LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Ls piston slap sound'system FIX ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 03:08 PM

Lightbulb Ls piston slap sound'system FIX ???

Had piston slap sound's and hard engine rocking re-start after engine up to full temperature. Took PCV out and ran 6 ounces of CRC through intake and slapping noise GONE, also engine rocking on full temperature re-starting GONE
Old 12-03-2016, 06:46 PM
Administrator

Re: Ls piston slap sound'system FIX ???

You sure it wasn't carbon buildup in the combustion chambers, and causing detonation? "Top oil" through the intake is a general cure for that. I had a 455 HO Pontiac in a 1973 Grand Prix. One day I started it and it sounded like someone was hitting the pistons with a 3-pound hammer. Had it towed, mechanic said "watch this", poured in top oil, carbon blew out the exhaust and noise completely disappeared.

Piston slap would not cause the engine to "rock" when started hot. But excessive combustion pressures might.
Old 12-03-2016, 10:21 PM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?

I've read that carbon buildup is one of the possible causes of piston slap, or at least it worsens it. My 98 didn't have piston slap when new, not until about 10 years ago. Maybe I should try that stuff. I see that is applied three ways and two are in the gas and in the oil. Is there a possibility that this would cause my rear crank seal to start leaking again?

Last edited by GaryDoug; 12-03-2016 at 10:29 PM.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:32 AM

Might have to try that one also.Tick,tap,click is back on cold start then goes away when up to full temp.Going to flood intake with CRC to the point it stalls , after that if not cured,may try O-Rings at the oil sump ( GM bulletin- one of many on the subject )