LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Metal debris in engine oil filter

Old 07-26-2013, 02:03 AM

Metal debris in engine oil filter

I just had a new stock cam installed in my 2000 z28 as a lobe was damaged in the original cam . I did an oil change after 1k and my filter has extensive metal debris in it . New oil was put in after cam replacement. I am hearing what sounds like a valve train rattling noise after I rev the engine and it winds down to idle. Otherwise it seems to run fine. I will check the new filter in another 500km for filings . I hope there is not more issues inside this engine. Engine replacement maybe ?
Old 07-26-2013, 08:14 AM

Re: Metal debris in engine oil filter

The rattle you are hearing could be something much worse - what you are describing sounds like a rod knock, which means you would need a new shortblock.

When you replaced the cam did you at a minimum replace the lifters and clean out the oilpan? If not, then your new cam is probably ruined too, as well as the shortblock. You might get away with a wiped cam once, but it sounds like this one is a lot worse and has caused some more damage.

-Geoff
Old 07-26-2013, 09:50 AM

GM did the work , they only replaced the one lifter and one rod that serviced the damaged cam lobe. the other rods were checked and reinstalled. They did not mention cleaning the oil pan, so I am assuming not. Before the cam replacement my filter had only speckles of debris, now it has much more . Even the magnetic plug had hair like metal fragments on it. I am wondering if they messed something up in the cam replacement . In any case rather than putting more money into tearing it apart again , maybe I should start looking for a new engine.. Not good. Ken
Old 01-28-2014, 09:03 PM

If GM did the work, you need to take it back to them and they need to make it right. Sounds like they did not take the proper procedures for the work they did, and because of that, they probably circulated metal debris thru your engine causing even more damage. Do not run the car, have it towed in if necessary and make sure they know the facts and they need to show you what is going on with your engine now.

hth

andy schuck
Old 01-28-2014, 10:17 PM
Administrator

"coast guy" has not been back to this site in the 6 months since he posted last.