LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Performance exhuast question

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2003, 12:34 AM

Performance exhuast question

Hi everyone,
I think this question would probably have been asked a dozen times on the forum. Anyway I'll keep searching:-)
Which exhaust system would give a very nice increase in power and a very decent sound. And would be easy to fit in.(not having too many complications in it)?

Thought I would ask all you folks who know all about this before deciding on what to buy.

Thanks and Kind Regards
Z28_Onyx

Onyx 2002 Z28
GS-C tires No other modifications done yet;-)
Old 03-20-2003, 12:56 AM

Lol, be more specific.

Do you want a decent priced one, or do you feel like wasting money on a super expensive one? Do you want it LOUD, or just mid-loud?

For over-priced systems that sound good:
Borla - really loud, but depends on what plate is in it
Corsa - not near as loud
GMMG - pretty loud

For decently priced systems that still sound good:
Hooker - not too loud, sounds really sweet w/ longtube headers
Flowmaster - some like the sound, some don't, rasps some
SLP Loudmouth - really loud. some like it, some don't

That's just naming a few...
Old 03-20-2003, 03:02 AM

well like grdlock v6 said, decently priced or real expensive..

besides Loudmouth, the cheapest exhaust and it sounds great and gets just as loud as the LM but less rasp is the Dynomouth.. Edelbrock makes a cat back that is around $ 300 or so.. Dynomax makes a cheap system w/ super turbo..

It took me a while when I did the exhaust on my 02 Z28, so I went with Dynomouth.. ratio411's DM How To . Just to give you some info a head of time, if you are going to add headers and/or ORY Pipe get the 24219 (18" Casing).. With stock Y-pipe, I-Pipe and Stock Manifolds w/ this muffler is a little louder then stock but not much at idle but @ 3K + rpms this bad boy screams REALLY LOUD... Then inside the car is louder especially at cruise rpm but then again the stereo drowns out that.. All in all if you want to keep your stock tips, the muffler will run $ 37 and install will run anywhere from 50 - 250.. Basically since I changed my tips which was around $ 62 on top of the order w/ muffler and $ 95 for install.. which I did get to keep the piece of the I-pipe that was cut out as well as Stock muffler and tips... cost me around $ 200 total.. and it is mellow sounding w/ no rasp...

this is just a suggestion,

charlie
Old 03-20-2003, 08:14 AM

I really like how the GMMG system costs. It's over $600 however as far as I know. It sort of sounds like an old muscle car because it's a chambered exhaust.
Old 03-20-2003, 08:39 AM
Banned

i had the loudmouth and i liked it until i got headers....but now i have borla and am really happy with it....

i would reccommend to go with a borla...u can get a used one for 350
Old 03-20-2003, 01:06 PM

I have FLP LT's with the Hooker exhaust with no cats and it sounds awsome and extremely pissed IMO though, heh but yea borla does sound sweet, and flows just make it sound like a truck IMO again.
Old 03-20-2003, 09:14 PM

I've had a Borla catback for a while now...no complaints. It is a little more money, but it's the last exhaust you'll ever buy. If you watch, you can usually find a good deal...I did back in '01.
Old 03-20-2003, 09:24 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Robs LS1 Z28
, but it's the last exhaust you'll ever buy. .
that is defintly true......im the example of it
Old 03-20-2003, 10:38 PM

Hi everyone,
Wow! Thanks for the replies! That was simply awesome! To answer GrdLockV6's questions, I could take in a bit of cash, I mean of course a decent priced one would do, but I would not mind paying more if it is worth it.
Mid loud is what I am looking for, I heard the sound clips of a borla, flowmaster, loudmouth and corsa. Now the loudmouth was too loud. Flowmaster..I liked the sound the best, because it had a jet engine like whine to it in between all the meaty sound! Borla was OK.
But from the way most of you suggest borla is the way to go.

Thanks a lot for the information. Like I said. I could not be any better.

One more thing..do you know which of these exhaust systems make the engine breathe 'out' easier (in effect adding more power to it!)?

And what exhaust system is the hooker added on to?

I am a total newbie guy so hope you guys will bear with these questions.

Thanks
Old 03-20-2003, 10:50 PM

I think that in the long run you will appreciate the longevity and adjustability of the Borla system. Shop around and you should find a good price. I paid $500 for mine new.

The Flowmaster is probably the most restrictive.
Old 03-21-2003, 02:34 AM

z28_onyx have ya heard the soundclips for the Dynomouth ??

Plus both the Dynomouth and Loudmouth flow @ 2200 + CFM..
Flowmaster flows @ 350 CFM

I am not sure how the Corsa, Borla and GMMG flow but I do know that the LM and DM are the higher flowing exhaust you can get..

I went with the Dynomouth for the fact that it sounds good and flows exceptional.. At first I was going to get a Corsa, then I heard the Loudmouth and I liked how it sounded but when I heard the Dynomouth... I was hooked.. Plus what is really nice about the DM is that it's loudness is controlled by rpms.. 2K - 3K sounds like a truck but not in a bad way though. then @ 3K and above it screams like a Racecar or the better comment that I have heard how the DM sounds in the 3K rpms is Like a 454 Race Boat... but at idle the car idles w/ a Low throaty Rumble that sounds amazingly sweet...
Old 03-21-2003, 02:52 AM

So where can i here a plethera of sound clips of each of these systems??? Also where to buy the DM?? Any sites???

Thanks
Old 03-21-2003, 06:49 AM

buy the Dynomax muffler from Summit, and the exhaust shop will run you a custom y-pipe out the back for your dual tips..my total for muffler and installation was $115...the best $115 ever spent
Old 03-21-2003, 07:18 AM

If you know of an exhaust shop that will fab one for you, go with true duals. You can use whatever mufflers you want, but I would suggest NO mufflers. I have this setup and it sounds awesome on the LS1. Deep and aggressive sounding and loud at WOT. The only catback i've heard that sounds close to the sound of duals is the GMMG, but that is an expensive option. I had my duals put on for $300.....just a suggestion
Old 03-21-2003, 02:16 PM

Originally posted by SS_Thunder
If you know of an exhaust shop that will fab one for you, go with true duals. You can use whatever mufflers you want, but I would suggest NO mufflers. I have this setup and it sounds awesome on the LS1. Deep and aggressive sounding and loud at WOT. The only catback i've heard that sounds close to the sound of duals is the GMMG, but that is an expensive option. I had my duals put on for $300.....just a suggestion
I agree 100%. I recently got the chance to hear an LS1 with the GMMG Chambered Exhaust and FLP LT headers(highflow cats) in person and it sounded a LOT like a true dual set-up. I honestly couldn't tell the difference in tone between the two.

Can't wait to compliment my GMMG with some FLP's in the future.

Mike

2002 M6 Z28

Quick Reply: Performance exhuast question