LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

How Many Times Can I Resurface My Stock Flywheel?

Old 04-02-2003, 08:00 PM

How Many Times Can I Resurface My Stock Flywheel?

I'M PREETY SURE THAT MY FLYWHEEL WAS ALREADY RESURFACED ONCE.IF I RESURFACE IT AGAIN;WILL IT BE FINE?
Old 04-02-2003, 08:49 PM

GM says no. You aren't supposed to resurface a flywheel. It changes the distance the slave cyl. has to move to release the clutch. Some shops do however have shims that fit between the flywheel and crank to make up the difference. Check with the machine shop you intend to use, they would know if shims are available or they may have a spec. that they can machine to. Good luck.
Old 04-02-2003, 09:31 PM

How thick is a stock uncut flywheel?
Old 04-02-2003, 09:59 PM

I don't know and don't think GM has a spec. in the service manual. You could see if a dealer parts dept. has one and if they will let you mic. it. Some aftermarket shops have info. that GM doesn't publish so you could try an aftermarket shop, they may know. If in doubt, I would probably replace it if you already have the trans. out and are doing a clutch/pressure plate.
Old 04-03-2003, 12:55 AM

My mechanic strongly encouraged me to find a new flywheel when installing my new clutch.. They had it resurfaced but were afraid it would be too weak for my current setup .. I would stay on the safe side and get a new one.
Old 04-03-2003, 08:28 AM

You can really only clean one up.. your not supposed to resurface the gm flywheel
Old 04-03-2003, 09:06 AM

You've got to open up the transmission to get at the flywheel anyway, right? If you're going to be doing all that work, I'd say it's not worth it to do things cheaply and attempt to re-use the original piece. I'd put in a new one. Unless, of course, you like transmission work.
Old 04-03-2003, 12:19 PM

Get a new one
Old 04-03-2003, 12:52 PM

I would go ahead and re-surface your flywheel. Mine has been resurfaced 2 times now and I have no problems. But I wouldn't do it 3 times.
Old 04-03-2003, 01:52 PM

Originally posted by hsyr
I would go ahead and re-surface your flywheel. Mine has been resurfaced 2 times now and I have no problems. But I wouldn't do it 3 times.
Do you have a ls1 car too? the ls1 and lt1 have a little different flywheel clutch and hydrolics setup.. the difference is.. they are completely different..

Last edited by PhantomTA; 04-03-2003 at 02:01 PM.
Old 04-04-2003, 08:11 PM

Originally posted by PhantomTA
Do you have a ls1 car too? the ls1 and lt1 have a little different flywheel clutch and hydrolics setup.. the difference is.. they are completely different..

Nah I got a LT1, for now . Seriously I think he will be fine with cutting it a second time. But one thing that you will notice is the more you cut it the farther up the clutch pedal has to be depressed to engage. If I was in that situation, I'd just buy a clutch that comes with a flywheel.
Old 04-04-2003, 10:13 PM

Guys. I already put in a new flywheel last night. Thanks.
Old 04-06-2003, 01:58 PM

Originally posted by hsyr
Nah I got a LT1, for now . Seriously I think he will be fine with cutting it a second time. But one thing that you will notice is the more you cut it the farther up the clutch pedal has to be depressed to engage. If I was in that situation, I'd just buy a clutch that comes with a flywheel.
thats the thing.. he wouldnt have been fine.. there ISNT enough material to really even do it once much less twice
Old 04-06-2003, 05:37 PM

I resurfaced my stock flywheel. I did not realize that a new flywheel came with the SPEC #1 clutch kit. So I put the new one. BUT, My clutch was burned again (stupid mechanic) so the clutch was sent back to SPEC, they are going to either rebuild it or replace it. Anyways, should I put the stock flywheel or just turn the one that came with the kit in the first place, since that flywheel is pretty burned too..
Old 08-11-2023, 11:53 AM
Administrator

Re: How Many Times Can I Resurface My Stock Flywheel?

Originally Posted by NickJenkins
I appreciate the info, I am a noob which is why I don't know much. hehe
Actually you are a SPAMMER from India. Keep trying........

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How Many Times Can I Resurface My Stock Flywheel?