LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

is gmmg chambered. louder than borla?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2003, 02:15 PM

Question is gmmg chambered. louder than borla?

is gmmg louder than borla?
Old 03-23-2003, 03:47 PM

Personally having borla on my car and my buddy has gmmg on his car I can tell you the borla is louder. Especially after driving both cars. My .02
Old 03-23-2003, 04:34 PM

the borla may be louder but the gmmg is the best sounding exhaust out ther IMO!
Old 03-23-2003, 05:33 PM

Originally posted by 96LT14u2Nv
the borla may be louder but the gmmg is the best sounding exhaust out ther IMO!
Yup. Without a doubt. Both are way overpriced though. I went with MagnaFlow.

http://www.upwithpunk.com/magnaflow.wmv
Old 03-23-2003, 05:34 PM

Close, but I still feel that the Borla is louder. Better than the GMMG?... Well that is a bit subjective and I will not get into that.
Old 03-23-2003, 07:16 PM

Originally posted by Unusual T/A
Personally having borla on my car and my buddy has gmmg on his car I can tell you the borla is louder. Especially after driving both cars. My .02
The GMMG is by far alot quieter inside the car than the Borla. That is not a good judge of what is louder than what. I couldn't tell you what is or isn't louder. I personally think the Borla sounds like dookey on an LS1 without headers.
Old 03-23-2003, 11:00 PM

I agree with Blkknight on the LS1 borla sound with out headers. I always prefered the Borla on LT1 cars. However a LS1 with the Borla and Borla headers thats a different story. I would take a GMMG as my first choice though.
Old 03-24-2003, 01:15 AM

Originally posted by JoshuaH82

Well I have to throw in some opinion here as well, GMMG sounds great but a little pricey though, I have not heard Borla on any LS1 or LT1, but from what I have heard on a Honda, they sound like a shiznit...

Magnaflow is great sounding as well but I feel that the Dynomouth is a better flowing system versus Corsa, GMMG, Borla and Magnaflow.. Plus the DM will run around 100 - 150 total install w/ out tips, but changing tips goes anywhere from $ 62 - up too $ 300 more... For example I ordered my muffler (bullet race 18") and 2 edelbrock chrome angle cut tips from jegs for $ 107 and $ 95 for install and material to have the custom Y-pipe made out back.. all for around $ 202 and plus I kept the piece that was cut from my I-pipe and stock muffler w/ stock tips...
Old 03-24-2003, 05:32 AM

Originally posted by dmnall
Well I have to throw in some opinion here as well, GMMG sounds great but a little pricey though, I have not heard Borla on any LS1 or LT1, but from what I have heard on a Honda, they sound like a shiznit...

Magnaflow is great sounding as well but I feel that the Dynomouth is a better flowing system versus Corsa, GMMG, Borla and Magnaflow.. Plus the DM will run around 100 - 150 total install w/ out tips, but changing tips goes anywhere from $ 62 - up too $ 300 more... For example I ordered my muffler (bullet race 18") and 2 edelbrock chrome angle cut tips from jegs for $ 107 and $ 95 for install and material to have the custom Y-pipe made out back.. all for around $ 202 and plus I kept the piece that was cut from my I-pipe and stock muffler w/ stock tips...
The MagnaFlow catback flows .03RWHP less than a cutout. You're going to have a hard time topping that with any other catback and you get a really muscular clean sound.
Old 03-24-2003, 05:52 AM

great video man!
i'd have to say that about seals the deal between that and corsa

any more input on in-car normal driving? versus stock specifically

also the actual volume wot noise
i've had the 'bird a couple months i am only beginning to realize i can be heard really, really, REALLY far away when jamming it in the dead of night on a country road
Old 03-24-2003, 06:04 AM

Originally posted by Jimmy17
great video man!
i'd have to say that about seals the deal between that and corsa

any more input on in-car normal driving? versus stock specifically

also the actual volume wot noise
i've had the 'bird a couple months i am only beginning to realize i can be heard really, really, REALLY far away when jamming it in the dead of night on a country road
In car the MagnaFlow is nice and rumbly but not obstructive at all at idle. When you slowly get up to speed you can hear the marvelous rumble growing. I don't know how to describe the in car volume outside of the word "perfect." At least for me. It's not obstructive at all, but it makes it's presence known. Like you can hear it clearly, while talking in a normal tone of voice to the person next to you without it getting in the way.

At WOT it's nice and loud inside. Outside it's loud, but not super loud. You could easily hear me from a couple blocks away. Again, that whole video was on stock headers and Y-pipe. It's a whole new ball game when you delete or gut the cats.

At $450 for a GREAT sound, stainless steel, awesome build quality and the flow of a cutout...I say it really can't be beat. Dynomouth is GREAT, but if you want all stainless steel, etc...you're going to move into the price range of the MagnaFlow catback anyway with no lifetime warranty.
Old 03-24-2003, 04:25 PM

I had both systems on my old LS1 and re-installed the GMMG on my new LS1.

Both are a little louder than stock at idle.

Inside the car, the Borla is a little louder than the GMMG. But you still easily hear them at cruise. The GMMG is heard more from the outside.

At WOT, both exhaust are very loud. You'll be noticed for sure!

Neither system drones either(very nice).

However, one(GMMG) sounds like a muscle car while the other(Borla) is higher-pitched/a little raspy.

I like them both, but I definitely prefer the sound of the GMMG over the Borla on an LS1.

Mike

2002 M6 Z28
Old 03-25-2003, 03:11 AM

The MagnaFlow catback flows .03RWHP less than a cutout. You're going to have a hard time topping that with any other catback and you get a really muscular clean sound.
Well what I am looking for is the exact numbers of what the Magnaflow actually flows.. For example a Flowmaster flows @ 350 CFM...

Where as Loudmouth Flows 2200 + CFM.
Dynomouth Flows @ 2200 + CFM..

Typically a Straight Through Racing Muffler will flow higher numbers... As for the Magnaflow Catback/Just the Muffler itself, how can it be a Straight Through design w/ 1 entrance and 2 Exits ?? Does not sound right to me.. I have nothing against Magnaflow.. If I wanted to keep the muffler underneath the trunk (i.e. Stock area).. Then I would have done either the full catback or just the SS muffler... I wanted a higher flow so w/ One Entrance and one exit, it out flows most stock replacement mufflers and glass packs and gives a nice clean sound @ idle... But @ WOT (3K and above) DM screams like a banshee...

Again not knocking Magnaflow but still to change tips and add DM mod, is still half the cost of the magnaflow which is almost half the cost of Borla, corsa and GMMG...
Old 03-25-2003, 05:28 AM

Where can u buy a Gmmg exhaust and how much we talkin for this "Muscle car sound"
Old 03-25-2003, 10:32 AM

Originally posted by StylezZ28
Where can u buy a Gmmg exhaust and how much we talkin for this "Muscle car sound"
http://www.gmmginc.net/

It runs $700 nowadays without the extra tips.

Quick Reply: is gmmg chambered. louder than borla?