3/8" drive rachet. I got a pump for one qt. applications it fit in the narrow top of the redline bottle pretty easy but redlines threads are different then others so coundnt thread it on but worked.
The rear you'll have to remove the cover,just loosen the bolts and gently pull out the bottom and the fluid will evacuate. leave a few bolts loosened but in place so the whole cover dont just fall off and all fluid at once Whoosh splat. Get a new 10 bolt gasket when getting fluids let all oil drain takes awhile clean a little of the excess out, the magnet and inside cover before reinstalling cover. Make sure mateing surfaces are clean(wipe with gas or a solvent let dry) and no old gasket pieces on cover and diff also before reinstalling cover and gasket.I used a little RVT with mine but the guy said Felpro doesnt need it I did anyway.
Should clean threads of bolts while out too before puttin back in.
Old 03-29-2003, 05:28 PM

btw, you'll need 4qts. of the D4 ATF,and 2 qts 75W90 for rear and the 10 bolt gasket
Old 03-29-2003, 08:12 PM

So am I correct in saying that you fill both the tranny and the rear end up to the bottom of the filler hole? Does the car need to be on a flat surface because I can't get under the car without using ramps.
Old 03-29-2003, 08:55 PM

Yes fill till it starts coming out on both. And I used my floor jack to lift the body up just enough for me to get under.I jacked on driverside when filling trans so if anything the trans had a little extra. Jacked passenger side when draining but after plug removed I relieved the jack to settle the car..In my garage with level floor. The rear end I had enough room w/o jacking did it from back of car.
Old 03-29-2003, 09:05 PM

So nothing is wrong with putting a little extra oil in they tranny? I was thinking of jacking up the driver side, fill up the tranny, lower the car and let all the extra drain out, then jack it back up and put the plug back in. I guess a little extra couldn't hurt.

Is it safe to put a little extra in the rear end?

Also, So I don't need to worry if my diff is limited slip or not? It says I need some additive if I do.
Old 03-29-2003, 10:45 PM

Originally posted by Ferocity02
Also, So I don't need to worry if my diff is limited slip or not? It says I need some additive if I do.
What gear oil did you get? The Red Line 75W90 clearly says on back Contains the additives for Limited Slip Diffs.
Did you get the ONS?If so thats why it says that. If you have a G80 & GU6 RPO code(driver door sticker) you have LSD w/3.42.And most likely the same as mine a Zexel Torson T2 worm gear differentail,either way if you got the gear oil above your covered.
Old 03-30-2003, 07:08 PM

Where did you get your oil man!!! I've called lots of places and none of them carry Red Line oils. I called Reibes, Autozone, Pep Boys, Kragen, a performance motor shop, and a couple other shops and they say they dont have any. Where can I find some without ordering if off the internet?? Thanks
Old 03-31-2003, 12:34 AM

Originally posted by #7
Find a different store say one that supplies racers,I have one here and they had all of the Red Line product on display. Or just ask the store you found the ATF at to bring in the D4 ATF and 75W90 gear oil you need.
Tony