LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Mods Advice, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 12:17 PM

Mods Advice, HELP!

I don't want to jump the gun as I don't have the 2000 Camaro SS yet. Agreed in principle and it's a matter of paying and picking the car up. Before doing that, I have a question for you out there, curious what people's opinions are:

Looked at this particular 2000 Camaro SS, it looks good, seems to run good and drive well. However, it's been modified with heads and cam and whatnot, but the seller says that the previous owner had these things done 20,000 miles ago and doesn't have the receipts. Says he owned the car since 2006 and the mods were just done then (at about 40,000 miles, there are 60,000 miles now).

The listing says that the car has:

Patriot Stage 2 Heads - can't verify that they are Stage 2 but did see a Patriot stamp on them when the hood was popped.

patriot dual gold valve springs - ?
titanium retainer - ?

texas speed and performance magic stick cam - can tell there is a cam from how it runs/idles, can't verify that it is Magicstick and what specific model without receipts

ls7 lifters - ?

ls2 timing chain - ?

yella terra 1.7 roller rockers - ?

comp hardened pushrods - ?

slp high volume oil pump - ?

slp under drive balancer - ?

slp 1 3/4 long tube headers with off road y pipe - can see with hood popped and from looking underneath even though it wasn't jacked up

qtp eahaust cutout - not worried about it but couldn't see that far under car without it being jacked up

flowmaster cat back - certainly sounded like the good old Flowmaster

tick performance clutch master cylinder,new 02 gm slave,spec stage 3 plus clutch - certainly didn't feel like a stock clutch at all

slp sub frame connectors,spohn rear control arms and panhard rod - couldn't see underneath

c6 corvette wheels, new brakes and drilled and slotted roatars - does have these

So as you can see, I verified some of these things from looking/listening but what about the others? How would you feel about buying something like this with 60,000 miles and no receipts to verify what you exactly have?

Thanks,

John!
Old 05-30-2012, 12:42 PM

Re: Mods Advice, HELP!

Well if your savy about cars and dont mind working on them then no issue going with a built car. Expect some things may need changed out or some minor issues. Most modified cars have some. Although its hard to verify what it has in it, a magic stick is a big cam and thats easy to hear at idle. Just about any big cam in the same class will make close hp and sound similar so even if its not a magic stick, it has a cam and thats ok.

First thing I'd be concerned about with this car is the valve springs.... 20K miles on that cam is gonna wear out valve springs, especially if it was run really hard. If they havent been replaced, thats the first thing I'd do, with Patriot Extreme gold duals not the regular gold duals.

Lastly the tune, hopefully it was tuned professionally and is up to shape. May want to go over the basic maintenance items like plug wire and spark plugs, etc to make sure things are ok there. Look for exhaust leaks.

Just some ideas