LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

New Owner Here!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2003, 09:45 AM

Cool New Owner Here!!

Hello everyone, this is my first post ... I just bought a camaro Sunday, My first I am in Phoenix area..

It is a '99' z28 Convertable with the 5.7liter LT engine, 6-speed, Black paint, grey leather int. 30k miles. Its a great upgrade from my 94 Miata! lol

Some things about this car I would like to know is what is the horsepower? I think somewhere between 310-345?
I am still trying to figure out the standard alarm system, owners manual is kind of confusing. Anyone replace that ugly round leather shift ****? I am looking online for something better (any suggestions?) I think the shifter is to long also, am thinking of shortening it ..

I see they offer online a linkage to alter that skip shift from 1st to 4th..is it worth it? Guess i will see when I drive it more.

This looks like a great site where I can learn more about my car,
thanks for any help or suggestions
Old 03-18-2003, 10:00 AM

Thumbs up

Congrats on your purchase!

The engine is LS1, not LTx. 99 LS1 in Z28 is rated at 305hp/335ft.lbs from the factory, but it is a well-known fact that it is pretty much underrated.

Remember to use the wonderful search function we have here and use other websites, too, to get all the info you need.

Again, welcome to the addiction!!!

TS
Old 03-18-2003, 11:57 AM

Welcome aboard! You'll love the power from that LS1 engine. Congrats on the sweet ride.

To shorten the shift handle, you can buy a few aftermarket replacements. www.SpectacleSolutions sells one for around $28, and there are others (Lou's Short Stick comes to mind)

With a drop top, you'll want to consider adding a STB under the hood and a good set of sub-frame connecters underneath. That will really tighten the chassis, decrease body flex, and make the car corner like it's on rails!

Look around, you'll find tons of good info on this and other boards. Might I suggest your first stop? www.InstallUniversity.com

There are a ton of other online resources: www.LS1Tech.com , www.wtfba.org , www.ProjectTransAm.com ... just search the net.

Again, welcome aboard. Glad to have you with us.
Old 03-18-2003, 12:40 PM
Banned

welcome aboard....

if u want thatskip shift i have an extra...
20 shipped....

Old 03-18-2003, 01:03 PM

thanks for the link RnCotton....I like the Lou's short stick....stabilizer bar under the hood sounds like a good idea...any good site for that?
Old 03-18-2003, 01:26 PM

I like BMR's products, good quality and good prices.

www.bmrfabrication.com
Old 03-18-2003, 02:06 PM

Originally posted by 2001NBMZ28
I like BMR's products, good quality and good prices.

www.bmrfabrication.com
Same here, I just got my strut tower brace from them last week and love the way it feels. I'm ordering subframe connectors from them next week. Also, regarding your question about a new shift ****, I have a hurst shift **** from slp online. I couldnt find it on SLP, but here's the same one I have

http://www.lmperformance.com/1845/1.html
Old 03-18-2003, 02:09 PM

HI Eric, I am looking at the strut brace at BMR right now ...looks like a good CHEAP and easy Mod. I might order it today..
Old 03-18-2003, 02:17 PM

about the skip shift...
www.ls1.com offers an inexpensive way of dealing with that if you plan on getting rid of it. just go to the "mods" link on the homepage and then the (!CAGS) or skip shift link. if you feel comfortable doing some really minor work on your car, you can easily do this yourself in under 15 minutes. and for much less than 20 bucks....

welcome to the board. realize the more you read, the more you learn, and yes the search option on the message board is VERY helpful for finding answers to many questions you might have. most general tech. questions have been touched upon sometime in the past...

i realized myself that the more i learn about my car and what its capabilities are, the more i love it...

congrats on the car, and welcome again...
Old 03-18-2003, 02:57 PM

hold off on the skip-shift.. I, myself, never have any issues with it.

I do second the subframes for your car.. I would also state that you should check out some of the site sponsors like thunderracing.com or tbyrne. I always hear excellent service reviews from them. I am partial to Thunderracing as they have always gotten me whatever I ordered quickly.

My advice, is dont buy something for your car just cause everyone else has it.. buy it cause its what you need. I did a could air lid reviews you can read about in my sig below.

Good luck!
Old 03-18-2003, 03:31 PM

just got around to drive my LS1 this weekend.... all i can say is WOW

1999 Camaro SS
Old 03-18-2003, 03:33 PM

IM NOT EVEN SURE IF MINE IS THE SS

I will check when I get home from work!
Old 03-18-2003, 03:43 PM
Banned

nice car gossco
Old 03-18-2003, 03:54 PM

Originally posted by stik6shift98
nice car gossco
thanks... cant mod it much/any ... cuz of the extended warranty... but if anything goes wrong with it we can get it fixed and pay only a fraction of what the total bill would be. Woulda been nice if the car cover woulda came with it ... thats a $160 car cover toO!.... heheh oh well... just gunna have to go buy one =P
Old 03-18-2003, 04:05 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Gossco95
thanks... cant mod it much/any ... cuz of the extended warranty... but if anything goes wrong with it we can get it fixed and pay only a fraction of what the total bill would be. Woulda been nice if the car cover woulda came with it ... thats a $160 car cover toO!.... heheh oh well... just gunna have to go buy one =P
try getting the car cover on here....make a post and im sure all the guys that have em never use em anyway.....that way u will get a good deal

Quick Reply: New Owner Here!!