Welcome to Camaro Z28!

Welcome to CamaroZ28.Com, the ultimate Source for Camaro enthusiasts! Here you can join over 90,000 Camaro enthusiasts from around the world discussing all things related to Camaros and more. You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions

To gain full access to our forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in over 40 different forums and search/browse from over 5 million posts.
  • Upload your Camaro details to your Garage
  • Post photos, respond to polls and access other special features
  • Gain access to our free marketplace to buy, sell and trade Camaros, parts and more.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so join our community today today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Go Back   CamaroZ28.Com Message Board > 1967-2002 Powertrain Discussion > LS1 Based Engine Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Garage Photos Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Links Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Z28LiveVendor Directory

Reply Post New Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-13-2013, 04:55 PM   #1

LS1 cylinder head

Hi Guys,

I have a 02 SS stock Camaro. The spark plug closes to the firewall on the driver side popped out the cylinder when I tried to start the car. Any suggestions on what I can do to fix it. Would it be easier to try and rethread it myself, have a shop try to fix the cylinder head or replace both heads. I have about 150,000 on the engine. All suggestions are welcomed!! Just frustrated. Only had the car 3 years, never had that problem happen to me before.

Thanks,
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on CamaroZ28.com!
94 Camaro Z-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 02:07 AM   #2

Garage
Re: LS1 cylinder head

That can be one of the hardest to get to. is it possible that it never got tight enough and walked out? in that case just tighten it up. If it actually broke you might have to have a shop do it unless you have the right tools to get in there. I know from just changing the plugs it was very difficult to tight both back ones all the way down. whoever changed them before might of said "good enough" and not torqued it.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:39 PM   #3

Re: LS1 cylinder head

If you can't thread one back in, just pull the head. A shop should be able to fix it pretty reasonable. Worse case, those heads are pretty cheap these days. No need to do both heads, though. I wouldn't put a ton of money into a 150k mile engine unless you are going to rebuild the whole thing.

-Geoff
Old 11-25-2013, 09:39 PM

Reply Post New Thread