LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Gas gauge problems

Old 03-24-2003, 02:25 PM

Gas gauge problems

My gas gauge was going funky on me last summer,needle moving around on it's own,showing 3/4 then 1/2,sometimes getting stuck on full.I thought maybe it was the float or sending unit but then fall hit and it stopped.Now the weather is warming up again and it started acting up last week.While I was getting gas I'm watching the needle go up to full,come back down to 1/2 then to full,then 3/4,you get the picture.It's like it has a mind of it's own.Anyone ever encounter this before?
Old 03-24-2003, 03:46 PM

Your tank sensor is probably bad. The pain about it is that the sensor and stuff is located on the top of the tank.
Old 03-24-2003, 03:49 PM

Lightbulb No, can't say I have.

But, my initial thought is to check for a loose or frayed wire running from the sending unit to the dash harness.

My theory is that if it were a sunk or stuck float, it would not have "fixed" itself, and if the sending unit itself was bad, it would not register.

That's my theory , so take it with the proverbial grain of salt.

But, maybe when you crawl underneath I'll be right - who knows.

Good Luck !!

Britt
Old 03-24-2003, 03:54 PM
Banned

this may sound weird but my speedo was doing this.....

here it goes

due to the heat the gauge face adhesive peels off and it pushes on the needle not alowing it to move freely.....try tapping the plastic and see if it moves to the right spot....if so then u need to readhesive it back on....

it happened with my speedo it said i was goin 20 when i was doin 80 and i would keep hitting the plastic panel and it would jump to 80......
Old 03-24-2003, 03:54 PM

I have no evidence to back this up.. but I was always told not to leave the key on when filling up your car because it could screw the float up. Always seemed like a silly thing to me, but it takes no real effort to turn my key off when I am getting gas so I do it.
Old 03-25-2003, 03:40 PM

I did have the gauge cluster replaced once because the tripometer kept resetting itself.I've never had the dash off myself.Is there anything back there that might not be making a good ground or loose a connection or something like that??
Old 03-25-2003, 03:46 PM

Talking Ooh ! Oooh ! Mr. Kotter ! I know this one !!

Originally posted by steelerfan
I did have the gauge cluster replaced once because the tripometer kept resetting itself.I've never had the dash off myself.Is there anything back there that might not be making a good ground or loose a connection or something like that??
I replaced the cluster myself, and there is one big rectangular plug in that the cluster fits into. The connector is part of the plastic of the dash, so it's not like the connector could be half in half unplugged.

Well, at least not that I know of.

That's my .02.

Britt
Old 03-25-2003, 03:58 PM

Okay,thanks.I guess that doesn't sound like that would be the problem then unless the gas guage on the cluster can go bad by itself and not affect anything else.Oh well,thought I'd take a shot and ask cause that would be a little easier than playing around with the gas tank
Old 03-25-2003, 04:09 PM

Lightbulb You can still have the gauge cluster tested to ease your mind.

The local Delco reman house quoted me $ 45.00 labor if they did the R & R as opposed to my $ 0.00 to do it, so I did it.

It's easy, and I can e-mail or post the instructions I received from a fellow board member.

Ah, hell - easier than that - here's the old link:

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...threadid=15045

I think it's funny that the old smilies don't show - makes it look way more complex than what it is.

At any rate, my local guys were cool & tested the cluster for free before replacing it under warranty - I'd have to think ( hope ?? ) that yours would be as well.

I guess it all depends on whether or not you think it is easier to pull the cluster than put the car in the air & check the wires.

I'd think cluster myself - don't even have to disconnect the battery.

Hasta la Vista !!

Britt
Old 03-25-2003, 04:36 PM
Banned

did u figure it out?
Old 03-26-2003, 03:45 PM

Yeah,I figured out the cluster removal if that's what you're referring to,but that is evidently not the problem.I guess it must be the sending unit.I was talking to a friend of mine today and he said he had the same problem,he said then one day the guage went to full and never moved again.Unfortunately he doesn't know what's wrong cause he never got it fixed,so no help there!I guess the gas tank has to be dropped to fix it,so if that's the case I'll wait a while and see what it does.
Old 03-26-2003, 03:55 PM
Banned

oh ok.....im pretty sure u have to drop the tank